2004-11-25 09:11:24

by Alain Volmat

Subject: [Bluez-devel] a2play and Toshiba SR-1 Bluetooth Headset

Hello guys,

I just decided to try a2play&co with my old Toshiba AV Headset
(pretty old actually, bought that I think maybe at least 1 year ago,
it was an option of Dynabook serie).

Well, it didn't work well, it seems to fail during the connection/configuration
phase. Since I never heared you speaking about this headset I think you
might be interested in the several log I took (just ask me if you want
some other info).

I divided, sox, sbcenc, a2play into 3 steps so that's why the command
line take a .sbc file.

[alain@rillette btsco]$ ./a2play 08:00:46:A4:C5:C3 Treasure_01.sbc
subbands = 1
allocation method = 1
channel_mode = 2
blocks = 3
sampling frequency = 2
bitpool = 32
frame len = 72
Using address: 08:00:46:A4:C5:C3
Found A2DP Sink
Connected [imtu 672, omtu 2048, flush_to 65535]
seid = 1
got capabilities response
sent set_config
set config rejected
couldn't get stream psm

I also attach two logs I took with hcidump, the first time with
hcidump and the second time in RAW dump (hcidump --raw).

sorry I don't plan to jump into the code to see what's wrong but
if I can be of any help (testing/sending logs .... ) please let me
know.

Alain

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.13 kB)
dump_sr-1.1 (5.32 kB)
dump_sr-1.1-raw (2.64 kB)

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Henryk,

> > this don't answers my question. If we don't use it in set
> > configuration then we don't have add the content protection header?
>
> Yes. Because if we don't set it in the configuration how should the
> other device know that we were using it and with which configuration?
> After all there are at least two content protection mechanisms
> available.

and the next magic question is, does Toshiba also know this ;)

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Sebastien,

> > actually for me it is not clear if we have to insert that header (even
> > with no content protection information) when the capabilities shows that
> > record. Maybe I missed something in the specification.
>
> In fact you have to insert the content protection header only if you
> want to use it.
>
> This capablity is optional, so you can skip it during the stream
> configuration process.

this don't answers my question. If we don't use it in set configuration
then we don't have add the content protection header?

Regards

Marcel

by Henryk Plötz

Moin,

--
Henryk Pl?tz
Gr??e aus Berlin

Attachments:
(No filename) (590.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Sebastien HENRIO

Hi,

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Henryk,
>=20
>=20
>>>For me it is not clear if we have to set them, ignore them or what to
>>>do with them. Do we have to insert the content protection header in
>>>the media payload if these capability is present?
>>
>>Obviously we may only insert the content protection header if we reques=
>>content protection during set configuration. However, I don't remember
>>any document requiring us to do that. I think Content protection is
>>completely optional and we would only use that if we were a paranoid
>>Sony device that believed everybody else on the planet was after us to
>>steal our music.
>=20
>=20
> actually for me it is not clear if we have to insert that header (even
> with no content protection information) when the capabilities shows tha=
> record. Maybe I missed something in the specification.

In fact you have to insert the content protection header only if you=20
want to use it.

This capablity is optional, so you can skip it during the stream=20
configuration process.

Best Regards
S=E9bastien

by Brad Midgley

Alain

>>You can try to hack the a2play.c to use SEID 3 instead of 1 and see what
>>the audio sink on SEID 3 offers you. Run the hcidump 1.15.

a2play.c from cvs should detect the additional seid values and skip
those that aren't audio media type and sbc codec type. i'm not sure if i
should be checking to make sure the seid is an audio sink but it is past
my bedtime... :)

brad

by Brad Midgley

hey

> AVDTP(s): Discover rsp: transaction 0
> ACP SEID 1 - Audio Sink
> ACP SEID 3 - Audio Sink
> ACP SEID 4 - Audio Source

i made a whack at receiving multiple seid records but it's wrong... the
seid part got put in the part of the packet that doesn't get repeated.

i will give this the once-over tomorrow and hopefully have something
that will discover seid 3 on the toshiba.

brad

by Alain Volmat

Hi Marcel,

* Marcel Holtmann [Fri, 26 Nov 2004 at 05:41 +0100]
<quote>
> Hi Alain,
>
> > I remember now that this headset can also be used (using some tools from
> > toshiba) for speech recognization. Based on the toshiba windows tools,
> > the settings for this voice recognition mode and audio mode is different,
> > so there is a chance that this 2nd SEID is used for that purpose, using
> > a Toshiba specific codec.
>
> but if you wanna record something from a headphone this must be a audio
> source.

