2003-06-11 15:33:21

by Xavier Garreau

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] [ANN] Zaurus BlueZ kernel packages for ROM v3.10

> > kernel modules into one big package. I like to see the kernel stuff
> > seperated from the userspace tools.
>
> Yeah me too. Particularly because it's much easier to build the
> user-space tools with a cross-compiler.

Not in this release.

> I will think about doing this if I get some time. For now, I have
> uploaded the latest basic user-space binaries separately to
> ftp://rococosoft.com/pub/zaurus with instructions for installing them in
> the right places. It would not be too hard to write packaging scripts
> for them --- indeed this is something anyone could do using the
> ipkg-build script; volunteers?

I did it : http://fichiers.xgarreau.org/zaurus/bluez_2.4.18_arm.ipk

It installs the files in the right directories, make the symlinks, try to
guess what card it is and bring device up.

Please keep me informed of new builds so that i keep the package up to date.

BR
--
Xavier Garreau
http://www.xgarreau.org/

2003-06-29 04:17:57

by Justin Karneges

Ok, I thought of a few more things, so to jumpstart the discussion I'll say
them now:

> > It installs the files in the right directories, make the symlinks, try to
> > guess what card it is and bring device up.

First, what is this about card detection during ipk install? I didn't have a
problem with that (I inserted my card after install), and IMO there should be
no such detection in the installer if there is.

Second, rfcomm is missing.

Third, the /dev nodes are not created. When they are, ensure that they can
survive a reboot.

For the future, I think hcid should be run on install and on future bootups,
as it is required to do anything useful. I'm not sure about sdpd though (i
admit i'm not up on what sdp does, can someone shed some light if this is
needed?). Whatever daemons are run should have proper pid accounting in
/var, so that front-ends can access them. For instance, my GUI that modifies
/etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf will need a way to find hcid's pid so it can send
HUP.

Then also pin handling: There should be a /usr/bin/bluepin that does the
following:
- check to see if Qtopia is up.
- if not, echo ERR.
- else, call my qt btpin program (let's assume it is /usr/bin/btpin)

This way the pin should properly work even during the moment where hcid is
running but qtopia is not fully booted yet.

I think this should do it. Am I missing anything?

By the way, you may see my GUI package here:

http://www.affinix.com/~justin/zaurus-bluetooth-0.6.tar.gz

It is rather old, but works. Unfortunately, it seems the dialer part does not
work on the new Sharp ROM. Argh, I'll have to fix this ..

-Justin

by Justin Karneges

Hi,

I'm working towards easy Bluetooth on the Zaurus. I have a bluez GUI tool and
qtopia dialer plugin in the works.

However, getting bluez installed was never easy. In the past, I was using the
ipks available at bluez.sf.net, which were never very complete.

Today, I sought to remedy this, and tried cross compiling modules and the
libs/utilities. I ran into a heap of trouble, and then discovered this
thread. I'm glad someone else is looking into this stuff too. :)

My original goal was to get this working with kernel 2.4.6, but I'm not sure
how realistic that is. I didn't know about the new sharp ROM until today,
which I have now installed. I guess it is acceptable to work with this as a
target, and considering it comes with kernel 2.4.18, it should make a lot of
things easier.

Xavier's package looks good. The only flaw I think is that it does not set up
/etc/bluetooth.

I'd like to see some secrets shared. Could Steve or Xavier respond to me here
or on the list, so that we can make something more official?

-Justin