2005-09-26 07:47:57

by Esther López Casariego

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Control of radiated power

Hello you all!!

Just a fast question. Is there any software way (using BlueZ) for
controlling the radiated power and setting it to a desired value? I have
been investigating and having found anything

Thanks and Regards

Esther

2005-09-29 08:11:48

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Control of radiated power

Hi Ronny,

> > My device is a Brainboxes PCMCIA card with BlueCore02 chipset. I have
> > asked them, and they are on it...
>
> Yes it's possible to do transmitter power control with this chipset. I
> have an alfa-patch for the bccmd utility which can do this. I haven't
> tried it with PCMCIA though, but via USB and UART it seems to work
> fine. My biggest problem now seem to be finding spare time to clean the
> patch up according to Marcels quite high demand on codingstyle... :)

a patch for bccmd is really easy, because it is modular. Send it anyhow.

Regards

Marcel

by Esther López Casariego

Hello Ronny

Can you please give me more details on how to do this?
What I need is to reduce the radiated power of the card, and leave it to a
fixed value.
Also, how can I disable the automatic power control at LMP? I have read the
specification and haven't found the command to do this.

Thanks and regards

Esther

> My device is a Brainboxes PCMCIA card with BlueCore02 chipset. I have
> asked them, and they are on it...

Hi
Yes it's possible to do transmitter power control with this chipset. I
have an alfa-patch for the bccmd utility which can do this. I haven't
tried it with PCMCIA though, but via USB and UART it seems to work
fine. My biggest problem now seem to be finding spare time to clean the
patch up according to Marcels quite high demand on codingstyle... :)

> In the meanwhile... The LMP protocol is in charge of automatically
> controlling the power level (isn't it?). Is is possible to deactivate
> this power level control, leaving the radiated power at a fixed

Yes, this is possible too.

/Ronny

by Ronny L Nilsson

> My device is a Brainboxes PCMCIA card with BlueCore02 chipset. I have
> asked them, and they are on it...

Hi
Yes it's possible to do transmitter power control with this chipset. I
have an alfa-patch for the bccmd utility which can do this. I haven't
tried it with PCMCIA though, but via USB and UART it seems to work
fine. My biggest problem now seem to be finding spare time to clean the
patch up according to Marcels quite high demand on codingstyle... :)

> In the meanwhile... The LMP protocol is in charge of automatically
> controlling the power level (isn't it?). Is is possible to deactivate
> this power level control, leaving the radiated power at a fixed

Yes, this is possible too.

/Ronny

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Esther,

> My device is a Brainboxes PCMCIA card with BlueCore02 chipset. I have asked
> them, and they are on it...
>
> In the meanwhile... The LMP protocol is in charge of automatically
> controlling the power level (isn't it?). Is is possible to deactivate this
> power level control, leaving the radiated power at a fixed value?

I don't think so, but I am not an expert for the LMP or Baseband.

Regards

Marcel

by Esther López Casariego

Thanks Marcel

My device is a Brainboxes PCMCIA card with BlueCore02 chipset. I have asked
them, and they are on it...

In the meanwhile... The LMP protocol is in charge of automatically
controlling the power level (isn't it?). Is is possible to deactivate this
power level control, leaving the radiated power at a fixed value?

Regards

Esther

> Just a fast question. Is there any software way (using BlueZ) for
> controlling the radiated power and setting it to a desired value? I
> have been investigating and having found anything

not according to the Bluetooth HCI specification. You need to find a
vendor specific command for that. Ask you chip or dongle manufacturer.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Esther,

> Just a fast question=E2=80=A6 Is there any software way (using BlueZ) f=
or
> controlling the radiated power and setting it to a desired value? I
> have been investigating and having found anything

not according to the Bluetooth HCI specification. You need to find a
vendor specific command for that. Ask you chip or dongle manufacturer.

Regards

Marcel

by Esther López Casariego

Hi Ronny

Thanks for this information. Can you give me more details on it?

Regards

Esther

> My device is a Brainboxes PCMCIA card with BlueCore02 chipset. I have
> asked them, and they are on it...

Hi