Oups sorry you're right, I missed that point.

> However this makes somekind of sense, because the SEID 2 is
> missing in their list and they maybe use SEID 3 and SEID 4 together. So
> for SEID 4 the same capabilities should be expected as for SEID 3.

You're 100% right .. (see my previous email).

Alain

> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Alain Volmat

Hi marcel,

* Marcel Holtmann [Fri, 26 Nov 2004 at 05:29 +0100]
<quote>
> Hi Alain,
>
> > > You can try to hack the a2play.c to use SEID 3 instead of 1 and see what
> > > the audio sink on SEID 3 offers you. Run the hcidump 1.15.
> >
> > The SEID 1 is pretty weird in fact ... at least doesn't offer things that
> > can be decoded by hcidump (sorry guys .. just no time now to read AV specs
> > in details).
>
> you meant SEID 3, right? Please do the same for SEID 4. We can't do
> anything useful with audio source, but it is nice to know what it is.

Yeah sorry, that was SEID 3. In case of SEID 4, it is same as SEID 3,
but here's the log:

> ACL data: handle 0x0028 flags 0x02 dlen 12
L2CAP(d): cid 0x0041 len 8 [psm 25]
AVDTP(s): Discover rsp: transaction 0
ACP SEID 1 - Audio Sink
ACP SEID 3 - Audio Sink
ACP SEID 4 - Audio Source
< ACL data: handle 0x0028 flags 0x02 dlen 7
L2CAP(d): cid 0x0040 len 3 [psm 25]
AVDTP(s): Capabilities cmd: transaction 1
ACP SEID 4
> HCI Event: Number of Completed Packets (0x13) plen 5
> ACL data: handle 0x0028 flags 0x02 dlen 19
L2CAP(d): cid 0x0041 len 15 [psm 25]
AVDTP(s): Capabilities rsp: transaction 1
Media Transport
Media Codec - non-A2DP
04 00 01 00 01 00 FC

Alain

> > > ACL data: handle 0x0028 flags 0x02 dlen 12
> > L2CAP(d): cid 0x0041 len 8 [psm 25]
> > AVDTP(s): Discover rsp: transaction 0
> > ACP SEID 1 - Audio Sink
> > ACP SEID 3 - Audio Sink
> > ACP SEID 4 - Audio Source
> > < ACL data: handle 0x0028 flags 0x02 dlen 7
> > L2CAP(d): cid 0x0040 len 3 [psm 25]
> > AVDTP(s): Capabilities cmd: transaction 1
> > ACP SEID 3
> > > HCI Event: Number of Completed Packets (0x13) plen 5
> > > ACL data: handle 0x0028 flags 0x02 dlen 19
> > L2CAP(d): cid 0x0041 len 15 [psm 25]
> > AVDTP(s): Capabilities rsp: transaction 1
> > Media Transport
> > Media Codec - non-A2DP
> > 04 00 01 00 01 00 FC
>
> So they use their own codec here. It is fine, but doesn't help us and
> even the specification wouldn't tell us anymore. Actually I expect to
> see a MP3 codec.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Alain,

> I remember now that this headset can also be used (using some tools from
> toshiba) for speech recognization. Based on the toshiba windows tools,
> the settings for this voice recognition mode and audio mode is different,
> so there is a chance that this 2nd SEID is used for that purpose, using
> a Toshiba specific codec.

but if you wanna record something from a headphone this must be a audio
source. However this makes somekind of sense, because the SEID 2 is
missing in their list and they maybe use SEID 3 and SEID 4 together. So
for SEID 4 the same capabilities should be expected as for SEID 3.

