2005-09-27 23:52:10

by Collin R. Mulliner

Subject: [Bluez-devel] bluetooth filesystem integration

Hi All,

Marcel and I have decided to include btfs into the bluez-utils. Btfs is
for integrating some kind of bluetooth services into the filesystem, so
you could mount an obexftp "share" into your local filesytem. The whole
idea is based on some work I did some time ago
(http://mulliner.org/bluetooth/btfs.php). The system will be based on
FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace).

So this post is basically to anounce btfs and to gether some ideas on
what you guys think is need and useful.

... Collin

--
Collin R. Mulliner <[email protected]>
BETAVERSiON Systems [http://www.betaversion.net]

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Dimitry,

> > do you have any thoughts how the directory structure of this filesystem
> > should look like. Let's discuss how we design it.
>
> Maybe it's nice to look at how the KDE bluetooth project has
> implemented this. They already overlay some sort of 'virtual'
> filesystem on top of Konqueror, which is similar to:
>
> bluetooth root
> device1
> service1
> service2
> device2
> device3
>
> etc. See for instance:

the important thing is to thing about multiple local adapters. We have
to deal with it no matter what.

Regards

Marcel

by Collin R. Mulliner

> hink is need and useful.
>
> please also post ideas on the directory layout. How we handle multiple
> local devices and the remote devices.

so the original filesystem layout was:

/CFG/
/CFG/inquiry_duration
/CFG/cache_time
/CFG/SCAN_NOW

just the config

/OPUSH/
/OPUSH/CollinsPhone
/OPUSH/myPalm

holds names of all devices which publish a OPUSH service record
cp <somefile> /OPUSH/myPalm (would start OPUSH to the device)

/DEVICES/
/DEVICES/00:12:34:56:78
/DEVICES/00:AB:CD:EF:AA
/DEVICES/00:1A:2B:3C:4D

just bd_addrs of all visible devices

I the future I also want to have a directory to represent device and
service classes (e.g. all printers).

And even more information about a device, like feature list or
manufacturer etc.. This should go somewhere like /DEVICES/bd_addr/info

... Collin

--
Collin R. Mulliner <[email protected]>
BETAVERSiON Systems [http://www.betaversion.net]
info/pgp: finger [email protected]
All programmers are optimists --Frederick P. Brooks, Jr.

by Dimitry Andric

On 2005-09-28 at 11:32:10 Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> do you have any thoughts how the directory structure of this filesystem
> should look like. Let's discuss how we design it.

Maybe it's nice to look at how the KDE bluetooth project has
implemented this. They already overlay some sort of 'virtual'
filesystem on top of Konqueror, which is similar to:

bluetooth root
device1
service1
service2
device2
device3

etc. See for instance:

http://kde-bluetooth.sourceforge.net/screenshots/index.html#kioslaves

Attachments:
(No filename) (183.00 B)

2005-09-28 14:42:32

by Bastien Nocera

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 13:19 +0200, Charles Bueche wrote:
> On mer, 2005-09-28 at 11:32 +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> > Hi Charles,

> > > That will be great, eg to automatically rsync new pictures taken from my
> > > phone to a local dir. I know there is a kbluetoothd plugin, but
> > > rsync/btfs seems much more "UNIX-like" to me.
> > >
> > > What would be great is to see phone contacts as virtual VCard files (one
> > > file per contact). Not sure if it is possible, but you asked for
> > > ideas :-)
> > >
> > > Seeing my Palm T5 agenda as iCal file would be the top... OK, I stop
> > > dreaming :-/
> >
> > do you have any thoughts how the directory structure of this filesystem
> > should look like. Let's discuss how we design it.
>
> not sure if my ideas make sense, as I don't know the internal of
> bluez/btfs/devices. My view is from a user's point.
>
> - first level : device name
>
> - second level : the device's applications. Examples :
<snip>

Think of ObexFTP as FTP over Bluetooth. There's no per-application
ObexFTP service...

---
Bastien Nocera <[email protected]>
"Manchester United in Brazil? I hope they all get bloody diarrhoea" -
Brian Clough, on Manchester United's decision to opt out of the FA Cup
to play in the World Club Championship in 2000.

by Charles Bueche

On mer, 2005-09-28 at 11:32 +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Charles,
>
> > > So this post is basically to anounce btfs and to gether some ideas on
> > > what you guys think is need and useful.
> >
> > That will be great, eg to automatically rsync new pictures taken from my
> > phone to a local dir. I know there is a kbluetoothd plugin, but
> > rsync/btfs seems much more "UNIX-like" to me.
> >
> > What would be great is to see phone contacts as virtual VCard files (one
> > file per contact). Not sure if it is possible, but you asked for
> > ideas :-)
> >
> > Seeing my Palm T5 agenda as iCal file would be the top... OK, I stop
> > dreaming :-/
>
> do you have any thoughts how the directory structure of this filesystem
> should look like. Let's discuss how we design it.

not sure if my ideas make sense, as I don't know the internal of
bluez/btfs/devices. My view is from a user's point.

- first level : device name

- second level : the device's applications. Examples :
- contacts
- agenda
- pictures
- sd_card_1
- etc

- third level : the files
- read & write records from/to contact list
- read & write events from/to calendar
- read & write events from/to to-do
- read pictures out of a camera/phone
- read & write files to the "storage area" (eg mp3 to a SD card in a
Palm)

I don't know if it's deep enough, it's just a first thought.

some more ideas :

- attributes of files should make sense. Examples :
- for events, they could reflect the event date instead of the event
creation date
- for a mp3 file, they could be derived from the tag
- for a contact, should be name_givenname.vcf (or configurable as
givenname_name.vcf for those reversed people :-)

Charles
--
Charles Bueche <[email protected]>
sand, snow, wave, wind and net -surfer

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Charles,

On mar, 2005-09-27 at 16:52 -0700, Collin R. Mulliner wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Marcel and I have decided to include btfs into the bluez-utils. Btfs is
> for integrating some kind of bluetooth services into the filesystem, so
> you could mount an obexftp "share" into your local filesytem. The whole
> idea is based on some work I did some time ago
> (http://mulliner.org/bluetooth/btfs.php). The system will be based on
> FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace).
>
> So this post is basically to anounce btfs and to gether some ideas on
> what you guys think is need and useful.

That will be great, eg to automatically rsync new pictures taken from my
phone to a local dir. I know there is a kbluetoothd plugin, but
rsync/btfs seems much more "UNIX-like" to me.

What would be great is to see phone contacts as virtual VCard files (one
file per contact). Not sure if it is possible, but you asked for
ideas :-)

Seeing my Palm T5 agenda as iCal file would be the top... OK, I stop
dreaming :-/

thanks anyway for you great work.

Charles
--