2007-04-10 14:15:27

by shaun lim

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Mutliple Dongles with Bluez

Hello!

Anybody knows if its possible to interface multiple bluetooth dongles with Bluez? I would like to get pass the maximum 7 connections per dongle limitation of Bluetooth by installing more than one bluetooth dongle to a computer and thus increasing the number of connections available.

Anybody have experience developing such applications?

Thanks!

Regards
Shaun

---------------------------------

(No filename) (345.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by shaun lim

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Mutliple Dongles with Bluez

thanks for the replies guys! i'll try it out and post my experience here

"Williams, Richard" <[email protected]> wrote: Shaun,
> Anybody knows if its possible to interface multiple bluetooth dongles with Bluez?
> I would like to get pass the maximum 7 connections per dongle limitation of Bluetooth
> by installing more than one bluetooth dongle to a computer and thus increasing the
> number of connections available.
>
> Anybody have experience developing such applications?

This works fine, but make sure you have the latest Bluez libs. And make sure you have a
kernel at least 2.6.20 vintage. If not, then when you're running two simultaneous commands to
two different Bluetooth devices, you may get a kernel oops.

Otherwise, its easy enough to write a multi-threaded application that addresses multiple dongles.
And it works very well.

-Rich

---------------------------------
Get your own web address.

(No filename) (345.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Williams, Richard

Shaun,
> Anybody knows if its possible to interface multiple bluetooth dongles
with Bluez?
> I would like to get pass the maximum 7 connections per dongle
limitation of Bluetooth
> by installing more than one bluetooth dongle to a computer and thus
increasing the
> number of connections available.
>
> Anybody have experience developing such applications?

This works fine, but make sure you have the latest Bluez libs. And make
sure you have a
kernel at least 2.6.20 vintage. If not, then when you're running two
simultaneous commands to
two different Bluetooth devices, you may get a kernel oops.

Otherwise, its easy enough to write a multi-threaded application that
addresses multiple dongles.
And it works very well.

-Rich

________________________________

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49980/*http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265>
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49980/*http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265>

Attachments:
(No filename) (345.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Shaun,

> Anybody knows if its possible to interface multiple bluetooth dongles
> with Bluez? I would like to get pass the maximum 7 connections per
> dongle limitation of Bluetooth by installing more than one bluetooth
> dongle to a computer and thus increasing the number of connections
> available.

you can do that. It simply works. There is a limit of 16 adapters per
host, but that can be changed with a simple recompilation of the
Bluetooth library.

Regards

Marcel