2004-06-10 22:32:31

by Reza Naima

Subject: [Bluez-devel] voice (SCO) applications

I was looking for, and couldn't find, any application for linux that
supported voice -- as in using your computer as a handsfree for a mobile
phone. I know this is possible with the drivers that came with the
dbt-120 and windows. And from my understanding, there is kernel driver
support for it, but does anyone know of an application that exists that
is able to act as a handsfree device?

Thanks,
Reza

p.s. if none exists, does anyone have any idea of how to go about
building such an application?

by Simon Vogl

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] voice (SCO) applications

Hi Reza,
besides Fred, I also wrote a (commandline) handsfree app - have a look at

http://www.soft.uni-linz.ac.at/_wiki/tiki-index.php?page=3DProjectBluezHa=
ndsfree

Cheers
Simon

Reza Naima wrote:
> I was looking for, and couldn't find, any application for linux that
> supported voice -- as in using your computer as a handsfree for a mobil=
> phone. I know this is possible with the drivers that came with the
> dbt-120 and windows. And from my understanding, there is kernel driver
> support for it, but does anyone know of an application that exists that
> is able to act as a handsfree device?
>=20
> Thanks,
> Reza
>=20
> p.s. if none exists, does anyone have any idea of how to go about
> building such an application? =20
>=20
>=20

--=20
Dr. Simon Vogl
Institut f=FCr Pervasive Computing, Johannes Kepler Universit=E4t Linz
Altenberger Stra=DFe 69, A-4040 Linz, Austria

Tel: +43 732 2468-8517, Fax: +43 732 2468-8426
mailto: [email protected], http://www.soft.uni-linz.ac.at/

by Fred Schaettgen

On Friday 11 June 2004 00:32, Reza Naima wrote:
> I was looking for, and couldn't find, any application for linux that
> supported voice -- as in using your computer as a handsfree for a mobile
> phone. I know this is possible with the drivers that came with the
> dbt-120 and windows. And from my understanding, there is kernel driver
> support for it, but does anyone know of an application that exists that
> is able to act as a handsfree device?

I started with a handsfree applications as a part of the KDE Bluetooth
Framework (kde-bluetooth.sf.net) a while ago, but it's not working too well
at the moment. It uses arts as a sound backend, which turned out to be no
good idea. Maybe using alsa directly would give better results, but that
would be harder to configure (remember, we are targeting KDE users ;) I also
had rather mixed results depending on the kernel and bluetooth dongle I used.
Since I don't have too much time at the moment and not too many people were
complaining about kbthandsfree, it is basically on hold and waiting for me or
someone else to continue the work.

regards
Fred