2004-08-26 16:52:56

by Till Harbaum

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Fighting with SCO

Hi,

i have a BlueTrek G2 bluetooth headset and i am just unable to get
it work with bluez.

I can connect to it with hstool and it even sends me the AT+VGS-Volume
commands and AT+CKPD=200 whenever i press the button. And if i send RING to
it, then it rings.

But it won't send me any sco data. I have tested this with several different
usb dongles (d-link dbt-120, the microsoft dongle delivered with the
bluetooth desktop (both csr) and a Allnet WBT-3021 (broadcom chip)).

If i make scotest send some funny patterns to the headset i get some very
quiet hissing like some audio transmitter has been switched on, but no actual
audio signal is being transmitted.

Any hints?

Regards,
Till

BTW: Marcel: The l2cap buffer management student thesis is out ...

--
Dr.-Ing. Till Harbaum Tel.: +49 721 4998963
BeeCon GmbH Fax: +49 721 4998962

by Till Harbaum

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Fighting with SCO

Hi,

the problem seems to be PC/USB related. All the dongles work on my laptop
(based on intels 440bx with uhci), but they all don't work on my sis/ohci
based desktop.

SCO is enabled for hci_usb on both machines and the sco modules gets loaded.
The machine having problems is running kernel 2.4.26 with the built-in bluez,
the notebook is running 2.4.27

Anyway, i can live with the fact, that only the notebook works. Thanks for you
help.

Ciao,
Till

--
Dr.-Ing. Till Harbaum Tel.: +49 721 4998963
BeeCon GmbH Fax: +49 721 4998962
Haid-und-Neu Strasse 7, 76131 Karlsruhe Mobil: +49 179 9087904
[email protected] http://www.beecon.de

2004-08-26 20:36:33

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Till,

> > do you played with the PS key settings, because the default for the Acer
> > was sending SCO traffic over the PCM interface. Use the revision command
> > to check where the SCO traffic is routed through.
> No, i didn't. The factory settings of my BT-600 are:

so the guys from Acer learned something ;)

> phobos:/home/harbaum # hciconfig hci0 revision
> hci0: Type: USB
> BD Address: 00:02:72:B1:59:03 ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> HCI 16.4
> Chip version: BlueCore02
> Max key size: 56 bit
> SCO mapping: HCI
>
> But so says the DBT-120 dongle i did not have success with:
> hci0: Type: USB
> BD Address: 00:0D:88:C0:3C:E4 ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> HCI 15.3
> Chip version: BlueCore02
> Max key size: 56 bit
> SCO mapping: HCI
>
> I tried this command at work with the microsoft dongle, but the i only got
> 16.1 as the hci version and then the program hanged. The kernel log showed
> some hci timeouts.

Maybe this depends on the USB host controller chip. I got reports that
some ALI chips misbehave when it comes to ISOC transfers. If you have
access to MacOS X you can unpack the firmware update from Apple and use
GenericCSR.dfu and btdfu-0.3 to update your D-Link dongle to HCI 18.1
and HID proxy. Don't try this if it is a revision B4 dongle.

You should also check that the SCO support for the hci_usb driver was
compiled in.

Regards

Marcel

by Till Harbaum

Hi Marcel,

On Thursday 26 August 2004 21:23, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> do you played with the PS key settings, because the default for the Acer
> was sending SCO traffic over the PCM interface. Use the revision command
> to check where the SCO traffic is routed through.
No, i didn't. The factory settings of my BT-600 are:
phobos:/home/harbaum # hciconfig hci0 revision
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:02:72:B1:59:03 ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
HCI 16.4
Chip version: BlueCore02
Max key size: 56 bit
SCO mapping: HCI

But so says the DBT-120 dongle i did not have success with:
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:0D:88:C0:3C:E4 ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
HCI 15.3
Chip version: BlueCore02
Max key size: 56 bit
SCO mapping: HCI

I tried this command at work with the microsoft dongle, but the i only got
16.1 as the hci version and then the program hanged. The kernel log showed
some hci timeouts.

> Send me the output of "hcitool info ...".
phobos:/home/harbaum # hcitool info 00:06:C5:03:C8:7E
Requesting information ...
BD Address: 00:06:C5:03:C8:7E
Device Name: BlueTrek G2
LMP Version: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subversion: 0x42c
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
Features: 0xfc 0xff 0x0f 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00

<encryption>
<slot offset>
<timing accuracy>
<role switch>
<hold mode>
<sniff mode>
<park state>
<RSSI>
<channel quality>
<SCO link>
<HV2 packets>
<HV3 packets>
<u-law log>
<A-law log>
<CVSD>
<paging scheme>
<power control>
<transparent SCO>

Ciao,
Till

--
Dr.Ing. Till Harbaum, [email protected]

2004-08-26 19:23:05

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Till,

> guess what ... my Acer Dongle at home just works fine. I'll try to figure out,
> what the reason is.

do you played with the PS key settings, because the default for the Acer
was sending SCO traffic over the PCM interface. Use the revision command
to check where the SCO traffic is routed through.

> So you may add the BlueTrek G2 to the list of supported devices.

Send me the output of "hcitool info ...".

> At least my broadcom dongle says it has 0 sco slots of 16 bytes each. I think
> this is a clear indication, that the dongle does not support sco.

It is Broadcom. Their support to the community is very bad.

Regards

Marcel

by Till Harbaum

Hi,

guess what ... my Acer Dongle at home just works fine. I'll try to figure out,
what the reason is.

So you may add the BlueTrek G2 to the list of supported devices.

At least my broadcom dongle says it has 0 sco slots of 16 bytes each. I think
this is a clear indication, that the dongle does not support sco.

Thanks,
Till

--
Dr.Ing. Till Harbaum, [email protected]

2004-08-26 17:27:11

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Till,

> i have a BlueTrek G2 bluetooth headset and i am just unable to get
> it work with bluez.
>
> I can connect to it with hstool and it even sends me the AT+VGS-Volume
> commands and AT+CKPD=200 whenever i press the button. And if i send RING to
> it, then it rings.
>
> But it won't send me any sco data. I have tested this with several different
> usb dongles (d-link dbt-120, the microsoft dongle delivered with the
> bluetooth desktop (both csr) and a Allnet WBT-3021 (broadcom chip)).
>
> If i make scotest send some funny patterns to the headset i get some very
> quiet hissing like some audio transmitter has been switched on, but no actual
> audio signal is being transmitted.

actually I don't expect that the Broadcom device will work. Even if they
say that SCO over HCI is supported it behaves somekind of weird with
some USB host controller chips. All your devices should set to SCO over
HCI by default, but you may check this with "hciconfig hci0 revision".

According to the Headset profile I think the SCO channel must be
established by the audio gateway after some command was sent. Or after
you received an OK. I only tested the hstest program with a HBH-10 and
the Bluespoon analog/digital. Run "hcidump -x" and check if there is
something special on the link.

> BTW: Marcel: The l2cap buffer management student thesis is out ...

This is great. Please inform me about the results.

Regards

Marcel