Regards

Marcel

by Alain Volmat

Hi All,

I remember now that this headset can also be used (using some tools from
toshiba) for speech recognization. Based on the toshiba windows tools,
the settings for this voice recognition mode and audio mode is different,
so there is a chance that this 2nd SEID is used for that purpose, using
a Toshiba specific codec.

Alain

* Alain Volmat [Fri, 26 Nov 2004 at 13:11 +0900]
<quote>
> Hi Marcel,
>
> > You can try to hack the a2play.c to use SEID 3 instead of 1 and see what
> > the audio sink on SEID 3 offers you. Run the hcidump 1.15.
>
> The SEID 1 is pretty weird in fact ... at least doesn't offer things that
> can be decoded by hcidump (sorry guys .. just no time now to read AV specs
> in details).
>
> > ACL data: handle 0x0028 flags 0x02 dlen 12
> L2CAP(d): cid 0x0041 len 8 [psm 25]
> AVDTP(s): Discover rsp: transaction 0
> ACP SEID 1 - Audio Sink
> ACP SEID 3 - Audio Sink
> ACP SEID 4 - Audio Source
> < ACL data: handle 0x0028 flags 0x02 dlen 7
> L2CAP(d): cid 0x0040 len 3 [psm 25]
> AVDTP(s): Capabilities cmd: transaction 1
> ACP SEID 3
> > HCI Event: Number of Completed Packets (0x13) plen 5
> > ACL data: handle 0x0028 flags 0x02 dlen 19
> L2CAP(d): cid 0x0041 len 15 [psm 25]
> AVDTP(s): Capabilities rsp: transaction 1
> Media Transport
> Media Codec - non-A2DP
> 04 00 01 00 01 00 FC
>
> Alain

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Alain,

Am Fri, 26 Nov 2004 04:40:49 +0100 schrieb Marcel Holtmann:

> For me it is not clear if we have to set them, ignore them or what to
> do with them. Do we have to insert the content protection header in
> the media payload if these capability is present?

Obviously we may only insert the content protection header if we request
content protection during set configuration. However, I don't remember
any document requiring us to do that. I think Content protection is
completely optional and we would only use that if we were a paranoid
Sony device that believed everybody else on the planet was after us to
steal our music.

