2005-06-27 22:37:06

by Ronny L Nilsson

Subject: [Bluez-devel] bccmd reading clock

Hi
I was in the need for an enhancement of the bccmd tool and thus made a
small change. The supplied patch adds a command for reading the the
BT-clock of local device. In the process I also made some minor changes
to utils/tools/csr.c to reuse existing code. Besided reading 16-bit
variables it can now also read 32- and 8-bits alike.

No changes has (yet) been made to hcidump. Should it be done?

Regards
/Ronny Nilsson

Attachments:
bccmd-clock.patch (3.83 kB)

2005-06-29 08:26:02

by Ronny L Nilsson

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] bccmd reading clock

> > I was in the need for an enhancement of the bccmd tool and thus
> > made a small change. The supplied patch adds a command for reading
> > the the BT-clock of local device. In the process I also made some
> > minor changes to utils/tools/csr.c to reuse existing code. Besided
> > reading 16-bit variables it can now also read 32- and 8-bits alike.
>
> don't do type conversion like this. Use varid_complex for it if you
> wanna support uint32 and unit8 without copying code.

As you command.... :) Perhaps like this then? Added parsing read of
uart speed setting too. I'm a bit uncertain however of where to put
corresponding uart config write. Both BCCMD and PSKEY seems adequate.

/Ronny

Attachments:
bccmd.patch (6.79 kB)

2005-06-28 15:42:44

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Ronny,

> I was in the need for an enhancement of the bccmd tool and thus made a
> small change. The supplied patch adds a command for reading the the
> BT-clock of local device. In the process I also made some minor changes
> to utils/tools/csr.c to reuse existing code. Besided reading 16-bit
> variables it can now also read 32- and 8-bits alike.

don't do type conversion like this. Use varid_complex for it if you
wanna support uint32 and unit8 without copying code.

> No changes has (yet) been made to hcidump. Should it be done?

Of course ;)

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Ronny,

> > actually I added the clock reading support by copying the uint32
> > reading command. Using the complex command needs a little bit more
> > testing and of course audit. The CSR BCCMD can be quite picky if you
> > do something wrong. I also added support for uint32 and BT_CLOCK to
> > hcidump.
>
> Ok. Nice, but how can we "test" the complex command if we don't use it?
> I agree we need to be careful yes, but BCCMD works in ram only, right?
> If something goes wrong one can just do a cold reset to restore
> settings.

it is not about the settings. The bccmd tool must be usable all the time
without crashing the device at runtime. Feel free to send new patches
against the current CVS. I will see if I get some time to review and of
course test them.

> > The UART config is used via BCCMD for temporary changes and via the
> > PSKEY for permanent changes. I didn't added it, because I don't like
> > mixing patches. One patch per feature.
>
> I understand. Besides the UART feature I've also added preliminary
> support for these additional commands:
> - Read RSSI
> - Read/write BER threshold
> - Read/write max tx power
> - Read/write default tx power
> And also made a find_conn_handle() function to automatically get the
> ACL connection handle and pass it on to all the BCCMDs who needs it
> (most of them, including your "keylen" function). User can then use the
> commands simply with a <bdaddr> on the commandline instead of the
> harder to find handle. Should I send you patches for these too? Perhaps
> separated in smal chunks?

Send small chunks and step by step. It is then easier for me to review
them and apply them. This is also better for the revision history.

Regards

Marcel

by Ronny L Nilsson

> actually I added the clock reading support by copying the uint32
> reading command. Using the complex command needs a little bit more
> testing and of course audit. The CSR BCCMD can be quite picky if you
> do something wrong. I also added support for uint32 and BT_CLOCK to
> hcidump.

Hi
Ok. Nice, but how can we "test" the complex command if we don't use it?
I agree we need to be careful yes, but BCCMD works in ram only, right?
If something goes wrong one can just do a cold reset to restore
settings.

> The UART config is used via BCCMD for temporary changes and via the
> PSKEY for permanent changes. I didn't added it, because I don't like
> mixing patches. One patch per feature.

I understand. Besides the UART feature I've also added preliminary
support for these additional commands:
- Read RSSI
- Read/write BER threshold
- Read/write max tx power
- Read/write default tx power
And also made a find_conn_handle() function to automatically get the
ACL connection handle and pass it on to all the BCCMDs who needs it
(most of them, including your "keylen" function). User can then use the
commands simply with a <bdaddr> on the commandline instead of the
harder to find handle. Should I send you patches for these too? Perhaps
separated in smal chunks?

Regards
/Ronny

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Ronny,

> > > I was in the need for an enhancement of the bccmd tool and thus
> > > made a small change. The supplied patch adds a command for reading
> > > the the BT-clock of local device. In the process I also made some
> > > minor changes to utils/tools/csr.c to reuse existing code. Besided
> > > reading 16-bit variables it can now also read 32- and 8-bits alike.
> >
> > don't do type conversion like this. Use varid_complex for it if you
> > wanna support uint32 and unit8 without copying code.
>
> As you command.... :) Perhaps like this then? Added parsing read of
> uart speed setting too. I'm a bit uncertain however of where to put
> corresponding uart config write. Both BCCMD and PSKEY seems adequate.

actually I added the clock reading support by copying the uint32 reading
command. Using the complex command needs a little bit more testing and
of course audit. The CSR BCCMD can be quite picky if you do something
wrong. I also added support for uint32 and BT_CLOCK to hcidump.

The UART config is used via BCCMD for temporary changes and via the
PSKEY for permanent changes. I didn't added it, because I don't like
mixing patches. One patch per feature.

Regards

Marcel

by Ronny L Nilsson

hi
I got no response to my revised bccmd patch
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=12199652
Accepted, rejected och just delayed review?

regards
/Ronny