2006-05-04 12:28:04

by Charles Majola

Subject: [Bluez-devel] bluez-utils vs patches

Hi all,

After a lot of testing and user input is seems that applying the patches
from git://.. ../holtmann/bluetooth-2.6.git bluez-utils blocks the
functionality of HID devices. disabling bluez-utils get everything to
work fine. dunno how to report this as a bug as of yet.

please see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=142987 and

chmj

by David Woodhouse

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] bluez-utils vs patches

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 08:09 +0200, Charles Majola wrote:
> We can have a GUI or something to manage the device, so that by default
> we leave the device in HID mode and the user can manually change it to
> HCI and start a HID daemon.

Yes, that might work. You have to click the button in the GUI and then
stick both your bluetooth keyboard and mouse into 'discoverable' mode so
that they get picked up. It's a complete PITA though, and there _has_ to
be a better way. MacOS manages it better than this.

--
dwmw2

by Charles Majola

David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 14:28 +0200, Charles Majola wrote:
>
>> After a lot of testing and user input is seems that applying the
>> patches from git://.. ../holtmann/bluetooth-2.6.git bluez-utils blocks
>> the functionality of HID devices. disabling bluez-utils get everything
>> to work fine. dunno how to report this as a bug as of yet.
>>

> The problem seems to be just that we switch the Bluetooth device from
> HID mode, where it automatically connects with the remote keyboard and
> mouse, to HCI mode, where it expects _us_ to do that. And we don't
> actually manage to reconnect to the existing keyboard and mouse.
>
> Bluetooth HID devices _do_ work, to a certain extent, but not without
> manually repairing the devices, I believe. We don't have it working
> transparently, because I don't think we know how.

We can have a GUI or something to manage the device, so that by default
we leave the device in HID mode and the user can manually change it to
HCI and start a HID daemon.

> I suspect there must be a way to query a device in HID mode and find out
> which remote HID devices it's connected to -- then we can immediately
> try to reconnect to those devices after we switch to HCI mode. Or
> there's something else we're missing.

I suppose we can do that.

--
chmj