2006-10-20 11:32:06

by P. Durante

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] SDP over XML

Hi Marcel,

> you only need D-Bus for hcid and not sdptool.

I didn't read denis' patches, but I was thinking the plan was to make
sdptool use the new sdp D-Bus api (when it's settled down), this way
you could avoid the code duplication which is now going on between
hcid and sdptool

> And D-Bus has support for two different XML parsers.

you have a point, I was remembering libxml2 support was broken but
can't find anything to substantiate that tought right now

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Peter,

> > Perhaps you're thinking of OS X? All service records are stored in
> > XML until they're actually advertised.
> >
> > http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeviceDrivers/Conceptual/Bluetooth/BT_Develop_BT_Apps/chapter_4_section_4.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000997-CH216-BACJGDDH
> >
> > I'm not sure if that link will show properly. If not, then google for
> > "OS X Bluetooth Collection Tasks"
>
> No, I think it was the Axus stack. But I don't have a copy anymore to
> crosscheck.

it was the Axis OpenBT stack, but I never fully liked their DTD and it
only worked with static files from the filesystem.

Regards

Marcel

by Peter Wippich

Hi Albert,

> Perhaps you're thinking of OS X? All service records are stored in
> XML until they're actually advertised.
>
> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeviceDrivers/Conceptual/Bluetooth/BT_Develop_BT_Apps/chapter_4_section_4.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000997-CH216-BACJGDDH
>
> I'm not sure if that link will show properly. If not, then google for
> "OS X Bluetooth Collection Tasks"
>
> -albert

No, I think it was the Axus stack. But I don't have a copy anymore to
crosscheck.

Ciao,

Peter

| Peter Wippich Voice: +49 30 46776411 |
| G&W Instruments GmbH fax: +49 30 46776419 |
| Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25, Geb. 12 Email: [email protected] |
| D-13355 Berlin / Germany |

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Paolo,

> > The record add function of sdptool is actually more a development thing,
> > than something you should use in real applications. However I am against
> > adding a dependency on a XML parsing library to sdptool.
> >
> libdbus already pulls the expat xml parser as a dependency, so since
> you've made D-Bus a mandatory requirement using libexpat wouldn't
> require end users to install any additional packages

you only need D-Bus for hcid and not sdptool. And D-Bus has support for
two different XML parsers.

Regards

Marcel

by P. Durante

> The record add function of sdptool is actually more a development thing,
> than something you should use in real applications. However I am against
> adding a dependency on a XML parsing library to sdptool.

libdbus already pulls the expat xml parser as a dependency, so since
you've made D-Bus a mandatory requirement using libexpat wouldn't
require end users to install any additional packages

Regards,
Paolo

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Denis,

> > any SDP record registration will have to go over D-Bus in the future and
> > it will come along with the service registration feature. However none
> > of this has been set into to stone yet.
>
> I'd be very interested in learning what has been proposed so far for doing
> this. We'd be very much interested in a flexible architecture, allowing us
> to specify dynamic records. E.g. things like Handsfree profile requires SDP
> records with supported features attributes. This is something that we just
> cannot do currently with the existing infrastructure.

at the moment these are only ideas and quite frankly most of them
spinning somewhere in my head only. I hope that in the next few couple
of weeks, we get them down to a written API and can start implementing
prototypes for it.

> > The RegisterService... part is under discussion at the moment and I have
> > no idea how the final outcome will look like. I am okay with having an
> > additional method that returns the SDP service record in XML format, but
> > first you would have to define the DTD for it and we have to agree on
> > it.
>
> I shall work on forming a DTD. It most likely will closely follow the BlueZ
> type structure. Should I work on the patch for registering/unregistering XML
> SDP records against hcid as well?

If you wanna go that way, then we first need a DTD and don't follow the
BlueZ source code. You should follow the Bluetooth specification. The
SDP implementation of BlueZ is not one of the best examples and might be
replaced at some point anyway.

> > > Additionally, a lot of the code that is currently in sdptool.c could be
> > > refactored into XML files, and it would be much more trivial to add new
> > > profiles (e.g. as an XML template instead of a function inside sdptool)
> >
> > The record add function of sdptool is actually more a development thing,
> > than something you should use in real applications. However I am against
> > adding a dependency on a XML parsing library to sdptool.
>
> I completely agree. However, up to this point sdptool has been the only way
> to develop "real applications." Using sdp library directly is not an option
> for us.

Nobody should have to use it directly. It is actually a mess and the
potential of memory leaks are way to big. However we first need a clean
D-Bus API before I start thinking about replacing or rewriting it.

Regards

Marcel

by Denis Kenzior

Marcel,

On Thursday 19 October 2006 19:12, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> any SDP record registration will have to go over D-Bus in the future and
> it will come along with the service registration feature. However none
> of this has been set into to stone yet.

I'd be very interested in learning what has been proposed so far for doing
this. We'd be very much interested in a flexible architecture, allowing us
to specify dynamic records. E.g. things like Handsfree profile requires SDP
records with supported features attributes. This is something that we just
cannot do currently with the existing infrastructure.

> The RegisterService... part is under discussion at the moment and I have
> no idea how the final outcome will look like. I am okay with having an
> additional method that returns the SDP service record in XML format, but
> first you would have to define the DTD for it and we have to agree on
> it.

I shall work on forming a DTD. It most likely will closely follow the BlueZ
type structure. Should I work on the patch for registering/unregistering XML
SDP records against hcid as well?

> > Additionally, a lot of the code that is currently in sdptool.c could be
> > refactored into XML files, and it would be much more trivial to add new
> > profiles (e.g. as an XML template instead of a function inside sdptool)
>
> The record add function of sdptool is actually more a development thing,
> than something you should use in real applications. However I am against
> adding a dependency on a XML parsing library to sdptool.

I completely agree. However, up to this point sdptool has been the only way
to develop "real applications." Using sdp library directly is not an option
for us.

> Regards
>
> Marcel

-Denis

by Albert Huang

Hi Peter,

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Denis KENZIOR wrote:

> I've been playing around with the idea of encapsulating SDP information over
> XML. The primary aim was to enable things like sdptool or hcid to be able to
> exchange SDP records in an open format. It would also enable for
> applications to register arbitrary SDP records without relying on the sdp
> library (it is GPLed and thus not useable to some people)
>
> I wrote some code for producing and parsing XML SDP records. The aim would be
> to replace the current hcid GetRemoteServiceRecord method with something that
> produces XML, and also to have something like a RegisterServiceRecord that
> would take either a string description (e.g. OPUSH) and
> RegisterServiceRecordXML that would take an XML string.
>
> Additionally, a lot of the code that is currently in sdptool.c could be
> refactored into XML files, and it would be much more trivial to add new
> profiles (e.g. as an XML template instead of a function inside sdptool)
>
> Before I continue, I'd like to get some feedback on the direction I should
> take. What would be most useful to BlueZ? Would there be any interest in a
> patch against hcid that does this?

In my opinion anything which replaces the current SDP record handling
would be great. I've tried to count the mallocs and frees done just for
registering a single service record,..... gave up somewhere in the middle.

I remember there was an implementation which uses XML in the past,
but I think this was not for Bluez. May be XML is a little bit of an
overkill, but on the other hand it is a well established and flexible data
format.

Short answer: yes.

Ciao,

Peter