2005-04-05 02:24:11

by Brad Midgley

Subject: [Bluez-devel] arm boards for embedding bluez

Hey

Does anyone have a feel for what is available now for doing embedded
bluez stuff with arm? I would like to put together something with a
class 1 adapter... it seems like there was talk of a board for embedding
that had class 1 built in but I can't find it in the archives and
googling reveals a bunch of designs that have probably been abandoned.

I am hoping that by doing linux on arm, it would be
cheaper/smaller/cooler than the $200+ each that a small x86 barebones
board costs, eg:
http://www.kontron.com/products/pdproductdetail.cfm?keyProduct=32658&kps=1689&kpc=237&keySiteRegion=1

but 300Mhz/IDE/VGA is overkill for this... I just want something that
could stream a2dp & do voip to a headset and act as an access point for
a bluetooth pda.

Brad

by Brad Midgley

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] arm boards for embedding bluez

Matthias,

Yes, this looks very interesting. Maybe hackable consumer devices are
the way to go instead of eval boards for small projects.

For asterisk+btsco, it even sounds like someone has gotten asterisk to
run on a box with similar specs (wrt54gs) but I wish there was a little
more wiggle room than just 32MB ram.

I had no luck trying to find anything suitable with included line-in to
do live a2dp streaming. A usb audio dongle could work with the slug I
guess :(

Brad

Matthias Thomae wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>
> how about this:
>
> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildABlueSlug
>
> Haven't tried it myself (yet), but looking forward to the nearing Beta
> release of OpenSlug to build a cheap and low-power bluetooth access
> point/NAS.
>
> Regards.
> Matthias
>
> Brad Midgley wrote:
>
>> Hey
>>
>> Does anyone have a feel for what is available now for doing embedded
>> bluez stuff with arm? I would like to put together something with a
>> class 1 adapter... it seems like there was talk of a board for
>> embedding that had class 1 built in but I can't find it in the
>> archives and googling reveals a bunch of designs that have probably
>> been abandoned.
>>
>> I am hoping that by doing linux on arm, it would be
>> cheaper/smaller/cooler than the $200+ each that a small x86 barebones
>> board costs, eg:
>> http://www.kontron.com/products/pdproductdetail.cfm?keyProduct=32658&kps=1689&kpc=237&keySiteRegion=1
>>

>> but 300Mhz/IDE/VGA is overkill for this... I just want something that
>> could stream a2dp & do voip to a headset and act as an access point
>> for a bluetooth pda.
>>
>> Brad

by Anderson Rodrigues

Hi Brad,

I posted in this list a little tutorial of how compiling and testing
Bluez over ARM 1510 platform. if you need more details feel free to
contact me directelly.

Regards,

On Apr 5, 2005 2:54 AM, Matthias Thomae <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>
> how about this:
>
> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildABlueSlug
>
> Haven't tried it myself (yet), but looking forward to the nearing Beta
> release of OpenSlug to build a cheap and low-power bluetooth access
> point/NAS.
>
> Regards.
> Matthias
>
> Brad Midgley wrote:
> > Hey
> >
> > Does anyone have a feel for what is available now for doing embedded
> > bluez stuff with arm? I would like to put together something with a
> > class 1 adapter... it seems like there was talk of a board for embedding
> > that had class 1 built in but I can't find it in the archives and
> > googling reveals a bunch of designs that have probably been abandoned.
> >
> > I am hoping that by doing linux on arm, it would be
> > cheaper/smaller/cooler than the $200+ each that a small x86 barebones
> > board costs, eg:
> > http://www.kontron.com/products/pdproductdetail.cfm?keyProduct=32658&kps=1689&kpc=237&keySiteRegion=1
> >

> > but 300Mhz/IDE/VGA is overkill for this... I just want something that
> > could stream a2dp & do voip to a headset and act as an access point for
> > a bluetooth pda.
> >
> > Brad

Anderson Clayton B. Rodrigues
Eng. de Software