--
Henryk Pl?tz
Gr??e aus Berlin
~~~~~~~ Un-CDs, nein danke! http://www.heise.de/ct/cd-register/ ~~~~~~~
~ Help Microsoft fight software piracy: Give Linux to a friend today! ~

Attachments:
(No filename) (811.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Alain,

> actually I was just about to send a new mail to the mailing list.
> Just looking at the BlueZ page, I saw that there is a new hcidump
> package so after updating I clearly saw the bitpool thing. I just
> replaced the two hardcoded bitpool min and max by the one supported
> by my headset and I got .....
>
> hum ... weird sound :-(
>
> well I can recognize my music but sometimes it's going faster, slower
> then faster again ....
>
> seems also right and left channel are not same ... well can't be sure
> about that because the sound is very weird ...
>
> I don't know what I can do else ... just let me know.
>
> did you made any other modification to the CVS ? Just got it few hours ago
> so I think except this min/max thing nothing has changed.

actually the discover shows more than one endpoint:

AVDTP(s): Discover rsp: transaction 0
ACP SEID 1 - Audio Sink
ACP SEID 3 - Audio Sink
ACP SEID 4 - Audio Source

But we only request information about the first SEID. We need to change
the code to actually request the capabilities of all endpoints so that
they at least show up in a hcidump.

You can try to hack the a2play.c to use SEID 3 instead of 1 and see what
the audio sink on SEID 3 offers you. Run the hcidump 1.15.

However the capabilities of SEID 1 shows the content protection:

AVDTP(s): Capabilities rsp: transaction 1
Media Transport
Media Codec - SBC
44.1kHz 48kHz
Mono DualChannel Stereo JointStereo
4 8 12 16 Blocks
4 8 Subbands
SNR Loudness
Bitpool Range 4-64
Content Protection
02 00

For me it is not clear if we have to set them, ignore them or what to do
with them. Do we have to insert the content protection header in the
media payload if these capability is present?

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Alain,

> actually I was just about to send a new mail to the mailing list.
> Just looking at the BlueZ page, I saw that there is a new hcidump
> package so after updating I clearly saw the bitpool thing. I just
> replaced the two hardcoded bitpool min and max by the one supported
> by my headset and I got .....

I tagged the 1.15 release of hcidump some hours ago and the tarball is
now also available. Please try again with this one and send us the
binary dump created with -w.

> hum ... weird sound :-(
>
> well I can recognize my music but sometimes it's going faster, slower
> then faster again ....
>
> seems also right and left channel are not same ... well can't be sure
> about that because the sound is very weird ...
>
> I don't know what I can do else ... just let me know.

I am interested in the output of "hcitool info" and "sdptest records"
from the BlueZ libs2 CVS. Please pipe them into a file and send them to
me.

> did you made any other modification to the CVS ? Just got it few hours ago
> so I think except this min/max thing nothing has changed.

The Sourceforge people should really get this delay thing between
anonymous and developer CVS fixed.

Regards

Marcel

by Alain Volmat

Hi Henryk,

actually I was just about to send a new mail to the mailing list.
Just looking at the BlueZ page, I saw that there is a new hcidump=20
package so after updating I clearly saw the bitpool thing. I just
replaced the two hardcoded bitpool min and max by the one supported
by my headset and I got .....

hum ... weird sound :-(

well I can recognize my music but sometimes it's going faster, slower
then faster again ....=20

seems also right and left channel are not same ... well can't be sure
about that because the sound is very weird ...=20

I don't know what I can do else ... just let me know.

did you made any other modification to the CVS ? Just got it few hours ag=
o=20
so I think except this min/max thing nothing has changed.

Alain

* Henryk Pl=F6tz [Thu, 25 Nov 2004 at 11:25 +0100]
<quote>
> Moin,
>=20
> Am Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:11:24 +0900 schrieb Alain Volmat:
>=20
> > Well, it didn't work well, it seems to fail during the
> > connection/configuration phase. Since I never heared you speaking
> > about this headset I think you might be interested in the several log
> > I took (just ask me if you want some other info).
>=20
> Oh yes, we are. Seems your headset even is the first I've seen that
> supports more than only media transport plus sbc codec: It announces a
> Content Protection capability, namely SCMS-T (whatever that may be).
>=20
> > got capabilities response
> > sent set_config
>=20
> Try again now. a2play is still very crude with regards to the
> configuration setup and it seems you found a hard coded value: Your
> headset only supports a bitpool size between 0x04 and 0x40 while the
> others can do 0x02 to 0xFA and that was what a2play was trying to
> configure. I made a trivial modification to simply mirror the values th=
> headsets sends back.=20
>=20
> --=20
> Henryk Pl=F6tz
> Gr=FC=DFe aus Berlin
> ~~~~~~~ Un-CDs, nein danke! http://www.heise.de/ct/cd-register/ ~~~~~~~
> ~ Help Microsoft fight software piracy: Give Linux to a friend today! ~

</quote>

by Henryk Plötz

Moin,

Am Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:11:24 +0900 schrieb Alain Volmat:

> Well, it didn't work well, it seems to fail during the
> connection/configuration phase. Since I never heared you speaking
> about this headset I think you might be interested in the several log
> I took (just ask me if you want some other info).

Oh yes, we are. Seems your headset even is the first I've seen that
supports more than only media transport plus sbc codec: It announces a
Content Protection capability, namely SCMS-T (whatever that may be).

> got capabilities response
> sent set_config

Try again now. a2play is still very crude with regards to the
configuration setup and it seems you found a hard coded value: Your
headset only supports a bitpool size between 0x04 and 0x40 while the
others can do 0x02 to 0xFA and that was what a2play was trying to
configure. I made a trivial modification to simply mirror the values the
headsets sends back.

--
Henryk Pl?tz
Gr??e aus Berlin
~~~~~~~ Un-CDs, nein danke! http://www.heise.de/ct/cd-register/ ~~~~~~~
~ Help Microsoft fight software piracy: Give Linux to a friend today! ~

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.08 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)
Download all attachments