2005-07-15 19:38:07

by Michael 'Mickey' Lauer

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Bluez without libbluez?

Hi,

Is there anyone who wrote a library or application using the Bluez
kernel layer without linking to libbluez out there? I have been starting
to write a C++ wrapper as part of a library that's supposed to be
licensed under LGPL which means I can't look nor link nor even take part
of the code of libbluez (which is GPL).

However, I didn't find any documentation that does teaches how to do
that.

As a side note, I'm wondering how libkdebluetooth and Gnome's libbtctl
can claim that they're LGPL while linking to libbluez.

Maybe I'm confused :)

Thanks for reading,

Mickey.

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Bluez without libbluez?

Hi Mickey,

> Is there anyone who wrote a library or application using the Bluez
> kernel layer without linking to libbluez out there? I have been starting
> to write a C++ wrapper as part of a library that's supposed to be
> licensed under LGPL which means I can't look nor link nor even take part
> of the code of libbluez (which is GPL).
>
> However, I didn't find any documentation that does teaches how to do
> that.

and how do you think it is possible to write a library that uses a
kernel interface that is under GPL. We have the bdaddr_t and some other
socket structs that you need to copy. However ask a lawyer about these
legal things.

And btw the Bluetooth library will be re-released under LGPL if I get an
approval from Qualcomm.

Regards

Marcel

by Fred Schaettgen

On Friday, 15. July 2005 21:38, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
=2E..
> As a side note, I'm wondering how libkdebluetooth and Gnome's libbtctl
> can claim that they're LGPL while linking to libbluez.

libkbluetooth is GPLed or did I miss something?
libqobex on the other hand is in fact LGPLed. But libqobex alone as source=
=20
does not derive from or use the BlueZ libs. It does once you compile it,=20
which means that the resulting programs must be GPLed. Which they are. And=
=20
besides that I won=C2=B4t care about such details unless as german court co=
mmented=20
on these linking issues. The outcome will be like throwing a dice anyway.

=46red

=2D-=20
=46red Schaettgen