2005-05-14 23:08:58

by Peter Robinson

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Bluetooth v2

Hi All,

Was having a bit of a look online for a BT2 dongle of some
description. Does anyone know of a bt2 dongle that works well with the
bluez stack that's readily available? Or aren't they really out yet?

Pete

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] RSSI from rfcomm

Hi Michael,

> I have upgraded to 2.6.11. Now getsockopt() works ok, but I can't call
> hci_read_rssi() without errors! It still says protocol not available.Is
> there another way to read the RSSI from RFCOMM?

the device descriptor for hci_read_rssi() comes from hci_open_dev().

Regards

Marcel

by michael

Marcel Holtmann wrote:

>Hi Michael,

>>>maybe your kernel is too old. I added that feature to RFCOMM very late.
>>>

>>What version do I need to use this feature??
>>
>>I'm using version 2.6.9-1.667
>>

>the first kernel would be 2.6.11 or 2.6.10-mh4.
>
>Regards
>
>Marcel

I have upgraded to 2.6.11. Now getsockopt() works ok, but I can't call
hci_read_rssi() without errors! It still says protocol not available.Is
there another way to read the RSSI from RFCOMM?

If anyone is interested in looking over my code - please let me know.

Any help is greatly appreciated..

Thank you

Marcel Holtmann wrote:

>Hi Michael,
>

>>Thanks for that. I think I have code that will work now. This is the
>>line that I pass to the hci_read_rssi() method:
>>hci_read_rssi(client_sock, htobs(rfconn.hci_handle), &rssi, 25000)
>>
>>My app doesn't have fancy error messages so I spent ages trying to work
>>out why it doesnt work, no luck, but rctest gives the error "Can't get
>>RFCOMM connection information: Protocol not available (92)"
>>
>>Do you know what can cause this error, or give me a head start on how to
>>track it down?
>>
>>Im using a complete install of fedora core 3
>>

>maybe your kernel is too old. I added that feature to RFCOMM very late.
>
>Regards
>
>Marcel

What version do I need to use this feature??

I'm using version 2.6.9-1.667

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Michael,

> Thanks for that. I think I have code that will work now. This is the
> line that I pass to the hci_read_rssi() method:
> hci_read_rssi(client_sock, htobs(rfconn.hci_handle), &rssi, 25000)
>
> My app doesn't have fancy error messages so I spent ages trying to work
> out why it doesnt work, no luck, but rctest gives the error "Can't get
> RFCOMM connection information: Protocol not available (92)"
>
> Do you know what can cause this error, or give me a head start on how to
> track it down?
>
> Im using a complete install of fedora core 3

maybe your kernel is too old. I added that feature to RFCOMM very late.

Regards

Marcel

by michael

Thanks for that. I think I have code that will work now. This is the
line that I pass to the hci_read_rssi() method:
hci_read_rssi(client_sock, htobs(rfconn.hci_handle), &rssi, 25000)

My app doesn't have fancy error messages so I spent ages trying to work
out why it doesnt work, no luck, but rctest gives the error "Can't get
RFCOMM connection information: Protocol not available (92)"

Do you know what can cause this error, or give me a head start on how to
track it down?

Im using a complete install of fedora core 3

Thank you
-michael

Subject: [Bluez-devel] RSSI from rfcomm

I'm using pretty standard sockets to create a bluetooth connection. I
can communicate fine with my J2ME app however I was wondering if it is
at all possible to read the RSSI from an RFCOMM layer connection. I can
read it fine if I make a lower level connection, but this is not at all
suited to my application..

So, how can I read the RSSI when I dont have access to all the data I
need to pass to the hci_read_rssi() method??

Thanks.

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Bluetooth v2

Hi Pete,

> > > Was having a bit of a look online for a BT2 dongle of some
> > > description. Does anyone know of a bt2 dongle that works well with the
> > > bluez stack that's readily available? Or aren't they really out yet?
> >
> > do you mean Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR? No dongle that I know of is available.
> > You can only order Dell or Apple notebooks with CSR BlueCore4 chips.
>
> Yes. I knew about the apple, although not of the Dell. I'm looking to
> get a bluetooth dongle and thought seeing as the 2 standard was out
> that I should probably get the latest and greatest but it seems its
> not quite there yet. Any idea when we should start seeing the newer
> ones and is it supported by bluez?

no one has announced an EDR dongle so far. And yes, it is fully
supported by BlueZ.

Regards

Marcel

by Peter Robinson