2005-04-19 05:05:46

by jose

Subject: [Bluez-devel] PC to PC file transfer

hi,

i have two PCs with linux, with bluetooth capability
on both(using BlueZ).

i want to transfer a file (any file)between them.
Could be command-line transfer or any other way.

how to go about?

rgds,
Jose.

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] PC to PC file transfer

Hi Nils,

> >>i have two PCs with linux, with bluetooth capability
> >>on both(using BlueZ).
> >>i want to transfer a file (any file)between them.
> >>Could be command-line transfer or any other way.
> > the easiest way is to create a PAN with pand between your two machines
> > and then use tools like ftp or scp.
>
> But in general I think it would be nice to have a some more ad-hoc file
> transfer tool. Would maybe OBEX be suitable for that?
>
> We have for example that situation quite often that you sit together
> with some people and their notebooks or other prtable devices but you do
> not have a common network or simply do not want that (imagine a business
> meeting). But you want to share some docs, files, etc.. Mostly small
> stuff, not whole movies ;)
> Last time I was in a meeting guess what happened: They tucked out a
> floppy disk!
>
> For those purposes something like
> bt-receive-file (waiting)
> bt-send-file <BD-ADDR> <file>
> would be nice.

there are some programs for that job, but actually I like an obextool
merged into bluez-utils that is capable of doing things like this, but I
never finally finished it. Feel free to send me patches to add such a
tool.

Regards

Marcel

by WiseLYNX

by Nils Faerber

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Jose,

> i have two PCs with linux, with bluetooth capability
> on both(using BlueZ).
>
> i want to transfer a file (any file)between them.
> Could be command-line transfer or any other way.

the easiest way is to create a PAN with pand between your two machines
and then use tools like ftp or scp.

Regards

Marcel

by Peter Robinson

> Hi,
>=20
> I want to be able to transfer a file between two Linux
> PCs.
>=20
> I have compiled blueobex(ussp-push), on both my linux
> PCs.How do I compile obexserver OR what do I do with
> obexserver?

I know gnome has a obex server (It comes as part of Fedora, not sure
what other platfoms) that can run as a applet on the taskbar. I've
played with it quickly getting objects from a phone but not another pc

Pete