2004-12-16 13:41:38

by Filipa Duarte

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Interwork of RFCOMM and L2CAP layers

Good afternoon

I am not a kernel developer but I would like to do
profiling in BlueZ code as part of my PhD research,
specifically on RFCOMM/L2CAP layers. I took the source
code from my 2.4.22 kernel.

I was expecting to see some functions on the RFCOMM
files calling functions on the L2CAP files, as RFCOMM
is a layer on top of the L2CAP layer. However I could
not find any (actually there is one: rfcomm_init calls
l2cap_load; but this last function is a dummy
function).

Could you please tell me where I could find
information on how the RFCOMM and L2CAP layers
interwork in the BlueZ implementation (I, of course,
tryed Google and BlueZ web sites but I could not find
information)?

I would be particularly grateful if someone could give
directions on how to use the BlueZ stack in a simple
user space mode.

Many thanks,

Filipa Duarte

http://my.yahoo.com

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Filipa,

> I am not a kernel developer but I would like to do
> profiling in BlueZ code as part of my PhD research,
> specifically on RFCOMM/L2CAP layers. I took the source
> code from my 2.4.22 kernel.
>
> I was expecting to see some functions on the RFCOMM
> files calling functions on the L2CAP files, as RFCOMM
> is a layer on top of the L2CAP layer. However I could
> not find any (actually there is one: rfcomm_init calls
> l2cap_load; but this last function is a dummy
> function).
>
> Could you please tell me where I could find
> information on how the RFCOMM and L2CAP layers
> interwork in the BlueZ implementation (I, of course,
> tryed Google and BlueZ web sites but I could not find
> information)?

the RFCOMM uses in-kernel socket programming to send or retrieve data
from the L2CAP layer.

> I would be particularly grateful if someone could give
> directions on how to use the BlueZ stack in a simple
> user space mode.

Check out l2test or rctest. This is all about socket programming.

Regards

Marcel