2005-04-14 15:52:21

by Dimitry Andric

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Qualified :)

Thanks to Marcel and my employer:

http://qualweb.bluetooth.org/Template2.cfm?LinkQualified=QualifiedProducts&Details=Yes&ProductID=2379

Attachments:
(No filename) (183.00 B)

2005-04-14 16:57:04

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Qualified :)

Hi James,

> > The only option that I see to get this really clean is to create a
> > non-profit organization that takes care of such things. However I don't
> > really have time for this paperwork, but if someone wants to go this
> > way, I am in.
>
> Isn't that what the FSF is for?

I don't know. However I am open to everything as long as I don't have to
do stupid paperwork, because I am a programmer and not a manager.

Regards

Marcel

by James Courtier-Dutton

Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> The only option that I see to get this really clean is to create a
> non-profit organization that takes care of such things. However I don't
> really have time for this paperwork, but if someone wants to go this
> way, I am in.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

Isn't that what the FSF is for?

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Peter,

> hhmmm. First it is nice to here that BlueZ is qualified (even if this does
> not mean that it doesn't have bugs ;-). The question is if and how this
> qualification can be used for other qualifications as a pre-qualified
> component ??

trust me there are still bugs, but even the test system has bugs ;)

It is possible to use the BlueZ listing. Look at the Tom Tom GO300 for
an example.

> On one hand BlueZ itself is GPL software, and as such can be used by
> anybody as long as the GPL is respected. On the other hand the
> qualification and listing has been payed by a company and I was wondering
> if they could have any control if some other company references their
> listing in their own product listing. Or are they just generous and don't
> care ??

Tom Tom has no copyright on the BlueZ core code. Nothing has changed
with this listing. As far as I know you can always refer to other
listings and so Tom Tom can't control it. However the only reason that
it is not listed under my name is, that the Bluetooth SIG don't allows
qualifications by individual users. Only companies can qualify products.
A stupid thing from my point of view.

The only option that I see to get this really clean is to create a
non-profit organization that takes care of such things. However I don't
really have time for this paperwork, but if someone wants to go this
way, I am in.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Dimitry,

> Thanks to Marcel and my employer:
>
> http://qualweb.bluetooth.org/Template2.cfm?LinkQualified=QualifiedProducts&Details=Yes&ProductID=2379

lets spread the word ... BlueZ is qualified :)

However the funny thing is that your Tom Tom GO is Bluetooth 1.2
qualified and BlueZ only 1.1 even if they reuse the BlueZ listing.

Regards

Marcel

by Peter Wippich

Dear Dimitry, Dear All,

hhmmm. First it is nice to here that BlueZ is qualified (even if this does
not mean that it doesn't have bugs ;-). The question is if and how this
qualification can be used for other qualifications as a pre-qualified
component ??

On one hand BlueZ itself is GPL software, and as such can be used by
anybody as long as the GPL is respected. On the other hand the
qualification and listing has been payed by a company and I was wondering
if they could have any control if some other company references their
listing in their own product listing. Or are they just generous and don't
care ??

Just some thoughts... ,

Peter

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Dimitry Andric wrote:

> Thanks to Marcel and my employer:
>
> http://qualweb.bluetooth.org/Template2.cfm?LinkQualified=QualifiedProducts&Details=Yes&ProductID=2379

| Peter Wippich Voice: +49 30 46776411 |
| G&W Instruments GmbH fax: +49 30 46776419 |
| Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25, Geb. 12 Email: [email protected] |
| D-13355 Berlin / Germany |