2004-04-23 13:19:02

by Rybalkin, Albert

Subject: RE: [Bluez-devel] RE: Recent CSR BlueCore2 firmware

Well, I guess it wouldn't be hard to figure out that I don't
"have the right permissions"...

Anyway, is there any way to get a hold of PSTool besides paying
mega-bucks to CSR for their BlueSuite/BlueLab SDKs? All I need is
to be able to change persistent store settings in my BlueCore2-external
module (which I've already paid for).

I have a small hobby project (noncommercial, of course) to implant
a bluetooth module into my aging Psion 5mx running linux 2.4.19.
Is there any way for me to get PSTool without spending big bucks
on SDK which I don';t need and can't afford? Or CSR only favors
large customers who pay big bucks for support? If so, it's really
a sad situation for non-commercial bluetooth developers...
--
Albert Rybalkin

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcel Holtmann [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 1:31 AM
To: Rybalkin, Albert
Cc: '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'

Hi Albert,

> Does anyone have a windows PSTool utility? I don't have a linux
> machine here, so can't use pskey... If anyone can email me
> PSTool, it would be greatly appreciated!

please don't ask here for specific windows software that nobody is
allowed to send you. Only the guys from CSR can send you the software
and actually I think they will tell you, that you can download it from
their support sites if you have the right permissions.

Regards

Marcel

2004-04-23 14:20:57

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Albert,

> Well, I guess it wouldn't be hard to figure out that I don't
> "have the right permissions"...

I guessed that, but you can't ask other people than the guys from CSR to
send you this tool ;)

> Anyway, is there any way to get a hold of PSTool besides paying
> mega-bucks to CSR for their BlueSuite/BlueLab SDKs? All I need is
> to be able to change persistent store settings in my
> BlueCore2-external
> module (which I've already paid for).

Actually you can use Linux and BlueZ to change every PS key. There is no
real utility like the PS tool from CSR, but with some coding experience
this is also possible. I personally don't provide a way of changing the
PS keys with any of the BlueZ utilities, because it is easy to set your
module into a non working state. Actually it is not really hard to write
a PS tool for Linux/BlueZ, but someone has to do it. If you expect me to
do it then you must found somebody who pays me for doing it, because
otherwise I won't find time for it.

Regards

Marcel

by Steven Singer

Rybalkin, Albert wrote:
> Anyway, is there any way to get a hold of PSTool besides paying
> mega-bucks to CSR for their BlueSuite/BlueLab SDKs? All I need is
> to be able to change persistent store settings in my BlueCore2-external
> module (which I've already paid for).
>
> I have a small hobby project (noncommercial, of course) to implant
> a bluetooth module into my aging Psion 5mx running linux 2.4.19.
> Is there any way for me to get PSTool without spending big bucks
> on SDK which I don';t need and can't afford? Or CSR only favors
> large customers who pay big bucks for support? If so, it's really
> a sad situation for non-commercial bluetooth developers...

CSR run some support newsgroups. They're open to everyone including
hobby developers. Instructions on using them are are:

http://www.csr.com/forum.htm

Use the same etiquette as you would for an open source development
mailing list (such as bluez-devel). That is, read the FAQ, post
polite but detailed questions, and remember that the support on those
newsgroups is free so it may take time for someone to get round to
answering your question and stupid, frequently asked or RTFM questions
may be ignored. If you mention you've been told to forward your question
there, then you're more likely to get a prompt response.

Explain on the newsgroup what it is you're trying to do rather than
just stating that you need PSTool. Depending on the precise nature of
the problem there may be other solutions and the more interesting the
problem the more likely you are to get a reply.

- Steven

the system manager.

http://www.mimesweeper.com