2007-02-01 10:59:20

by Fernando Unzu

Subject: [Bluez-devel] About hci_inquiry (Num_Responses)

Hello,
I'm playing with hci_inquiry function and I have realizedthat Num_Responses,
who is passed like an argument to the function, does not do wath I want.

I thought that this value told how many devices are scanned until the scanning
stopped.
But this value tells how many devices "respond" the scan message (so one same
device can "respond" several times).

With the hcidump I have realized on that.

I have realized this issue because I put this value to 7, for example, and 7
seconds to the len, but, without find the 7 devices, and without spend all
the time, the inquiry returns and saying only 3 devices found (for example).

There is any way to solve this? Or is the implementation of this function to
do so...

There is any solution? Can I, in any way, say the hci_inquiry to stop the scan
only when 7 (f.e) different devices respond, or only the unique solution is
to scan for over 40 or more devices, and find all devices, although others
respond several times...

Can anybody tell me where is the hci_inquiry code to take a study?

Thank you.

by Fernando Unzu

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] About hci_inquiry (Num_Responses)

> Hi Fernando,
>
> You can filter the HCI Inquiry Result Event, check the event content
> and send the inquiry cancel command when you want(after 7 different
>
> Another approach is develop an application using the BlueZ D-Bus API.
> Using the method DiscoverDevicesWithoutNameResolving/CancelDiscovery
> and filtering for RemoteDeviceFound signals it is possible get the
> result that you want.
>
> BR,
> Claudio.

I have been studying the security code (in which it can be the function
inquiry result, and anothers, but I have not known how I can do it.

I don't know how I can check if the device is discovered already.
Who have this information?
And, how can I avoid this repeated device to include in the information of
devices that have responded?

Thank you for the help

by Vikas Sinha

Hi Fernando,
you can get code at
http://www-md.e-technik.uni-rostock.de/ma/hm27/uebung_hnp_2004/documentation/bluez-2.10-html/
line no 555.
Here you will fine all documentation about blueZ

It intresting to know about it. Well i find the same and I develop an
application in which i put its value to 255[i.e. Max] so tat I will get
information about all its devices.

On 2/1/07, Fernando Unzu <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm playing with hci_inquiry function and I have realizedthat
> Num_Responses,
> who is passed like an argument to the function, does not do wath I want.
>
> I thought that this value told how many devices are scanned until the
> scanning
> stopped.
> But this value tells how many devices "respond" the scan message (so one
> same
> device can "respond" several times).
>
> With the hcidump I have realized on that.
>
> I have realized this issue because I put this value to 7, for example, and
> 7
> seconds to the len, but, without find the 7 devices, and without spend all
> the time, the inquiry returns and saying only 3 devices found (for
> example).
>
> There is any way to solve this? Or is the implementation of this function
> do so...
>
> There is any solution? Can I, in any way, say the hci_inquiry to stop the
> scan
> only when 7 (f.e) different devices respond, or only the unique solution
> is
> to scan for over 40 or more devices, and find all devices, although others
> respond several times...
>
> Can anybody tell me where is the hci_inquiry code to take a study?
>
> Thank you.

Impossible
itself contain
I M Possible

Vikas

Attachments:
(No filename) (2.11 kB)
(No filename) (2.83 kB)
(No filename) (374.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Claudio Takahasi

On 2/1/07, Fernando Unzu <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm playing with hci_inquiry function and I have realizedthat Num_Responses,
> who is passed like an argument to the function, does not do wath I want.
>
> I thought that this value told how many devices are scanned until the scanning
> stopped.
> But this value tells how many devices "respond" the scan message (so one same
> device can "respond" several times).
>
> With the hcidump I have realized on that.
>
> I have realized this issue because I put this value to 7, for example, and 7
> seconds to the len, but, without find the 7 devices, and without spend all
> the time, the inquiry returns and saying only 3 devices found (for example).
>
> There is any way to solve this? Or is the implementation of this function to
> do so...
>
> There is any solution? Can I, in any way, say the hci_inquiry to stop the scan
> only when 7 (f.e) different devices respond, or only the unique solution is
> to scan for over 40 or more devices, and find all devices, although others
> respond several times...
>
> Can anybody tell me where is the hci_inquiry code to take a study?
>
> Thank you.

Hi Fernando,

You can filter the HCI Inquiry Result Event, check the event content
and send the inquiry cancel command when you want(after 7 different

Another approach is develop an application using the BlueZ D-Bus API.
Using the method DiscoverDevicesWithoutNameResolving/CancelDiscovery
and filtering for RemoteDeviceFound signals it is possible get the
result that you want.

BR,
Claudio.
Claudio Takahasi