2005-02-06 18:19:22

by Andreas Millinger

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hciattach problem

Hello Marcel,
>no. The libs and utils will not change the behaviour of your kernel. I
>think you had an experimental patch in one of the kernels that causes
>your problem. May you wanna also check the 2.6.11-rc3 to be sure that
>everything is fine.

I have checked with -mh3, too, and it does also work. I have no
experimental patch in my kernel, so I don't know, what the problem was.
But I think, I have done something wrong in the config or so. Thanks for
your help.

regards

Andreas

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] documentation question

Hi Jack,

> Sorry if the question doesn't make any sense. What I am thinking is a
> dummy hello world tutorial to convince newcomers, and after that they may
> get more excited and go further reading books and source code, buying
> hardwares and getting involved. It could be a simple list without showing
> any why's. I would say it is more psychological than technical.

the question was unpolite and if you read the paper from ESR you might
understand why.

One point of open source is that you get involved and if you don't like
the current situation with the documentation, then do something and
write one, that will exactly do what you asked me to do. I am happy to
link it or to put it somewhere for easy access.

> Actually I may not need that anymore after spending time digging through
> the mailing archive, but I think it would be very helpful.

The mailing list archive is exactly there for this. Otherwise I can stop
answering emails. And again, it you think something more is needed, then
start with it and do it.

Regards

Marcel

by Jack Jia

Hi Marcel,

Sorry if the question doesn't make any sense. What I am thinking is a
dummy hello world tutorial to convince newcomers, and after that they may
get more excited and go further reading books and source code, buying
hardwares and getting involved. It could be a simple list without showing
any why's. I would say it is more psychological than technical.

Actually I may not need that anymore after spending time digging through
the mailing archive, but I think it would be very helpful.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Regards,
Jack

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> Hi Jack,
>
>> Could you or someone else take one or two hours to give us newcomers a
>> brief updated tutorial on how to make generic things running, especially
>> hciemu (because it is hardware independent)? I couldn't find updated
>> documentation and felt very hard to start. The mailing list is great, but
>> it is pain to search the whole list for a basic start point from scattered
>> information. I know I shouldn't ask more but think about this may help
>> thousands of newcomers like me.
>
> you are kidding me, right? Take one or two hours? Please read the paper
> from Eric S. Raymond on what you can expect:

>> I am following http://www.hanscees.com/bluezhowto.html, is that ok? If
>> this is ok for current version of Bluez too, please ignore the previous
>> paragraph.
>
> This might be outdated, but you will get the basic things. You can of
> course still buy a book:
>
> http://www.bluez.org/books.html
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Jack,

> Could you or someone else take one or two hours to give us newcomers a
> brief updated tutorial on how to make generic things running, especially
> hciemu (because it is hardware independent)? I couldn't find updated
> documentation and felt very hard to start. The mailing list is great, but
> it is pain to search the whole list for a basic start point from scattered
> information. I know I shouldn't ask more but think about this may help
> thousands of newcomers like me.

you are kidding me, right? Take one or two hours? Please read the paper
from Eric S. Raymond on what you can expect:

> I am following http://www.hanscees.com/bluezhowto.html, is that ok? If
> this is ok for current version of Bluez too, please ignore the previous
> paragraph.

This might be outdated, but you will get the basic things. You can of
course still buy a book:

http://www.bluez.org/books.html

Regards

Marcel

by Jack Jia

Subject: [Bluez-devel] documentation question

Hi, Marcel:

Could you or someone else take one or two hours to give us newcomers a
brief updated tutorial on how to make generic things running, especially
hciemu (because it is hardware independent)? I couldn't find updated
documentation and felt very hard to start. The mailing list is great, but
it is pain to search the whole list for a basic start point from scattered
information. I know I shouldn't ask more but think about this may help
thousands of newcomers like me.

I am following http://www.hanscees.com/bluezhowto.html, is that ok? If
this is ok for current version of Bluez too, please ignore the previous
paragraph.

Regards,
Jack

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hciattach problem

Hi Andreas,

> >no. The libs and utils will not change the behaviour of your kernel. I
> >think you had an experimental patch in one of the kernels that causes
> >your problem. May you wanna also check the 2.6.11-rc3 to be sure that
> >everything is fine.
> >

> I have checked with -mh3, too, and it does also work. I have no
> experimental patch in my kernel, so I don't know, what the problem was.
> But I think, I have done something wrong in the config or so. Thanks for
> your help.

actually I asked you to test 2.6.11-rc3 and not the -mh3. I want to be
sure that the latest testing kernel before the final 2.6.11 has no
problems with it. So grab 2.6.11-rc3-bk3 and test it please.

Regards

Marcel