2004-05-13 12:51:54

by Christoph Scholz

Subject: [Bluez-devel] PAN and bridge problem when bnep0 disconnects before bnep1

Hi,

I experienced the same problem as Matthias Thomae. I already posted this
to the mailing-list some time ago (see attached mail). It is actually a
problem with the Linux bridge code. It does not seem to be able to cope
with multiple interfaces using the same MAC-Address.

Unfortunately, I have no real solution to the problem.

Regards,

Christoph

Attachments:
(No filename) (2.05 kB)
Forwarded message - Problems with Bridging and PAN Profile

2004-05-13 18:22:43

by Diego Liziero

I've solved my issue.

Mine was just a bridge bug introduced in 2.6.6
and already solved.

http://lists.osdl.org/pipermail/bridge/2004-May/000321.html

Regards,

Diego.

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 16:07, Diego Liziero wrote:
> Maybe I'm hitting a related bug.
> I'm trying to setup a PAN bridge with kernel 2.6.6-rc3-mm2
> with ipv6 enabled (same result with other 2.6 kernels) and when I try
> to add bnep1 to the bridge I got the following error:
>
> # brctl addif pan0 bnep1
> br_add_interface: File exists
>
> Everything works fine with 2.4.* kernels (without ipv6).
>
> It seems like in linux-2.6.* + ipv6 it's impossible to have
> two bnep interfaces in the same bridge.
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Regards,
>
> Diego.

by Diego Liziero

Maybe I'm hitting a related bug.
I'm trying to setup a PAN bridge with kernel 2.6.6-rc3-mm2
with ipv6 enabled (same result with other 2.6 kernels) and when I try
to add bnep1 to the bridge I got the following error:

# brctl addif pan0 bnep1
br_add_interface: File exists

Everithing works fine with 2.4.* kernels (without ipv6).

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 14:51, Christoph Scholz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I experienced the same problem as Matthias Thomae. I already posted this
> to the mailing-list some time ago (see attached mail). It is actually a
> problem with the Linux bridge code. It does not seem to be able to cope
> with multiple interfaces using the same MAC-Address.
>
> Unfortunately, I have no real solution to the problem.
>
> Regards,
>
> Christoph

by Matthias Thomae

Hi Christoph,

Christoph Scholz wrote:
> I experienced the same problem as Matthias Thomae. I already posted this

Glad there's others with the same problem ;)

> to the mailing-list some time ago (see attached mail). It is actually a

Missed your mail although I searched the archives...

> problem with the Linux bridge code. It does not seem to be able to cope
> with multiple interfaces using the same MAC-Address.

Aha. These MAC addresses seem to be used in the forwarding database.
Maybe setting the ageing time to 0 (man brctl) would help...

> Unfortunately, I have no real solution to the problem.

What kernel version are you using (on the GN)? I noticed in the
changelog for 2.6.6 there were a number of bridge-related changes, e.g.:

<[email protected]>
[BRIDGE]: Forwarding database changes.

Make forwarding database more robust.
+ Don't insert invalid ether address,
+ Report errors back so adding an interface to bridge can fail
+ get rid of unneeded explicit pads in data structure
+ replace bitfields with byte's for simple booleans.

Maybe that fixes our problem? I might be able to try 2.6.6 and the
ageing timer tonight...

BTW, have you written to the bridge people?

Regards.
Matthias

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Matthias,

> I have a BlueZ NAP setup with bridging (essentially following the PAN
> HOWTO), which works quite nicely (thanks to all developers :) except
> when the first connected bnep0 client is killed before the 2nd client
> (bnep1).
>
> I am running a DHCP server on the server's bridge (pan0), and eth0 is
> NOT part of the bridge, I use IP forwarding instead.
>
> The problem is, that after bnep0 is removed (by killing it on the
> respective client with 'pand -K'), bnep1 doesn't 'work' any longer,
> meaning ping etc. don't work any more. And I couldn't find anything in
> the syslogs, except that after a while the client's DHCP client starts
> to issue DHCPDISCOVERs.
>
> ifdown/ifup on bnep1 don't seem to help either, the only way I could
> find to make it work again was to issue 'pand -K' on the server and
> reconnect the clients.
>
> If bnep1 disconnects before bnep0, no problem.
>
> I'm using quite late BlueZ versions on all machines (at least kernel
> 2.6.5-mh3 and the latest Debian bluez-utils 2.6-1 and bluez-pan
> 1.1rel-4), and I can reproduce the behaviour also with a Windows client
> on bnep0.

sounds like a bridge problem to me. Are you sure that your bridge is
setup correctly. Take a look at the bridge howto's.

Regards

Marcel