2004-03-10 07:45:04

by Michael Schmidt

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] bd_addr question

Hi Jessica,

> Sorry, I worded it poorly. I'm a graduate student researching
> privacy issues related to Bluetooth, which I'm pretty new to. I'm
> trying to work a way around the fact that each device address is
> unique therefore trackable. I was wondering if I were to buy a
> Bluetooth transmitter and build my own device, can I change the
> bd_addr that is stored by the chip's manufacturer? Which
> layer/module is in charge of reading that unique bd_addr? I hope
> that makes more sense!

Check the source files of the AXIS OpenBT stack
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/openbt/) for vendor-specific commands
on how to change the BD_ADDR of certain Ericsson and CSR modules (sorry,
I forgot the precise files where these commands are located in). After
performing the address change, you need to hard-reset (i.e. typically
disconnect) the modules to make the change effective.

Keep in mind that you break some of the BT functionality when you use
variable BD_ADDRs: The pairing-based security mechanisms (authentication
and encryption) rely on a constant BD_ADDR. I guess there is more
functionality that is affected by the change.

Hope this helps,

Michael

Michael Schmidt
Institute for Data Communications Systems
University of Siegen, Germany

by Steven Singer

Michael Schmidt wrote:
> Keep in mind that you break some of the BT functionality when you use
> variable BD_ADDRs: The pairing-based security mechanisms (authentication
> and encryption) rely on a constant BD_ADDR. I guess there is more
> functionality that is affected by the change.

Don't forget that Bluetooth addresses must be unique otherwise unpleasant
things happen.

Bluetooth addresses come out of the same address space as MAC addresses,
if you want to use your own then you need to get an OUI or IAB allocation
from the IEEE.

The BD ADDR <-> MAC point is important. If you start running BNEP
(Bluetooth Network Encapsulation Protocol = Ethernet over Bluetooth)
then the Bluetooth device will use its Bluetooth address as its Ethernet
MAC address. This means that you can't simply take the MAC address from
another device on your system (say an Ethernet card) and use it as your
Bluetooth address.

- Steven

the system manager.

http://www.mimesweeper.com