2007-11-03 16:03:00

by robert

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Transmitting and Receiving SCO data

Hello,

I am trying to write a program that just sends and receives SCO data,
and I am running into some problems during the transmit phase.
Whenever I try to stream out SCO data, the bluetooth dongle is
disconnected from the system, which sometimes just closes the
connection, but other times it crashes the whole machine. (the
program doing the transmitting inevitably crashes).

Is there something special that is required for sending SCO data? I
have looked at all of the test programs and none of them seem to do
anything odd. I am limiting the writes to the MTU size on the
connection, but I am writing multiple times in a row. (another test
program seems to do this)

the code is a little convoluted but I can post a link to it if anyone
is interested.

cheers,
robert

by robert

I don't, I am going to try out the headset only solution to see how
that goes. If I have the same results, then I will do more
investigation into the SCO code otherwise, I must be doing something
wrong. I will post with more details.

--robert

On Nov 5, 2007, at 2:41 PM, Hunyue Yau wrote:

> On Monday 05 November 2007 11:43, robert wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It is a USB dongle and it is on x86 (in vmware). I tried with the
>> SCO patch (against 2.6.21) and noticed the same behavior. I am using
>> a DBT-120 v4, which I read was a relatively reliable and well
>> supported device. Receiving seems to work without any errors, it is
>> just transmitting that is failing.
>
> Do you have a crash dump with the backtrace?
>
> -- Hunyue
>>
>> Does the bluez stack block if it is handed too much data? Anything
>> else i should try?
>>
>> Perhaps I will try using the headset profile, because that transmits
>> data, and will highlight whether it is a problem with my code.
>>
>> nevertheless, being able to cause a crash like this from userspace is
>> somewhat worrisome.
>>
>> --robert

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This sounds a lot like a problem I debugged recently. Is the
>>> bluetooth
>>> dongle on USB? Also what platform (x86 or ???)? What brand and
>>> chipset (if known) is the dongle?
>>>
>>> No one has replied or commented on my post but if you look in the
>>> archives, I have a set of patches that works around/fixes it for
>>> me. It
>>> would be good to confirm I am not the only seeing this problem.
>>>
>>> -- Hunyue

by Hunyue Yau

On Monday 05 November 2007 11:43, robert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It is a USB dongle and it is on x86 (in vmware). I tried with the
> SCO patch (against 2.6.21) and noticed the same behavior. I am using
> a DBT-120 v4, which I read was a relatively reliable and well
> supported device. Receiving seems to work without any errors, it is
> just transmitting that is failing.

Do you have a crash dump with the backtrace?

-- Hunyue

> Does the bluez stack block if it is handed too much data? Anything
> else i should try?
>
> Perhaps I will try using the headset profile, because that transmits
> data, and will highlight whether it is a problem with my code.
>
> nevertheless, being able to cause a crash like this from userspace is
> somewhat worrisome.
>
> --robert
>
> On Nov 5, 2007, at 11:29 AM, Hunyue Yau wrote:
>
> > On Saturday 03 November 2007 09:03, robert wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I am trying to write a program that just sends and receives SCO data,
> >> and I am running into some problems during the transmit phase.
> >> Whenever I try to stream out SCO data, the bluetooth dongle is
> >> disconnected from the system, which sometimes just closes the
> >> connection, but other times it crashes the whole machine. (the
> >> program doing the transmitting inevitably crashes).
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > This sounds a lot like a problem I debugged recently. Is the bluetooth
> > dongle on USB? Also what platform (x86 or ???)? What brand and
> > chipset (if known) is the dongle?
> >
> > No one has replied or commented on my post but if you look in the
> > archives, I have a set of patches that works around/fixes it for
> > me. It
> > would be good to confirm I am not the only seeing this problem.
> >
> > -- Hunyue
> >>
> >> Is there something special that is required for sending SCO data? I
> >> have looked at all of the test programs and none of them seem to do
> >> anything odd. I am limiting the writes to the MTU size on the
> >> connection, but I am writing multiple times in a row. (another test
> >> program seems to do this)
> >>
> >> the code is a little convoluted but I can post a link to it if anyone
> >> is interested.
> >>
> >> cheers,
> >> robert

by robert

Hi,

It is a USB dongle and it is on x86 (in vmware). I tried with the
SCO patch (against 2.6.21) and noticed the same behavior. I am using
a DBT-120 v4, which I read was a relatively reliable and well
supported device. Receiving seems to work without any errors, it is
just transmitting that is failing.

Does the bluez stack block if it is handed too much data? Anything
else i should try?

Perhaps I will try using the headset profile, because that transmits
data, and will highlight whether it is a problem with my code.

nevertheless, being able to cause a crash like this from userspace is
somewhat worrisome.

--robert

On Nov 5, 2007, at 11:29 AM, Hunyue Yau wrote:

> On Saturday 03 November 2007 09:03, robert wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to write a program that just sends and receives SCO data,
>> and I am running into some problems during the transmit phase.
>> Whenever I try to stream out SCO data, the bluetooth dongle is
>> disconnected from the system, which sometimes just closes the
>> connection, but other times it crashes the whole machine. (the
>> program doing the transmitting inevitably crashes).
>
> Hi,
>
> This sounds a lot like a problem I debugged recently. Is the bluetooth
> dongle on USB? Also what platform (x86 or ???)? What brand and
> chipset (if known) is the dongle?
>
> No one has replied or commented on my post but if you look in the
> archives, I have a set of patches that works around/fixes it for
> me. It
> would be good to confirm I am not the only seeing this problem.
>
> -- Hunyue
>>
>> Is there something special that is required for sending SCO data? I
>> have looked at all of the test programs and none of them seem to do
>> anything odd. I am limiting the writes to the MTU size on the
>> connection, but I am writing multiple times in a row. (another test
>> program seems to do this)
>>
>> the code is a little convoluted but I can post a link to it if anyone
>> is interested.
>>
>> cheers,
>> robert

by Hunyue Yau