2006-03-11 18:06:06

by Radek

Subject: [Bluez-devel] New PIN helper, how to include with BlueZ?

Hello,
a new PIN helper has been born, and I think it's time to include it in
the BlueZ packages (including source packages) either as a default
helper, or as an option. The problem is neither me, nor the author have
a good sense of how such things happen for BlueZ.

For those who haven't fallowed our discussion I will gave a short
summary of the situation:

Dave Mielke has been working for some time on a new PIN helper for
BlueZ, one that deals in a more complex, and in my opinion complete way,
with the problem.

The basic approach is to have a list of pins and device addresses in a
file, form which the helper will extract the correct PIN. If the device
is not on the list a prompt is started on a new terminal, that asks for
PIN (giving all the standard information). In case the terminal prompt
is not welcomed, a secondary helper can be called (for instance the
python script already shipped with BlueZ, or other for KDE/GPE/OPIE or
any other). The prompt can be fully disabled. The script can be
configured either with a config file, or by command line parameters.

As can be seen above this gives more choices on chow to handle new
devices (list, prompt, secondary helper).

--=20
Rados=B3aw Rurarz
Warsaw Poland
GG: 7249330

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Radek,

> > > Hmm.. I see that BlueZ is even less documented then I thought.
> > > What is the syntax of the file?

no. This feature is undocumented on purpose.

> > > PS. I'm using the current stable version, and
> > > the /etc/bluetooth/pin is still there.. so I suppose it's still
> > > rather for the future. (but rather not far future).
> >
> > the /etc/bluetooth/pin support is removed from the current CVS. And I
> > even removed the PIN helper script support completely. So it is the
> > near future with the next blue-utils release which has been targeted
> > for in two weeks.
> >
> > The syntax of the pincodes file is easy. It is a BD_ADDR and PIN code
> > pair per line. Like the names file etc.
>
> Ok, done... but.. no connection, just timeouts as a result.
> Is this file used for incoming, or uotgoing connections?

It is only used for outgoing connection, but that can be changed of
course.

> And is it dependent on the pinhelper setings form hcid.conf file?
> (pinhelper, I hope not, and security settings)

Not that I am aware of. However pairing must be enabled.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Radek,

> > the /etc/bluetooth/pin support is removed from the current CVS. And I
> > even removed the PIN helper script support completely. So it is the
> > near future with the next blue-utils release which has been targeted
> > for in two weeks.
> >
> > The syntax of the pincodes file is easy. It is a BD_ADDR and PIN code
> > pair per line. Like the names file etc.
>
> Thank you.
> Will this stay for the next releses, or is it only a temporary solution?

for now it will stay. However you can emulate the same behavior with a
D-Bus passkey agent and so it might be removed at some point, but not in
the near future.

> > > Great, and what about those systems where d-bus is not present?
> > > I hope the D-Bus will still be complemented by some list of devices
> > > and pins.
> >
> > And what kind of system should that be? All desktop systems are using
> > D-Bus and even the Nokia 770 and the new platform from PalmSource are
> > supporting it by default. So no reason to use something different than
> > D-Bus for PIN handling.
>
> Well, I'm not using D-Bus on WIndow Maker, Opie has no D-bus support
> (for now). But I don't mean interactive systems. Rather those which
> either have no X, or have no direct input methods at all (home server
> sollusions, no screen, no keyboard).
> I'm using an old PC as an BT gateway for couple of PDAs.

The D-Bus has nothing to do with any special window manager or desktop
system. It is a bus system to exchange messages between programs.

Regards

Marcel

by Radek

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:32:40 +0100
Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Radek,
>=20
> > > The /var/lib/bluetooth/<bdaddr>/pincodes file is supported for
> > > outgoing connection for quite some time. The
> > > default /etc/bluetooth/pin has been already removed and the
> > > complete PIN helper script support will be remove really soon,
> > > too.
> >=20
> > Hmm.. I see that BlueZ is even less documented then I thought.
> > What is the syntax of the file?
> > PS. I'm using the current stable version, and
> > the /etc/bluetooth/pin is still there.. so I suppose it's still
> > rather for the future. (but rather not far future).
>=20
> the /etc/bluetooth/pin support is removed from the current CVS. And I
> even removed the PIN helper script support completely. So it is the
> near future with the next blue-utils release which has been targeted
> for in two weeks.
>=20
> The syntax of the pincodes file is easy. It is a BD_ADDR and PIN code
> pair per line. Like the names file etc.

Ok, done... but.. no connection, just timeouts as a result.
Is this file used for incoming, or uotgoing connections?
And is it dependent on the pinhelper setings form hcid.conf file?
(pinhelper, I hope not, and security settings)

My regards.

