2005-01-21 11:44:10

by Ben Pezzei

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Again: Problems with Dongle, Headset or btsco

Hi

I still try to use my Anycom 240 USB Dongle with the Plantronics 2500
Headset. As Marcel stated in a previous Thread, this dongle looks
like to have an RSSI inquiry bug.

to make it short: shall I buy another dongle? And which one is known
to work without problems?

Here is the List what I did:

compile 2.6.10 Kernel (without patch-2.6.10-mh1.gz). In
previous trys I used the bluez libs and tools (compiled
them outside the kernel).

compile the latest btsco csv

btsco <addr> connects to the headset and i can change
the volume via the headset-button.

So i guess the rfcomm Communication is ok

But aplay -D plughw:Headset soundfile doesnt work.
either arecord ...
(btw: Should aplay ... be executed while btsco is connected
to the HS?)

weird thing: when using the hstest prog in bluez-utils i am
able to record _something_ but it's more or less static
(although the noises appear to be the spoken text - with
wrong frequency/speed).

Any Hints?

friendly regards
ben

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Re: Again: Problems with Dongle, Headset or btsco

Hi Lars,

> as it seems that those dongles seem not to work with the currect sco
> implementation, what would you propose to debug this misfunction?
>
> Maybe the hci_usb driver can be fixed or a workaround added for this
> chipsets (I think they are buggy, not our implementation, but if there's
> a simple workaround...)

the Silicon Wave chips are not the best ones. They have problems and it
seems that they are not going to fix them. Mostly because they sell ROM
chips are these ones can't be updated by a newer firmware. However if
this is the problem with SCO packets and handle 0 then the hci_usb
driver should simply drop these frames, because they are not valid SCO
payload.

Regards

Marcel

by Lars Grunewaldt

Marcel,

as it seems that those dongles seem not to work with the currect sco
implementation, what would you propose to debug this misfunction?

Maybe the hci_usb driver can be fixed or a workaround added for this
chipsets (I think they are buggy, not our implementation, but if there's
a simple workaround...)

best regards,
~ Lars

Ben Pezzei wrote:
| Hi
|
| Lars Grunewaldt schrieb:
|

|> uhm, this is wrong. If you are using the "actual" btsco package from CVS
|> - - and you should be - it must record as signed 16 bit if I'm not
|> mistaken (possibly unsigned 16B, but in no case 8 bit)
|

| This worked neither
|
| Anyways, I just want to let you know that I kicked the Anycom
| Dongle and bought an D-Link DBT 120 Rev 4, et voila: Everything
| is working fine.
|
| Headset: Plantronics 2500
|
| tnx again for your help and congrats @ Developers
|
| greetings
| ben

- --
Lars Grunewaldt
* software development
* multimedia design
skills: C/C++/Java/PHP/(X)HTML/Flash/audio/video
web: http://www.dark-reality.de
mail: [email protected]

by Ben Pezzei

Hi

Lars Grunewaldt schrieb:

> uhm, this is wrong. If you are using the "actual" btsco package from CVS
> - - and you should be - it must record as signed 16 bit if I'm not
> mistaken (possibly unsigned 16B, but in no case 8 bit)

This worked neither

Anyways, I just want to let you know that I kicked the Anycom
Dongle and bought an D-Link DBT 120 Rev 4, et voila: Everything
is working fine.

Headset: Plantronics 2500

tnx again for your help and congrats @ Developers

greetings
ben

by Lars Grunewaldt

by Ben Pezzei

Hi Sebastian,

Sebastian Roth schrieb:

>> unfortunately
>> arecord -D plughw:Headset z1.out
>> Recording WAVE 'z1.out' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
>>
>> only creates a 44 Byte big file z1.out with the header but
>> no content
>
> For older versions of arecord this is the usual behaviour. Update
> alsa-tools or try the commandline switch '-d' (man arecord).

