2006-11-07 19:36:33

by R.M.M

Subject: [Bluez-devel] can't add bnep0 to bridge pan0: Invalid argument

Hallo,

First of all I'm not completely sure if this is the right group to post
to but since I get no error messages in logs, I hope nobody will feel
offended.

I'm trying to create an NAP under kernel 2.6.18.2 (description from
http://bluez.sourceforge.net/contrib/HOWTO-PAN). I use an USB BT dongle
from Integrated System Solution Corp. and it's been recognised as follows:

~# hciconfig -a
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 11:11:11:11:11:11 ACL MTU: 678:8 SCO MTU: 48:10
UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN AUTH ENCRYPT
RX bytes:101 acl:0 sco:0 events:13 errors:0
TX bytes:299 acl:0 sco:0 commands:13 errors:0
Features: 0xbf 0xfe 0x8d 0x78 0x08 0x18 0x00 0x00
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
Link mode: ACCEPT MASTER
Name: 'tempac'
Class: 0x020100
Service Classes: Networking
Device Class: Computer, Uncategorized
HCI Ver: 1.2 (0x2) HCI Rev: 0x1fe LMP Ver: 1.2 (0x2) LMP Subver:
0x1fe
Manufacturer: Integrated System Solution Corp. (57)

The problem turn up when I try (after establishing connection) to add
bnep0 interface to pan0 bridge interface. After

~# brctl addif pan0 bnep0

I get:

can't add bnep0 to bridge pan0: Invalid argument

(bnep0 has IP 0.0.0.0 after ifconfig bnep0 0.0.0.0 and is up, though I
get no answer on ping which I could be a routing problem actually. Also
adding eth1 makes no problems).

As I said, no messages in logs, no more information. What's wrong?

--
Kind regards,
R.M.M

by Marcel Hilzinger

Am Dienstag, 14. November 2006 17:43 schrieb R.M.M:
> Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> <snip>
>
> >> The problem turn up when I try (after establishing connection) to add
> >> bnep0 interface to pan0 bridge interface. After
> >>
> >> ~# brctl addif pan0 bnep0
> >>
> >> I get:
> >>
> >> can't add bnep0 to bridge pan0: Invalid argument
> >>
> >> (bnep0 has IP 0.0.0.0 after ifconfig bnep0 0.0.0.0 and is up, though I
> >> get no answer on ping which I could be a routing problem actually. Also
> >> adding eth1 makes no problems).
> >>
> >> As I said, no messages in logs, no more information. What's wrong?
> >
> > you have a dongle with an invalid BD_ADDR. Return that dongle and get
> > one which has a valid address. Dongles using this address can't be added
> > to a bridge.
>
> Thanks a lot for this piece of advice. I wasn't aware there are
> unlicensed dongles on the market. Unfortunately I can't give mine back:/
> Are they somehow damaged or is it only a software problem?

I heard, that installing it under Windows changes the bt-address...

-- =

Mit freundlichen Gr=FC=DFen,
Marcel Hilzinger

Linux New Media AG
S=FCskindstr. 4
D-81929 M=FCnchen
Tel: +49 (89) 99 34 11 0
Fax: +49 (89) 99 34 11 99

by R.M.M

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi,

<snip>

>> The problem turn up when I try (after establishing connection) to add
>> bnep0 interface to pan0 bridge interface. After
>>
>> ~# brctl addif pan0 bnep0
>>
>> I get:
>>
>> can't add bnep0 to bridge pan0: Invalid argument
>>
>> (bnep0 has IP 0.0.0.0 after ifconfig bnep0 0.0.0.0 and is up, though I
>> get no answer on ping which I could be a routing problem actually. Also
>> adding eth1 makes no problems).
>>
>> As I said, no messages in logs, no more information. What's wrong?
>
> you have a dongle with an invalid BD_ADDR. Return that dongle and get
> one which has a valid address. Dongles using this address can't be added
> to a bridge.

Thanks a lot for this piece of advice. I wasn't aware there are
unlicensed dongles on the market. Unfortunately I can't give mine back:/
Are they somehow damaged or is it only a software problem?

R.M.M

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi,

> First of all I'm not completely sure if this is the right group to post
> to but since I get no error messages in logs, I hope nobody will feel
> offended.
>
> I'm trying to create an NAP under kernel 2.6.18.2 (description from
> http://bluez.sourceforge.net/contrib/HOWTO-PAN). I use an USB BT dongle
> from Integrated System Solution Corp. and it's been recognised as follows:
>
> ~# hciconfig -a
> hci0: Type: USB
> BD Address: 11:11:11:11:11:11 ACL MTU: 678:8 SCO MTU: 48:10
> UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN AUTH ENCRYPT
> RX bytes:101 acl:0 sco:0 events:13 errors:0
> TX bytes:299 acl:0 sco:0 commands:13 errors:0
> Features: 0xbf 0xfe 0x8d 0x78 0x08 0x18 0x00 0x00
> Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
> Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
> Link mode: ACCEPT MASTER
> Name: 'tempac'
> Class: 0x020100
> Service Classes: Networking
> Device Class: Computer, Uncategorized
> HCI Ver: 1.2 (0x2) HCI Rev: 0x1fe LMP Ver: 1.2 (0x2) LMP Subver:
> 0x1fe
> Manufacturer: Integrated System Solution Corp. (57)
>
> The problem turn up when I try (after establishing connection) to add
> bnep0 interface to pan0 bridge interface. After
>
> ~# brctl addif pan0 bnep0
>
> I get:
>
> can't add bnep0 to bridge pan0: Invalid argument
>
> (bnep0 has IP 0.0.0.0 after ifconfig bnep0 0.0.0.0 and is up, though I
> get no answer on ping which I could be a routing problem actually. Also
> adding eth1 makes no problems).
>
> As I said, no messages in logs, no more information. What's wrong?

you have a dongle with an invalid BD_ADDR. Return that dongle and get
one which has a valid address. Dongles using this address can't be added
to a bridge.

Regards

Marcel