2007-01-04 14:36:38

by Siegbert Baude

Subject: [Bluez-devel] SBC codec, joint stereo mode

Hi,

I have a question with regard to joint stereo mode in SBC. According to
the A2DP spec. p. 53, sec. 12.4 "Syntax" in the frame_header there is
one bit RFA after the join[sb] bits. In the example implementations of
the SBC codec I got (one from TI, one from iAnywhere AV SDK, one from
the ALSA-Bluetooth project), this bit is however never accounted for.
Also in the sbc_test_14.sbc example you can download from bluetooth.org,
I find at offset 04FB the beginning of the frame as 9C7F797BBC87, where
the first bit of "87" should be this RFA bit (as this example uses 8
subbands). P. 11, sec. 1.3.2.1 "RFA" however says, RFA bits should be
set to zero, which is not the case for "87".

So is this RFA bit actually used or not?

Ciao
Siegbert

by Brad Midgley

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] SBC codec, joint stereo mode

Siegbert

> Yep, now it makes sense.
> BTW, is this the right list to ask SBC-specific questions? I have some
> more general questions, e.g. I don't quite understand the rationale
> behind the codec definition: If you choose joint mode for encoding, it
> happens that the encoder does not use joint mode for all subbands. But
> why? Saving bits? If anybody has a pointer to some documentation for
> SBC, which explains the design decisions I would be really happy.

yes this is the right place.

I haven't worked on it in a while so your question doesn't ring a
bell... I do need to get back into it to re-roll the encoder and
eliminate the inner loop memory move.

Brad

by Siegbert Baude

Hi Fr=E9d=E9ric,

Fr=E9d=E9ric DALLEAU schrieb:
> page 53 says join[sb] is nrof_subbands-1 bits wide =3D> wich is 7 bits.

Oh, my blindness. Thanks a *lot* for the hint, maybe I didn't read it =

carefully enough, because the decoding code sample I looked first at, =

was evaluating nrof_subbands instead of nrof_subbands-1.

> The 8th bit is the RFA which is 0.
> 0xBC =3D 10111100, The first 7 bits are the join table, the last bit is =

> the rfa.
> Then 87 is already the scale factors.

Yep, now it makes sense.
BTW, is this the right list to ask SBC-specific questions? I have some =

more general questions, e.g. I don't quite understand the rationale =

behind the codec definition: If you choose joint mode for encoding, it =

happens that the encoder does not use joint mode for all subbands. But =

why? Saving bits? If anybody has a pointer to some documentation for =

SBC, which explains the design decisions I would be really happy.

Ciao
Siegbert

by Frédéric DALLEAU

Hi,

page 53 says join[sb] is nrof_subbands-1 bits wide =3D> wich is 7 bits. =

The 8th bit is the RFA which is 0.
0xBC =3D 10111100, The first 7 bits are the join table, the last bit is =

the rfa.
Then 87 is already the scale factors.

Frederic

Siegbert Baude a =E9crit :
> Hi,
>
> I have a question with regard to joint stereo mode in SBC. According to
> the A2DP spec. p. 53, sec. 12.4 "Syntax" in the frame_header there is
> one bit RFA after the join[sb] bits. In the example implementations of
> the SBC codec I got (one from TI, one from iAnywhere AV SDK, one from
> the ALSA-Bluetooth project), this bit is however never accounted for.
> Also in the sbc_test_14.sbc example you can download from bluetooth.org,
> I find at offset 04FB the beginning of the frame as 9C7F797BBC87, where
> the first bit of "87" should be this RFA bit (as this example uses 8
> subbands). P. 11, sec. 1.3.2.1 "RFA" however says, RFA bits should be
> set to zero, which is not the case for "87".
>
> So is this RFA bit actually used or not?
>
> Ciao
> Siegbert

> =

-- =

Frederic

Without the wind, the grass does not move.