2005-12-15 15:24:35

by Brad Midgley

Subject: [Bluez-devel] a2dp on maemo/nokia770

Hey

Any nokia developers hanging out here?

I would like to get A2DP audio working with the 770. The codec would
perform faster/better if it was a proper dsp task but that's beyond the
scope of a volunteer effort.

Is nokia working on it?

Brad

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] a2dp on maemo/nokia770

Hi Ville,

> > since I've already seen Nokia phones with A2DP Source capabilities, the
> > question is now is this a bought solution or is developed inside Nokia.
> > If it is developed inside Nokia you might wanna share it or help us out
> > to get our SBC in shape and really good and fast.
>
> I wouldn't hold my breath to see that happening. Whan is the situation
> with current SBC? What is missing? Is performance optimal? I have
> followed discussions about it and there seems to be fixed point
> implementaion allready but that has poor quality compared to floating
> point version.

this is what I know. Bard of course would have more details since I
haven't done any SBC related work for some time. I am not a codec expert
and so not really helpful, but I still think that fixed point is the
only way to go. Some people at the UPFs acknowledge this, but of course
without any details about actual code.

> > The Nokia 770 is using a TI chip and basically nobody of us has real
> > experiences with these chips. I have seen them in an iPAQ and now the
> > 770, but that's it. Do you think Nokia is willing to donate some of the
> > TI development kits to BlueZ? Especially the SCO and eSCO stuff needs a
> > lot of testing and I would prefer to do it with an i386 or x86_86 based
> > system.
>
> I'll try to arrange something.

This would be great, thanks.

Regards

Marcel

by Ville Tervo

--
Ville

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Ville,

> > I would like to get A2DP audio working with the 770. The codec would
> > perform faster/better if it was a proper dsp task but that's beyond the
> > scope of a volunteer effort.
> >
> > Is nokia working on it?
>
> Currently we are working on basic hs support. A2DP is not yet under
> focus. However dsp-style approach is one of the possibilities.
>
> Feel free to send any wishes, suggestion and ideas regarding bt audio
> support. We'll keep them in mind when we do decisions and plans.

since I've already seen Nokia phones with A2DP Source capabilities, the
question is now is this a bought solution or is developed inside Nokia.
If it is developed inside Nokia you might wanna share it or help us out
to get our SBC in shape and really good and fast.

The Nokia 770 is using a TI chip and basically nobody of us has real
experiences with these chips. I have seen them in an iPAQ and now the
770, but that's it. Do you think Nokia is willing to donate some of the
TI development kits to BlueZ? Especially the SCO and eSCO stuff needs a
lot of testing and I would prefer to do it with an i386 or x86_86 based
system.

Regards

Marcel

by Ville Tervo

Hi Brad,

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 08:24:35AM -0700, ext Brad Midgley wrote:
> Hey
>
> Any nokia developers hanging out here?

Yep.

> I would like to get A2DP audio working with the 770. The codec would
> perform faster/better if it was a proper dsp task but that's beyond the
> scope of a volunteer effort.
>
> Is nokia working on it?

Currently we are working on basic hs support. A2DP is not yet under
focus. However dsp-style approach is one of the possibilities.

Feel free to send any wishes, suggestion and ideas regarding bt audio
support. We'll keep them in mind when we do decisions and plans.

--
Ville

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Peter,

> Its intersting to note thought that on their OS
> Website (here http://opensource.nokia.com/) they mention they are
> going to be releasing Affix (a bt protocol stack for linux)shortly.

the Affix stack (affix.sf.net) has been around since November 2001.

Regards

Marcel

by Peter Robinson

On 12/15/05, Brad Midgley <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hey
>
> Any nokia developers hanging out here?
>
> I would like to get A2DP audio working with the 770. The codec would
> perform faster/better if it was a proper dsp task but that's beyond the
> scope of a volunteer effort.
>
> Is nokia working on it?

Probably at a guess they are in preparation for the Internet Table
2006 release so BT Headsets can be supported. They have been doing a
fair amount of other work around some of the core infrastructure of BT
for things like integration with dbus so they may not be at the
BT-Audio stage yet. Its intersting to note thought that on their OS
Website (here http://opensource.nokia.com/) they mention they are
going to be releasing Affix (a bt protocol stack for linux)shortly.

Peter