2004-11-29 11:26:52

by Till Harbaum

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Port parameter negotiation?

Hi list,

does BlueZ implement rfcomm port paramater negotiation? This is required to
allow a bluetooth->rs232 converter so set the baud rate etc according to the
settings on the hosts virtual serial port. E.g. changing the baudrate on a
windows bluetooth com port changes the rs232 bit rate on the bt device as
well (ok, at least my widcomm/win98 notebook does this only for 57600 and
115200 correctly).

So using something like
stty -F /dev/rfcomm0 speed 9600

should IMHO cause a rfcomm port negotiation packet to be sent on client side.
But i don't see this happen ...

Am i doing something wrong? I am using rfcomm 1.3 on a 2.6.8 kernel.

Till

--
Dr.-Ing. Till Harbaum Tel.: +49 721 4998963
BeeCon GmbH Fax: +49 721 4998962

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Port parameter negotiation?

Hi Till,

> does BlueZ implement rfcomm port paramater negotiation? This is required to
> allow a bluetooth->rs232 converter so set the baud rate etc according to the
> settings on the hosts virtual serial port. E.g. changing the baudrate on a
> windows bluetooth com port changes the rs232 bit rate on the bt device as
> well (ok, at least my widcomm/win98 notebook does this only for 57600 and
> 115200 correctly).
>
> So using something like
> stty -F /dev/rfcomm0 speed 9600
>
> should IMHO cause a rfcomm port negotiation packet to be sent on client side.
> But i don't see this happen ...

as far as I remember we haven't fully implemented it. We only have code
to fulfill the Bluetooth qualification requirements. However the main
RFCOMM interface are sockets and there you don't have to worry about the
baud rate. Adding support for it should not be that hard. Find out what
IOCTL the command above triggers and prepare the correct negotiation
packet.

Regards

Marcel

by Till Harbaum

Hi Marcel,

On Monday 29 November 2004 12:34, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> to fulfill the Bluetooth qualification requirements. However the main
> RFCOMM interface are sockets and there you don't have to worry about the
> baud rate. Adding support for it should not be that hard. Find out what
> IOCTL the command above triggers and prepare the correct negotiation
> packet.
Ok, another job for a student in need of a linux/bluez thesis :-)

Till