2005-05-24 15:17:57

by Brad Midgley

Subject: [Bluez-devel] bluetooth remote control

Hey

I've looked at what is out there for using a phone as a remote.

Virtually everything requires a Sony/Ericsson. Are the Ericssons using
some kind of standardized protocol for remote control that no one else
has implemented or is it a proprietary thing?

If it's well-documented, the extensible phones (symbian/java) should be
able to load an app to use it (or maybe it's been done)

Brad

by Brad Midgley

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] bluetooth remote control

Guys,

I was thinking we needed a daemon that could talk to a "lot" of the
remote-control capable devices out there. There are so many protocols:

- avrcp (newer headsets)
- ericsson (AT commands)
- bemused (symbian app, java app)
- hid (newer ericssons)

I was thinking we would need avrcp eventually for good headset support.
Maybe the way to go is to add it to a receiver that can do one of these
other protocols to give it broader coverage. HID could probably be
dropped off the list of requirements as long as the older ericsson
protocol is available on those devices.

Brad

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>

>>I've looked at what is out there for using a phone as a remote.
>>
>>Virtually everything requires a Sony/Ericsson. Are the Ericssons using
>>some kind of standardized protocol for remote control that no one else
>>has implemented or is it a proprietary thing?
>>
>>If it's well-documented, the extensible phones (symbian/java) should be
>>able to load an app to use it (or maybe it's been done)
>

> starting with the K700i you can use HID for the remote. For the older
> ones you need a special AT command set. There are some implementation
> around, but non official that I included in BlueZ.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Fred Schaettgen

On Tuesday, 24. May 2005 17:17, Brad Midgley wrote:
> Hey
>
> I've looked at what is out there for using a phone as a remote.
>
> Virtually everything requires a Sony/Ericsson. Are the Ericssons using
> some kind of standardized protocol for remote control that no one else
> has implemented or is it a proprietary thing?
>
> If it's well-documented, the extensible phones (symbian/java) should be
> able to load an app to use it (or maybe it's been done)

How about http://bemused.sf.net?
It was a Series60 client and a MS Windows server in the beginning, but in the
meantime there are also servers for Linux - one is a command line tool, the
other is part of kdebluetooth. On the client side there are additional
clients for at least PalmOS and J2ME.

Fred

--
Fred Schaettgen

by ligi

Brad Midgley wrote:

> Hey
>
> I've looked at what is out there for using a phone as a remote.
>
> Virtually everything requires a Sony/Ericsson. Are the Ericssons using
> some kind of standardized protocol for remote control that no one else
> has implemented or is it a proprietary thing?
>
> If it's well-documented, the extensible phones (symbian/java) should
> be able to load an app to use it (or maybe it's been done)

have a look at the bemused(.sf.net) stuff!

> Brad

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Brad,