2007-03-25 18:35:05

by Daniel Gollub

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Input service and multiple adapters

Hi folks,

i started playing around with the Input DBUS API and found an obscurity whe=
n =

multiple bluetooth adapters are used. Actually this is a really rare use =

case...

If i use Adapter A and call CreateDevice() and Connect() to an input device=
.. =

everything works as expected. If Adapter A got unplugged/broken and got =

replaced by Adapter B and call CreateDevice() for the same input device. Th=
e =

result will be org.bluez.input.AlreadyExists

Again.. this is a really rare use case, but is it intended to only have one =

input device configuration for the system? What about having input device =

configuration for each Adapter?

(ugly) Example:

Interface=B7 org.bluez.input.Manager
Object path=B7 /org/bluez/input/{Adapter MAC Address ...}

This makes also the integration in the GUI a bit easier. So we can display =

which input device is configured per adapter. And suppress the output of =

bluetooth input devices if the responsible adapter is unplugged/off.

Or am i completely wrong and missed something...
... if not i fear the same problem for the Audio DBUS API as well.

best regards,
Daniel

by Stefan Seyfried

On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 08:35:05PM +0200, Daniel Gollub wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> i started playing around with the Input DBUS API and found an obscurity when
> multiple bluetooth adapters are used. Actually this is a really rare use
> case...
>
> If i use Adapter A and call CreateDevice() and Connect() to an input device ..
> everything works as expected. If Adapter A got unplugged/broken and got
> replaced by Adapter B and call CreateDevice() for the same input device. The
> result will be org.bluez.input.AlreadyExists
>
> Again.. this is a really rare use case, but is it intended to only have one

No, it is pretty common.
I have one USB cable at home, with a hub and everything (including BT dongles)
connected to it and one USB cable at work, again with a BT dongle. And then i
have a BT dongle in my pocket for on-the-road usage.
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Any ideas, John?"
"Well, surrounding them's out."