2007-02-16 00:31:59

by Frank de Lange

Subject: [Bluez-devel] sdpd in polling loop on disconnect

Is there anyone else here who has seen sdpd run away in a tight poll()
loop when a connected device drops the connection? I can more or less
reliably get sdpd go mad poll()ing and hogging the CPU by walking out of
range, turning off Bluetooth on the (ngage) phone, sending crap to the
serial port service on the phone, etc.

An almost surefire way to get this behaviour to occur goes as follows:

(assumption: paired phone, serial port bound to /dev/rfcomm3)

cat /dev/rfcomm3 (phone wakes up and wants OK)
echo blah > /dev/rfcomm3 (ditto)
usually sdpd will now start eating the CPU. Attaching gdb does not show
much more than that it is looping in g_main_loop_run:

Program received signal SIGUSR2, User defined signal 2.
0x00e1a402 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
(gdb) bt
#0 0x00e1a402 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#1 0x008c2cfb in poll () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2 0x0046b453 in ?? () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#3 0x0046b7c9 in g_main_loop_run () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#4 0x80001800 in main (argc=1, argv=Cannot access memory at address 0x7
) at main.c:147

It loops in g_main_context_check(), repeatedly calling
g_io_channel_get_buffer_condition() as if it still believes there is
some data left to be read. I will look further into this but I'd like to
hear whether I'm the only one with these problems...

I'm using fedora core development by the way...

Cheers//Frank

by Frank de Lange

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] sdpd in polling loop on disconnect

Frank de Lange wrote:
> Marcel Holtmann wrote:
>>> Attached: patch for sdpd (adds G_IO_HUP|G_IO_ERR to watched conditions
>>> on g_io_channels)
>> thanks for the patch, but that should be already fixed in the CVS. Johan
>> found this during the UPF testing last week.
>
> Even better. Did he also check the other watchers for similar problems?
> As said there are several of them which only look for G_IO_IN events.
>
> Cheers//Frank

Replying to my own message here... I checked current CVS for the above
and found a few remaining occurrences of listening watchers which don't
care for HUP:

utils/daemon/echo.c:176
utils/hcid/main.c:782
utils/input/server.c:233
utils/test/hciemu.c:1331
utils/transfer/server.c:108

Are these accounted for as being 'safe'?

Cheers//Frank

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Frank,

> >> Attached: patch for sdpd (adds G_IO_HUP|G_IO_ERR to watched conditions
> >> on g_io_channels)
> >
> > thanks for the patch, but that should be already fixed in the CVS. Johan
> > found this during the UPF testing last week.
>
> Even better. Did he also check the other watchers for similar problems?
> As said there are several of them which only look for G_IO_IN events.

feel free to double-check the CVS. However they should all be fixed now.

Regards

Marcel

by Johan Hedberg

Hi Frank,

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007, Frank de Lange wrote:
> Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> >> Attached: patch for sdpd (adds G_IO_HUP|G_IO_ERR to watched conditions
> >> on g_io_channels)
> >
> > thanks for the patch, but that should be already fixed in the CVS. Johan
> > found this during the UPF testing last week.
>
> Even better. Did he also check the other watchers for similar problems?
> As said there are several of them which only look for G_IO_IN events.

I tried to check all places that used g_io_add_watch so hopefully there
shouldn't be any issues left. Feel free to check the CVS though as it's
not impossible that I've missed some place.

Johan

by Frank de Lange

--
## o o\ / Frank de Lange \