Well, I'll give it a last try: I'll patch the kernel
with the mh1 patch from bluez and the latest alsa libs.
(currently installed arecord version is 1.0.7 - latest is 1.0.8),
although i doubt this will finally work :)

One very last Question (BT specific):

I upgraded the Dongle on a win xp box to BT 1.2. After reading
the docs, 1.2 has some changes in it regarding Audio which imho
affects the SCO part, right? Does it make sense to downgrade the
dongle to 1.1 (if possible)?

finally, tnx all for your replies & tips

greetings
ben

by Sebastian Roth

Hi Ben,

> ok. Is it possible that the SCO Part of this dongle is somehow broken?
> Obviously the RFCOMM Part is working fine.
I've had problems with a Anycom 220 dongle (also Silicon Wave chip) too.
RFCOMM seemed to work but no sound. hcidump showed a flow of sco packets
with handle 0. Can't get it working till now so I decided to use another
one.

> Question: when connected via btsco and trying to play
> some sound with:
> aplay -D plughw:Headset soundfile
> Does soundfile need to have the correct samplerate,frequency,etc
> as the Headset?
IMHO, no.

> unfortunately
> arecord -D plughw:Headset z1.out
> Recording WAVE 'z1.out' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
>
> only creates a 44 Byte big file z1.out with the header but
> no content
For older versions of arecord this is the usual behaviour. Update
alsa-tools or try the commandline switch '-d' (man arecord).

Best regards,

Sebastian

by ligi

by mirko_3

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:59:39 +0100
Ben Pezzei <[email protected]> wrote:

> ok. Is it possible that the SCO Part of this dongle is somehow broken?
> Obviously the RFCOMM Part is working fine.
>
> Since the hwdep module is part of the alsa-libs it looks like
> the dongle can't be re-initialized (as a soundcard) after a
> disconnect.
>
> Question: when connected via btsco and trying to play
> some sound with:
> aplay -D plughw:Headset soundfile
> Does soundfile need to have the correct samplerate,frequency,etc
> as the Headset?
> I am also able to set speaker and capture volume of the Headset
> with alsamixer -c 1
>
> unfortunately
> arecord -D plughw:Headset z1.out
> Recording WAVE 'z1.out' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
>
> only creates a 44 Byte big file z1.out with the header but
> no content
>
> Last Question: Which are other methods to send/receive
> data from/to the headset beside aplay / arecord?
>
> eg cat /dev/snd/pcmC1D0c > z1.out ? :)

Can't help you with the rest, but in xmms you can select the headset...

by Ben Pezzei

Hi Lars,

Lars Grunewaldt schrieb:
> | I guess the Problem has to do with the SCO or ALSA Stuff
>
> sco, not alsa I think. The alsa stuff is only needed to transmit the sco
> data to the alsa functions and vice versa, so it's unlikly that the
> impossibility of reconnecting on a new sco channel is the problem. More
> likely the sco channel is not terminated correctly in the first place.

ok. Is it possible that the SCO Part of this dongle is somehow broken?
Obviously the RFCOMM Part is working fine.

Since the hwdep module is part of the alsa-libs it looks like
the dongle can't be re-initialized (as a soundcard) after a
disconnect.

Question: when connected via btsco and trying to play
some sound with:
aplay -D plughw:Headset soundfile
Does soundfile need to have the correct samplerate,frequency,etc
as the Headset?
I am also able to set speaker and capture volume of the Headset
with alsamixer -c 1

unfortunately
arecord -D plughw:Headset z1.out
Recording WAVE 'z1.out' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono

only creates a 44 Byte big file z1.out with the header but
no content

Last Question: Which are other methods to send/receive
data from/to the headset beside aplay / arecord?

eg cat /dev/snd/pcmC1D0c > z1.out ? :)

greetings

by mirko_3

> You can try the patches out, I use them and it works well.

Hi,
allow me to say: I have the exact same problem, can't get my dongle to work. Anyway, what I meant to say was that the patches change absolutely nothing: still have to replug the dongle to reconnect, and still get no audio (although volume buttons work).
If you need any information to cross-check and try to isolate the problem, just ask.

