2005-10-30 16:43:29

by Rene Mayrhofer

Subject: [Bluez-devel] snd-bt-sco module prevents ACPI S3

Hi all,

[Please CC me in replies, I am not subscribed to this list.]

I am a happy user of the alsa bluetooth driver, i.e. snd-bt-sco and btsco.
There are just two things that seem to be broken in snd-bt-sco (CVS version
as of a month ago):

1. It's name in the lsmod list is different from the module name, i.e.
modprobe and rmmod must be used with different names.
2. It breaks ACPI S3 (suspend to RAM), making it pretty much unusable on
laptops where S3 is used (like mine). Unloading snd-bt-sco does not work (I
do that with a few other modules); as soon as it has been loaded once (even
if it has not been used and/or has been unloaded), the kernel (2.6.14-rc5) is
unable to enter ACPI S3.

with best regards,
Rene

Attachments:
(No filename) (729.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Rene Mayrhofer

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] snd-bt-sco module prevents ACPI S3

Am Sunday 30 October 2005 23:30 schrieben Sie:
> > 1. It's name in the lsmod list is different from the module name, i.e.
> > modprobe and rmmod must be used with different names.
>
> Do you want to submit a patch (or at least tell us what the different
> names are?)
Checking again, the module file is called snd-bt-sco.ko, but in lsmod it
appears as snd_bt_sco. I could probably find the problem in the code and
submit a patch, unless anybody here knows already what needs to be changed.

> > 2. It breaks ACPI S3 (suspend to RAM), making it pretty much unusable on
> > laptops where S3 is used (like mine). Unloading snd-bt-sco does not work
> > (I do that with a few other modules); as soon as it has been loaded once
> > (even if it has not been used and/or has been unloaded), the kernel
> > (2.6.14-rc5) is unable to enter ACPI S3.
>
> This may be the result of something we did but it's much more likely to
> be a change in the kernel.
It did not work with previous kernels either. Can anybody confirm that
snd-bt-sco and S3 work together?

> What exactly happens when you try & fail to go to S3?
It goes through all the steps until "Stopping all tasks" and then - instead of
turning off - just continues as if the wakeup signal had been received
immediately. The real wakeup signal (in my case, releasing the lid button)
tries to suspend again, and fails again, i.e. the system immediately comes up
again without switching off.

If you need more test data, I'll be able to test it on roughly a daily basis
(although this means that I need to reboot that machine for every test, which
I hardly ever do - therefore my need for a working S3).

regards,
Rene

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.63 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Lenz Grimmer

Hi,

some input from me, as I noticed the same issues.

Brad Midgley wrote:

> > 1. It's name in the lsmod list is different from the module name, i.e.
> > modprobe and rmmod must be used with different names.
>
> Do you want to submit a patch (or at least tell us what the different
> names are?)

The module file is named "snd-bt-sco.ko", while "lsmod" displays it as
"snd_bt_sco". Not a biggie, but weird.

> > 2. It breaks ACPI S3 (suspend to RAM), making it pretty much unusable on
> > laptops where S3 is used (like mine). Unloading snd-bt-sco does not work (I
> > do that with a few other modules); as soon as it has been loaded once (even
> > if it has not been used and/or has been unloaded), the kernel (2.6.14-rc5) is
> > unable to enter ACPI S3.
>
> This may be the result of something we did but it's much more likely to
> be a change in the kernel.
>
> What exactly happens when you try & fail to go to S3?

I can confirm this here (SUSE Linux 10.0, Kernel 2.6.13) - suspending
begins, but aborts at some point:

PM: Preparing system for suspend
Stopping tasks:
==================================================================================================================================
stopping tasks failed (1 tasks remaining)
Restarting tasks...<6> Strange, snd-bt-scod not stopped
done

It has been reported as BUG#1218671 in the bug tracker on SourceForge
some time ago:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1218671&group_id=116589&atid=678258

This report even contains a patch, but it does not seem to match/apply
anymore.

There is a second bug report, even though the subject line is misleading:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1170421&group_id=116589&atid=678258

Does anybody actually check the bug reports that are filed at Bug
Tracking system at http://sourceforge.net/projects/bluetooth-alsa/ :
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=678258&group_id=116589&func=browse

There are about 27 open bugs.

Bye,
LenZ
- --
Lenz Grimmer <[email protected]> -o)
[ICQ: 160767607 | Jabber: [email protected]] /\\
http://www.lenzg.org/ V_V

by Brad Midgley

Rene

> 1. It's name in the lsmod list is different from the module name, i.e.
> modprobe and rmmod must be used with different names.

Do you want to submit a patch (or at least tell us what the different
names are?)

> 2. It breaks ACPI S3 (suspend to RAM), making it pretty much unusable on
> laptops where S3 is used (like mine). Unloading snd-bt-sco does not work (I
> do that with a few other modules); as soon as it has been loaded once (even
> if it has not been used and/or has been unloaded), the kernel (2.6.14-rc5) is
> unable to enter ACPI S3.

This may be the result of something we did but it's much more likely to
be a change in the kernel.

What exactly happens when you try & fail to go to S3?

Brad