2004-03-02 21:47:42

by Williams, Richard

Subject: RE: [Bluez-devel] Problem with hci_usb

>>>James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

SCO support in bluez is still in development.
Once it works correctly in 2.6.x, someone might back port it to 2.4.x,=20
but there is no point in back porting something until it is finished.
Everything you describe above is "known issues".

Cheers
James

<<<<<<<<

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my Linux machine to support audio to a headset. =
There's
been several replies in the last week to my questions about SCO support=20
in Linux. But I haven't found a package or instructions that explain how
to get it to work. A couple of people have said "hstest" or "scotest", =
but
nothing really works. Now I see the above posting. Does this mean I =
should=20
abandon my headset work until SCO is working ?

Regards,

Rich

by James Courtier-Dutton

Williams, Richard wrote:

> SCO support in bluez is still in development.
> Once it works correctly in 2.6.x, someone might back port it to 2.4.x,
> but there is no point in back porting something until it is finished.
> Everything you describe above is "known issues".
>
> Cheers
> James
>
> <<<<<<<<
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to get my Linux machine to support audio to a headset. There's
> been several replies in the last week to my questions about SCO support
> in Linux. But I haven't found a package or instructions that explain how
> to get it to work. A couple of people have said "hstest" or "scotest", but
> nothing really works. Now I see the above posting. Does this mean I should
> abandon my headset work until SCO is working ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Rich

Steps required to get a headset paired and play/record sounds from it: -
You have to have: -
kernel 2.6.4 or 2.6.3 with bluez patches. (It might work with 2.4.x
kernels, but I have no idea if it works or not with them.)
Make sure you are root user for all of the following.

modprobe hci_usb (If you have a usb dongle)
modprobe rfcomm
modprobe sco
hcid
sdpd
hciconfig hci0 up
bluepin <- Should return "ERR", if it returns some other error, get a
different version of bluepin.
remove any current "link_key" and "pin" files from /etc/bluetooth.

Get your headset into to "set up pairing" mode. (for me I just keep my
finger on the power on butter for 15 seconds, and it then flashes red/greed)

hcitool scan
That should return something like "00:0A:D9:48:00:6E HBH-30"
00:0A:D9:48:00:6E is the bdaddr and will be used in following commands,
so substitute your own bdaddr.
l2ping 00:0A:D9:48:00:6E <- This should pop up a window asking for
your pin.
Enter 0000 <- for may headset.
You should then get something like: -
l2ping 00:0A:D9:48:00:6E
Ping: 00:0A:D9:48:00:6E from 00:A0:96:1F:42:BF (data size 20) ...
20 bytes from 00:0A:D9:48:00:6E id 200 time 28.18ms
20 bytes from 00:0A:D9:48:00:6E id 201 time 20.93ms
20 bytes from 00:0A:D9:48:00:6E id 202 time 15.99ms
20 bytes from 00:0A:D9:48:00:6E id 203 time 27.02ms

This means you now have your devices paired.
This will create a "/etc/bluetooth/link_key" file.

hstest record test1.wav 00:0A:D9:48:00:6E 1
This should output: -
Voice setting: 0x0060
RFCOMM channel connected
SCO audio channel connected (handle 43, mtu 64)
AT*ECBP=?
AT+VGS=15

and then record sound from the headset.

hstest record test1.wav 00:0A:D9:48:00:6E 1
to playback to the sound on the headset.

Cheers
James

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Richard,

> I'm trying to get my Linux machine to support audio to a headset. There's
> been several replies in the last week to my questions about SCO support
> in Linux. But I haven't found a package or instructions that explain how
> to get it to work. A couple of people have said "hstest" or "scotest", but
> nothing really works. Now I see the above posting. Does this mean I should
> abandon my headset work until SCO is working ?

everything depends on what you are trying to achieve. In general we have
SCO support, but it is not perfect and not very easy to use.

Regards

Marcel