-mirko_3

by Lars Grunewaldt

Ben Pezzei wrote:
| Hi Lars,
|
| Tnx for your reply
|
| Lars Grunewaldt schrieb:

|> 3. disconnect the headset by pressing the "connect" button of the
|> headset again. Audio stops working until you "connect" again with the
|> button.
|

| like i said, the rfcomm connection is fine: (output from btsco <addr>):

btsco handles rfcomm and sco connections, so...

| Device is 1:0
| Voice setting: 0x0060
| RFCOMM channel 1 connected
| recieved AT+CKPD=200
| opened hwdep
| connected SCO channel
| Setting sco fd
| Done setting sco fd

this looks good.

| after reconnecting via headset:
| disconnected SCO channel
| recieved AT+CKPD=200
| opened hwdep
| Can't connect SCO audio channel
| : Connection timed out

this does not. It should re-connect without problems, but I can't tell
whether this would be solved with mh1-patches or what might causing that
you can't reconnect to the headset.

Lars Grunewaldt schrieb:

> 3. disconnect the headset by pressing the "connect" button of the
> headset again. Audio stops working until you "connect" again with the
> button.

like i said, the rfcomm connection is fine: (output from btsco <addr>):

Device is 1:0
Voice setting: 0x0060
RFCOMM channel 1 connected
recieved AT+CKPD=200
opened hwdep
connected SCO channel
Setting sco fd
Done setting sco fd
recieved AT+VGS=04

after reconnecting via headset:
disconnected SCO channel
recieved AT+CKPD=200
opened hwdep
Can't connect SCO audio channel
: Connection timed out

I always have to replug the dongle and restart btsco.

The question remains: Do I need the patch-2.6.10-mh1.gz patch?

I guess the Problem has to do with the SCO or ALSA Stuff

> If you did everything like this, it should work like described. If it
> does not, you might need another dongle :)

well, looks like the anycom 240 is fubar

greetings
ben

by Lars Grunewaldt

maybe this is redundant information, but the correct use of btsco is this:

1. start btsco <addr>

when it is ready connection to the headset (no more output), press the
headset "connect" button - some output like "open hwdep, connected sco
channel" should show up

keep btsco running! do not quit it!

2. use any audio app including aplay to play/record audio while the
headset is connected

******

If you did everything like this, it should work like described. If it
does not, you might need another dongle :)

I'm using a epox bt-dg03 and it works fine for me, that is, for my
logitech mx900 bt mouse and my sony ericsson hbh-35 headset. I don't
know if this is the "best" dongle.

I was also able to use the headset with the "dongle" that came with the
MX900, but I never made much tests there (the headset is only used with
the epox dongle because I keep my IM programs running on that PC)

best regards,
~ Lars

Ben Pezzei wrote:
| Hi
|
| I still try to use my Anycom 240 USB Dongle with the Plantronics 2500
| Headset. As Marcel stated in a previous Thread, this dongle looks
| like to have an RSSI inquiry bug.
|
| to make it short: shall I buy another dongle? And which one is known
| to work without problems?
|
| Here is the List what I did:
|
| compile 2.6.10 Kernel (without patch-2.6.10-mh1.gz). In
| previous trys I used the bluez libs and tools (compiled
| them outside the kernel).
|
| compile the latest btsco csv
|
| btsco <addr> connects to the headset and i can change
| the volume via the headset-button.
|
| So i guess the rfcomm Communication is ok
|
| But aplay -D plughw:Headset soundfile doesnt work.
| either arecord ...
| (btw: Should aplay ... be executed while btsco is connected
| to the HS?)
|
| weird thing: when using the hstest prog in bluez-utils i am
| able to record _something_ but it's more or less static
| (although the noises appear to be the spoken text - with
| wrong frequency/speed).
|
| Any Hints?
|
| friendly regards
| ben