2005-12-07 13:03:23

by Artur Almeida

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Inquiry Time

Dear All

The Bt specification says that once you send a inquiry request, you should
get all the responses +-11 seconds. Many times i send an inquiry and it
lasts a lot more then that (Sometimes it goes over a minute). Can someone
explain how can i limit the inquiry time to the 11 sec window? Why does this
happens? Also, where can i find a detailed document with all the features
and parameters of the hciconfig?

Thank you

Regards

Artur

Attachments:
(No filename) (444.00 B)
(No filename) (606.00 B)

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Inquiry Time

Hi Artur,

> Thank you for your email, that clear my doubt. Now my question is,
> can i edit or have any sort of control over that parameter? Sometimes
> this inquirie lasts forever (Over a minute) and causes a functional
> problem in the application that im developing since i only receive the
> list of discovered macaddress=C2=B4s once the inquiry complete event
> arrives. At work where we have a lot of bluetooth devices from mobiles
> to headsets,laptops , keyboards ...etc ...the inquirie process can
> take more then 5 minutes and sometimes it doesnt finish, i have to
> cancel it manually.=20

from the HCI you can't have unlimited length for an inquiry. The default
value is 10 seconds and then after 10 seconds the inquiry complete event
will be send by the chip. If it lasts 5 minutes then something else is
wrong here. What about sending in a "hcidump -X -V -t" to prove what you
are observing.

Regards

Marcel

by Artur Almeida

Hello Steven

Thank you for your email, that clear my doubt. Now my question is, can i
edit or have any sort of control over that parameter? Sometimes this
inquirie lasts forever (Over a minute) and causes a functional problem in
the application that im developing since i only receive the list of
discovered macaddress?s once the inquiry complete event arrives. At work

On 12/8/05, Steven Singer <[email protected]> wrote:

> Artur Almeida wrote:
> > The Bt specification says that once you send a inquiry request, you
> should
> > get all the responses +-11 seconds. Many times i send an inquiry and it
> > lasts a lot more then that (Sometimes it goes over a minute). Can
> someone
> > explain how can i limit the inquiry time to the 11 sec window? Why does
> this
> > happens? Also, where can i find a detailed document with all the
> features
> > and parameters of the hciconfig?
>
> I think the way the spec phrases it is that you must inquire for at least
> 10.24 seconds to have a good probability of picking up all devices.
> However, it doesn't say that the inquiry process will stop after 10.24
> seconds. The host specifies how long it wants to inquire for in one of
> the parameters to HCI_Inquiry. If the host says to inquire for 30
> seconds (or whatever) then the chip quite happily will.
>
> hcidump -X -V should reveal the parameters to the HCI_Inquiry command.
> From there you should be able to work out how long the chip has been
> told to inquire for.
>
> - Steven
> --
>

> This message has been scanned for viruses by BlackSpider MailControl -
> http://www.blackspider.com

(No filename) (2.31 kB)
(No filename) (3.00 kB)

by Steven Singer

Artur Almeida wrote:
> The Bt specification says that once you send a inquiry request, you should
> get all the responses +-11 seconds. Many times i send an inquiry and it
> lasts a lot more then that (Sometimes it goes over a minute). Can someone
> explain how can i limit the inquiry time to the 11 sec window? Why does this
> happens? Also, where can i find a detailed document with all the features
> and parameters of the hciconfig?

I think the way the spec phrases it is that you must inquire for at least
10.24 seconds to have a good probability of picking up all devices.
However, it doesn't say that the inquiry process will stop after 10.24
seconds. The host specifies how long it wants to inquire for in one of
the parameters to HCI_Inquiry. If the host says to inquire for 30
seconds (or whatever) then the chip quite happily will.

hcidump -X -V should reveal the parameters to the HCI_Inquiry command.
>From there you should be able to work out how long the chip has been
told to inquire for.

- Steven
--

This message has been scanned for viruses by BlackSpider MailControl - http://www.blackspider.com

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Artur,

> I have 3 dongles attached to my pc, in attach the hciconfig -a output:

all of these devices are CSR chips with a decent firmware and I can't
explain why this happens. However you should keep SNIFF and HOLD as link
policy. Show us the output of "hcidump -X -V" for the problem.

Regards

Marcel

by Artur Almeida

Hello Marcel

I have 3 dongles attached to my pc, in attach the hciconfig -a output:

hci0: Type: USB

BD Address: 00:11:B1:08:A0:92 ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8

UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN INQUIRY

RX bytes:2128101 acl:39869 sco:0 events:152683 errors:0

TX bytes:1166603 acl:39621 sco:0 commands:44590 errors:0

Features: 0xff 0xff 0x8f 0xf8 0x18 0x18 0x00 0x80

Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3

Link policy: RSWITCH

Link mode: MASTER

Name: 'Mo #0'

Class: 0x500204

Service Classes:

Device Class: Phone, Cellular

HCI Ver: 1.2 (0x2) HCI Rev: 0x512 LMP Ver: 1.2 (0x2) LMP Subver:
0x512

Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

hci1: Type: USB

BD Address: 00:11:B1:08:A0:9E ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8

UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN

RX bytes:742522 acl:21877 sco:0 events:41391 errors:0

TX bytes:2353244 acl:31777 sco:0 commands:3103 errors:0

Features: 0xff 0xff 0x8f 0xf8 0x18 0x18 0x00 0x80

Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3

Link policy: RSWITCH

Link mode: MASTER

Name: 'Mo #1'

Class: 0x000100

Service Classes: Unspecified

Device Class: Computer, Uncategorized

HCI Ver: 1.2 (0x2) HCI Rev: 0x512 LMP Ver: 1.2 (0x2) LMP Subver:
0x512

Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

hci2: Type: USB

BD Address: 00:11:B1:08:A0:A0 ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8

UP RUNNING

RX bytes:160 acl:0 sco:0 events:19 errors:0

TX bytes:322 acl:0 sco:0 commands:16 errors:0

Features: 0xff 0xff 0x8f 0xf8 0x18 0x18 0x00 0x80

Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3

Link policy: RSWITCH

Link mode: MASTER

Name: 'Mo #2'

On 12/7/05, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Artur,
>
> > The Bt specification says that once you send a inquiry request, you
> > should get all the responses +-11 seconds. Many times i send an
> > inquiry and it lasts a lot more then that (Sometimes it goes over a
> > minute). Can someone explain how can i limit the inquiry time to the
> > 11 sec window? Why does this happens? Also, where can i find a
> > detailed document with all the features and parameters of the
> > hciconfig?
>
> what does "hciconfig -a" says? I never saw a problem like this.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

(No filename) (3.15 kB)
(No filename) (11.92 kB)