--=20
Rados=B3aw Rurarz
Warsaw Poland
GG: 7249330

by Radek

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:32:40 +0100
Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:

> the /etc/bluetooth/pin support is removed from the current CVS. And I
> even removed the PIN helper script support completely. So it is the
> near future with the next blue-utils release which has been targeted
> for in two weeks.
>=20
> The syntax of the pincodes file is easy. It is a BD_ADDR and PIN code
> pair per line. Like the names file etc.

Thank you.
Will this stay for the next releses, or is it only a temporary solution?
=20
> > Great, and what about those systems where d-bus is not present?
> > I hope the D-Bus will still be complemented by some list of devices
> > and pins.
>=20
> And what kind of system should that be? All desktop systems are using
> D-Bus and even the Nokia 770 and the new platform from PalmSource are
> supporting it by default. So no reason to use something different than
> D-Bus for PIN handling.

Well, I'm not using D-Bus on WIndow Maker, Opie has no D-bus support
(for now). But I don't mean interactive systems. Rather those which
either have no X, or have no direct input methods at all (home server
sollusions, no screen, no keyboard).
I'm using an old PC as an BT gateway for couple of PDAs.

The truth is that, both for WM and my small gateway, I only need the
device-pin list and a way to disable any kind of prompt for PIN
for unknown devices.
If the support for the pincodes file is a permanent sollusion (one that
will remain in the next relese) then the D-Bus approach is as good for
me, as any other one.

My regards.

--=20
Rados=B3aw Rurarz
Warsaw Poland
GG: 7249330

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Radek,

> > The /var/lib/bluetooth/<bdaddr>/pincodes file is supported for
> > outgoing connection for quite some time. The
> > default /etc/bluetooth/pin has been already removed and the complete
> > PIN helper script support will be remove really soon, too.
>
> Hmm.. I see that BlueZ is even less documented then I thought.
> What is the syntax of the file?
> PS. I'm using the current stable version, and the /etc/bluetooth/pin is
> still there.. so I suppose it's still rather for the future. (but
> rather not far future).

the /etc/bluetooth/pin support is removed from the current CVS. And I
even removed the PIN helper script support completely. So it is the near
future with the next blue-utils release which has been targeted for in
two weeks.

The syntax of the pincodes file is easy. It is a BD_ADDR and PIN code
pair per line. Like the names file etc.

> > The new
> > way for the having a flexible way of PIN handling will be over D-Bus.
> > At some not so far point in the future the bluez-utils package will
> > depend on D-Bus anyway.
>
> Great, and what about those systems where d-bus is not present?
> I hope the D-Bus will still be complemented by some list of devices and
> pins.

And what kind of system should that be? All desktop systems are using
D-Bus and even the Nokia 770 and the new platform from PalmSource are
supporting it by default. So no reason to use something different than
D-Bus for PIN handling.

Regards

Marcel

by Radek

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 18:50:09 +0100
Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:

> The /var/lib/bluetooth/<bdaddr>/pincodes file is supported for
> outgoing connection for quite some time. The
> default /etc/bluetooth/pin has been already removed and the complete
> PIN helper script support will be remove really soon, too.

Hmm.. I see that BlueZ is even less documented then I thought.
What is the syntax of the file?
PS. I'm using the current stable version, and the /etc/bluetooth/pin is
still there.. so I suppose it's still rather for the future. (but
rather not far future).

> The new
> way for the having a flexible way of PIN handling will be over D-Bus.
> At some not so far point in the future the bluez-utils package will
> depend on D-Bus anyway.

Great, and what about those systems where d-bus is not present?
I hope the D-Bus will still be complemented by some list of devices and
pins.

My regards.

--=20
Rados=B3aw Rurarz
Warsaw Poland
GG: 7249330

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Radek,

> a new PIN helper has been born, and I think it's time to include it in
> the BlueZ packages (including source packages) either as a default
> helper, or as an option. The problem is neither me, nor the author have
> a good sense of how such things happen for BlueZ.

you post a patch to mailing list and it will be discussed and if it is a
sane approach it will be included. As simple as that.

> For those who haven't fallowed our discussion I will gave a short
> summary of the situation:
>
> Dave Mielke has been working for some time on a new PIN helper for
> BlueZ, one that deals in a more complex, and in my opinion complete way,
> with the problem.
>
> The basic approach is to have a list of pins and device addresses in a
> file, form which the helper will extract the correct PIN. If the device
> is not on the list a prompt is started on a new terminal, that asks for
> PIN (giving all the standard information). In case the terminal prompt
> is not welcomed, a secondary helper can be called (for instance the
> python script already shipped with BlueZ, or other for KDE/GPE/OPIE or
> any other). The prompt can be fully disabled. The script can be
> configured either with a config file, or by command line parameters.

The /var/lib/bluetooth/<bdaddr>/pincodes file is supported for outgoing
connection for quite some time. The default /etc/bluetooth/pin has been
already removed and the complete PIN helper script support will be
remove really soon, too. The new way for the having a flexible way of