2006-05-17 16:44:53

by Renaud Malaval

Subject: RE: [Bluez-devel] Dbus and RemoteDeviceFound API

Hello, marcel=20

> Hi Renaud,
>=20
> > I just discover that new API, and I have a remark.
> >=20
> > Is it to possible to add to that message the class of device (as an
> > uint32) ?
> > With this we can have complete information about discovered device=20
> > even if major or minor are not in "constant definition" of dbus API.
> > This can also simplify programation in C (ie: filtering, displaying
> > icons,...)
>=20
> we did it this way on purpose. If definitions are missing,=20
> then this is a bug and needs to be fixed. What types are you missing?
>=20
> Another basic design idea behind the D-Bus API for BlueZ is=20
> not to use weird integer constants at all. We have clear text=20
> attributes which make it very easy to use them from scripting=20
> languages like Python. However this makes it harder for=20
> application written in C, but we accepted this disadvantage.
>=20
> Regards
>=20
> Marcel
>=20

The LIMITED_DISCOVERABLE_MODE service class is missing and minor
classes for other major classes than Computer and Phone are not listed
in "constant definition" (ie: uncategorized, keyboard, pointing, combo
for Peripheral major class).
I use the "class of device" to filter and/or display specific icon for
all couple of major and minor in an embedded device.
Perhaps a new set of APIs could be better ?

Renaud

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Frederic,

> I am trying to implement other values for minor classes :
>
> Minor classes access point
> fully, 1-17 percent, 17-33 percent, 33-50 percent, 50-67 percent,
> 67-83 percent, 83-99 percent, not available
>
> Minor classes audio video
> uncategorized, headset, handsfree, reserved1, microphone, loudspeaker,
> headphones, portable audio, car audio, set-top box, hifi audio, vcr,
> video camera, camcorder, video monitor, video display and loudspeaker,
> video conferencing, reserved2, gaming/toy
>
> Minor classes imaging
> display, camera, scanner, printer
>
> Minor classes wearable
> wrist watch, pager, jacket, helmet, glasses
>
> Minor classes toy
> robot, vehicle, doll, controller, game
>
> But I have a problem with peripheral class as its minor classes are divided in two parts :
>
> Minor classes peripheral
> uncategorized, keyboard, pointing, combo
>
> Minor classes peripheral 2
> uncategorized, joystick, gamepad, remote control, sensing,
> digitizer tablet, card reader
>
> A peripheral can set two minor classes (i.e. pointing and digitizer tablet) but GetRemoteMinorClass call can only return one string.
> Do you have an idea how this should be implemented to address this ?

So far, I would only return the first ones and simply ignore the others.
Basically you only wanna know if the remote device is a keyboard or
mouse or if it supports both.

> Are you OK with this list of constants ?

Looks good so far, except don't use reserved*. Simply call it unknown or
return an error.

However I leave this open for discussion, but at the end of the day we
need a complete list in the dbus-api.txt document.

Regards

Marcel

by Frederic Danis

Hello

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Renaud,
>

>> The LIMITED_DISCOVERABLE_MODE service class is missing and minor
>>classes for other major classes than Computer and Phone are not listed
>>in "constant definition" (ie: uncategorized, keyboard, pointing, combo
>>for Peripheral major class).
>> I use the "class of device" to filter and/or display specific icon for
>>all couple of major and minor in an embedded device.
>

> we happily accept patches for fixing this. I must admit that in the
> beginning we needed to concentrate on other things and I told people not
> to focus on this. We will fix it later.
>
> Are you really using LIMITED_DISCOVERABLE_MODE service class.

I am trying to implement other values for minor classes :

Minor classes access point
fully, 1-17 percent, 17-33 percent, 33-50 percent, 50-67 percent,
67-83 percent, 83-99 percent, not available

Minor classes audio video
uncategorized, headset, handsfree, reserved1, microphone, loudspeaker,
headphones, portable audio, car audio, set-top box, hifi audio, vcr,
video camera, camcorder, video monitor, video display and loudspeaker,
video conferencing, reserved2, gaming/toy

Minor classes imaging
display, camera, scanner, printer

Minor classes wearable
wrist watch, pager, jacket, helmet, glasses

Minor classes toy
robot, vehicle, doll, controller, game

But I have a problem with peripheral class as its minor classes are divided in two parts :

Minor classes peripheral
uncategorized, keyboard, pointing, combo

Minor classes peripheral 2
uncategorized, joystick, gamepad, remote control, sensing,
digitizer tablet, card reader

A peripheral can set two minor classes (i.e. pointing and digitizer tablet) but GetRemoteMinorClass call can only return one string.
Do you have an idea how this should be implemented to address this ?
Are you OK with this list of constants ?

>> Perhaps a new set of APIs could be better ?
>

> Why? And what advantages would you gain?
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

Regards

Fred

It is not by improving the oil lamp that one invents the electric bulb!

by Özkan Gümüs

Subject: [Bluez-devel] how to measure RSSI with C

hi all , i am trying to measure RSSI for a discovered device. Any idea will
be very useful , i am trying to understand from source code of hcitool.c or
hci.c but it's not documented . If someone has a code i will be very
grateful.
thanks ,

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Renaud,