2004-09-30 18:01:53

by jbarre

Subject: [Bluez-devel] [Fwd: Re: [Asterisk-Dev] New Bounty: Bluetooth Phone Support]

Hi,

The Asterisk-Dev list is talking about bt... ounce again...

Since I'm (really) not an expert in this kind of stuff, I would like to
have your opinion.

Here is a copy of my last reply to this list.

Note: I'm not in the bluez-devel list. Too much mail... :-(

Please don't forget to add my email address to your reply.

Thanks a lot, J?r?me.

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:27:03 +0200
From: jbarre <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>

First... I guess we should all focus on SCO support for bluez:
http://www.bluez.org/todo.html

Then... this is another step :
* -> headset
* -> cellphone

2 kind of chan_

Then... SMS (easy), least cost routing (obvious), directory synchro, and
other features.

Why don't you send the bounties to bluez???

J?r?me

(I may be wrong... but that's the way I see the bt integration stuff).

Brad Midgley wrote:
> Ozed,
>
> In our sourceforge project, we're targeting host->headset but it
> wouldn't be hard to make the leap to host->cellphone.
>
> FYI, after some input here and over at the alsa project, I think the
> bluetooth-alsa stuff needs tighter kernel integration and needs to work
> with either hotplug or dbus.
>
> check out the btp on digium cvs server that trclark mentioned for a
> start from the asterisk side.
>
> Brad
>
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Hi Nate,
>> I will be intereseted in working on an asterisk bluetooth channel.
>> I worked on a bluetooth projector back in college and I think I can
>> transfer some of that knowledge to this project. Cheers
>> Ozed
>> Quoting Nate Carlson <[email protected]>:
>>

>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> Jay Milk and I have sponsored a new bounty to get Bluetooth phone
>>> support added to Asterisk - that is, the Asterisk host has a
>>> bluetooth dongle, and can send/receive calls via a Bluetooth cell phone.
>>>
>>> See:
>>>
>>> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+bounty+bluetooth+cell-phone+support
>>>

>>> The pot's at $150 right now.

by jbarre

Hi Marcel

Thanks for your answer. I have more questions - Tell me if I'm off topic
for the list.

> what you first need is correct ALSA-SCO-Bluetooth integration.

Yes, I understand this... my idea is (was?) to collaborate with an
existing projects, at least to get advises and have a "good" framework.

I'm trying to have an idea of the "State of the Art"... existing
projects, what works, what doesn't works, common issues...

Since a few weeks, I have the following links in my bookmarks :

(a) Bluetooth headset driver for ALSA - snd-bt-sco
http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~jp/snd-bt-sco/

According to the original site, its current status is: "this driver
is not the proper way to implement headset capabilities, and somebody
else will hopefully come up with a better solution".

(b) http://www.gargan.org/linux/snd-bt-sco/

They have patch a kernel patch for snd-bt-sco(a). And a new btsco-0.3...
Maybe (I hope) they have the "proper" way...

(c) Handsfree and Headset support for BlueZ -
http://www.soft.uni-linz.ac.at/_wiki/tiki-index.php?page=ProjectBluezHandsfree
I haven't tested it for the moment.

(d) kbthandsfree - http://kde-bluetooth.sourceforge.net/
It seems very advanced... but maybe to too much integrated to qt/kde, I
will have to spend hours to "understand" the code :-) We need something
small for telephony applications.

-> Are you aware of other free projects implementing sco features?

There is also on your web site - http://http://www.bluez.org/todo.html
the "todo" page :
"sco audio stuff

* Full support for SCO connections with the HCI USB driver
* Simple API for adapters with PCM interface
* Native integration with ALSA for Linux 2.6"

-> Is it the "correct" ALSA-SCO-Bluetooth you're talking about?

I'm also going to get in touch with projects (a)(b)(c)(d) to get more
info... maybe some of their dev are also in bluez list?
Then, if you are interested, I could send some kind of little
"synthesis"... for you web site.

> PBX. You will be hit by the restrictions of the headset/handsfree
> profiles, because they are designed for a different approach. However,

Restrictions,

-> Because of the mobile phones (harware/firware) ?

-> Or because of BT - SCO (in theorie) ?

Best regards, thanks again.

J?r?me.

///
- I'm a bad dev, I'm typing slowly... but I don't want to put my fingers
into something that may not work :-)
- Still not in the list, don't forget cc me.
- And my Englis isn't good since I'm French.

2004-10-01 10:21:20

by Lars Grunewaldt

by James Courtier-Dutton

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Jerome,
>

>>The Asterisk-Dev list is talking about bt... ounce again...
>>
>>Since I'm (really) not an expert in this kind of stuff, I would like to
>>have your opinion.
>>
>>Here is a copy of my last reply to this list.
>>
>>Note: I'm not in the bluez-devel list. Too much mail... :-(
>>
>>Please don't forget to add my email address to your reply.
>

> as long as there are no mobile phones with cordless telephony (CTP)
> support I think it makes no sense to think about the integration into a
> PBX. You will be hit by the restrictions of the headset/handsfree
> profiles, because they are designed for a different approach. However,
> what you first need is correct ALSA-SCO-Bluetooth integration.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

Just a bit of advice. If anyone does any contributions to Asterisk, for
those contributions to be accepted, one has to sign over one's copyright
to a single Asterisk developer.
So, if one wishes to keep copyright over one's work, do not contribute
to Asterisk.

James

2004-10-01 08:05:04

by Marcel Holtmann