2004-03-31 22:11:00

by Colin Pinkney

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Ambicom BT2000C CF Card Driver

I've got a contact at Ambicom now that is being quite helpful with technical
questions and as I still have a BT2000C CF card on loan from someone I hope
to push forward with writing a driver for it (or modify an existing driver).

The Ambicom BT2000C card still uses the OX16c950 UART chip like the BT2000E
(which the bt950 driver is for), but now uses the CSR Bluetooth chip instead
of the Ericsson chip.

So I was wondering if there might be a quick(er) way of developing a driver.
Could I...

1) Take the OX16c950 support from the bt950_cs and combine it with, say, the
CSR support in btuart_cs?

or

2) Add OX16c950 support to hciattach and use hci_uart as is?

I am quite familiar with using and setting up BlueZ but I'm new to developing
for it, so I might be talking rubbish.

Has anyone any thoughts on this? Is there a better way of going about this?
I'm guessing Marcel would like the support to be put in an existing driver if
possible, instead of having yet another driver to maintain.

I will be looking through the existing driver source code, but it would be
nice to have a plan of attack so to speak to make it easier.

Colin Pinkney
http://www.cpinkney.org.uk

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Ambicom BT2000C CF Card Driver

Hi Colin,

> I've got a contact at Ambicom now that is being quite helpful with technical
> questions and as I still have a BT2000C CF card on loan from someone I hope
> to push forward with writing a driver for it (or modify an existing driver).
>
> The Ambicom BT2000C card still uses the OX16c950 UART chip like the BT2000E
> (which the bt950 driver is for), but now uses the CSR Bluetooth chip instead
> of the Ericsson chip.
>
> So I was wondering if there might be a quick(er) way of developing a driver.
> Could I...
>
> 1) Take the OX16c950 support from the bt950_cs and combine it with, say, the
> CSR support in btuart_cs?
>
> or
>
> 2) Add OX16c950 support to hciattach and use hci_uart as is?

I really prefer method 2 and it could already work out of the box with
2.6, because there is a new serial driver core. On the other hand we saw
problems with some serial based cards and serial_cs. Some people should
try it and see what happens.

Regards

Marcel