2006-12-19 15:51:02

by Stefan Seyfried

Subject: [Bluez-devel] hcid.conf options not honored after DBus API had been used?

Hi,

I am observing the following:
After i have set the mode with SetMode and the timeout with
SetDiscoverableTimeout, the corresponding settings in /etc/bluetooth/hcid.c=
onf
(discovto for example) are no longer used (i can enter there whatever i want
and restart hcid, but hcid simply won't care).

I am assuming this is a feature :-)
I am, however, getting some bugreports of people that are confused that
this no longer "works as expected", especially since they are making settin=
gs
in a config tool (let's call it "YaST" :-) which are not honored.

So how to proceed here best? Let YaST write the hcid.conf _and_ set the
settings with apitest? Just drop this part of the YaST configuration tool?
Remove /var/lib/bluetooth/*/config on every boot? ;-)

I am right now tempted to say "we do no longer need a system wide config
tool since we have the DBus API" and drop almost all of the YaST
bluetooth module (keep only the stuff where you can disable bluetooth
completely, enable each daemon separately and specify the daemon
options).
But then, shouldn't we remove all the stuff that is more or less
obsolete from the shipped hcid.conf and just use compiled-in defaults
until somebody comes along and configures the system via the DBus API?

Any opinions? How is this handled on other distributions?
-- =

Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices | "Any ideas, John?"
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, N=FCrnberg | "Well, surrounding them's out." =

by Stefan Seyfried

Hi Marcel,

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 05:00:53PM +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
=

> > Any opinions? How is this handled on other distributions?
> =

> once you have values set through the D-Bus API they have priority and
> that is the only possible choice. The provided configuration options in
> hcid.conf are only default values for the distributions. No user should
> ever modify these values. This also means that YaST should no longer
> modify hcid.conf. Simply call the appropriate method via dbus-send.

Ok. How about shipping an empty hcid.conf with bluez-utils (or maybe
list the options, but comment them out) so everybody knows that "if you
touch anything here, you better know what you are doing"?

> In general you can have as many configuration tools as you want. The
> only small thing you need to take care of is to listen to signals for
> your settings, because another tool might change a value while you are
> running.

Yes, or just make all those dbus-send calls at once before exiting :-)
-- =

Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices | "Any ideas, John?"
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, N=FCrnberg | "Well, surrounding them's out." =

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Stefan,

> I am observing the following:
> After i have set the mode with SetMode and the timeout with
> SetDiscoverableTimeout, the corresponding settings in /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf
> (discovto for example) are no longer used (i can enter there whatever i want
> and restart hcid, but hcid simply won't care).
>
> I am assuming this is a feature :-)
> I am, however, getting some bugreports of people that are confused that
> this no longer "works as expected", especially since they are making settings
> in a config tool (let's call it "YaST" :-) which are not honored.
>
> So how to proceed here best? Let YaST write the hcid.conf _and_ set the
> settings with apitest? Just drop this part of the YaST configuration tool?
> Remove /var/lib/bluetooth/*/config on every boot? ;-)
>
> I am right now tempted to say "we do no longer need a system wide config
> tool since we have the DBus API" and drop almost all of the YaST
> bluetooth module (keep only the stuff where you can disable bluetooth
> completely, enable each daemon separately and specify the daemon
> options).
> But then, shouldn't we remove all the stuff that is more or less
> obsolete from the shipped hcid.conf and just use compiled-in defaults
> until somebody comes along and configures the system via the DBus API?
>
> Any opinions? How is this handled on other distributions?

once you have values set through the D-Bus API they have priority and
that is the only possible choice. The provided configuration options in
hcid.conf are only default values for the distributions. No user should
ever modify these values. This also means that YaST should no longer
modify hcid.conf. Simply call the appropriate method via dbus-send.

In general you can have as many configuration tools as you want. The
only small thing you need to take care of is to listen to signals for
your settings, because another tool might change a value while you are
running.

Regards

Marcel