2007-04-27 01:28:50

by Chris Carlin

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Plugz, a2dpd, and a2dpd2 strangeness

With the amount of experimentation I've done in the past couple of days
it's hard to figure out what information is relevant. I'll try to boil
it down:

I couldn't get btsco to work, though a2play did.

With pcm_a2dpd I get occasional (~one every two minutes) chirps out of
the headphones, mainly when interrupting ogg123 (aplay, whatever).
hcidump -X -V shows no traffic except briefly when those chirps occur.
Sound is fine through the alsa redirect.

With pcm_a2dpd2 I have jumpy, very sped up sound from the headphones and
plenty of traffic through hcidump. Alsa redirect sounds about the same
as the headphones, but the daemon gives the following errors:

A2DPD[21:11:15.563]: alsa_transfer_raw: (errno=32:Broken pipe)EPIPE(-32)
A2DPD[21:11:15.983]: append_to_ring_buffer: Ring buffer is full
A2DPD[21:11:15.983]: append_to_ring_buffer: Ring buffer is full
A2DPD[21:11:15.986]: append_to_ring_buffer: Ring buffer is full

and on, filling the screen with the full buffer messages.

I suppose that basically describes the situation. The rest is
background. I'm willing to do whatever I can to help, but as my C is
rusty I figure it's time to ask the devs.

~Chris

Background:
I followed the build instructions and troubleshooting for Plugz at
bluetooth-alsa.sf.net. Everything went without a hitch as far as I can see.

I have a pair of Creative CB2530 headphones. I've tried them with four
different bluetooth dongles including both Broadcom and CSR (currently a
DLink DBT-120). There were no differences between dongles. Connecting is
never problematic at all.

This is Gentoo with Bluez 3.9 and kernel 2.6.20 with the sco patches.

carlin1 ~ # hciconfig -a
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:17:9A:2B:73:53 ACL MTU: 384:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
UP RUNNING PSCAN
RX bytes:989913 acl:63621 sco:0 events:13344 errors:0
TX bytes:7630626 acl:24367 sco:0 commands:67 errors:0
Features: 0xff 0xff 0x8f 0xfe 0x9b 0xf9 0x00 0x80
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
Name: 'BlueZ (0)'
Class: 0x3e0100
Service Classes: Networking, Rendering, Capturing, Object
Transfer, Audio
Device Class: Computer, Uncategorized
HCI Ver: 2.0 (0x3) HCI Rev: 0x77b LMP Ver: 2.0 (0x3) LMP
Subver: 0x77b
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

carlin1 ~ # hcitool info 00:0D:E8:01:BB:A3
Requesting information ...
BD Address: 00:0D:E8:01:BB:A3
Device Name: CB2530
LMP Version: 1.2 (0x2) LMP Subversion: 0x3d
Manufacturer: Zeevo, Inc. (18)
Features: 0xff 0xff 0x05 0x78 0x18 0x18 0x00 0x80
<3-slot packets> <5-slot packets> <encryption> <slot
offset>
<park state> <RSSI> <channel quality> <SCO link> <HV2
packets>
<HV3 packets> <u-law log> <A-law log> <CVSD> <power
control>
<inquiry with RSSI> <AFH cap. slave> <AFH class. slave>
<AFH cap. master> <AFH class. master> <extended features>

by Chris Carlin

Brad Midgley wrote:
>> With pcm_a2dpd2 I have jumpy, very sped up sound from the headphones and
>> plenty of traffic through hcidump. Alsa redirect sounds about the same
>> as the headphones, but the daemon gives the following errors:
>
> I'm not following you here. What's the difference between using
> pcm_a2dpd2 and the "alsa redirect"? I didn't catch what "same as the
> headphones" was referring to either.

In retrospect I think I wasn't clear about pcm_a2dpd and pcm_a2dpd2. By
those I meant the alsa plugins (libasound_module_pcm_a2dpd[2].so) as
opposed to the similarly named daemon and NOT a definition in my .asoundrc.

The "alsa redirect" meant setting enableredirectalsa=1 in .a2dprc. I
gather that this causes the a2dpd system to spit sound back out through
alsa to speakers instead of through a bluetooth connection.

To restate more clearly (maybe) I'll give you a chart:

a2dpd plugin ("type a2dpd" in .asoundrc):
bluetooth headphones (enableredirect=0 in .a2dprc):
occasional chirps
almost no traffic through hcidump
flags=1 only gives info upon occurrance of chirps
normal computer speakers (enableredirect=1):
music sounds fine
a2dpd2 plugin ("type a2dpd2"):
bluetooth headphones (enableredirect=0):
garbled, sped up sound
plenty of hcidump traffic
flags=1 reports once a second or so
normal computer speakers (enableredirect=1):
garbled, sped up sound
ring buffer full messages spew forth

An interesting thing to me is that enableredirect, if it does what I
think it does, seems to show a non-bluetooth problem...

~Chris

by Brad Midgley

Chris

> With pcm_a2dpd2 I have jumpy, very sped up sound from the headphones and
> plenty of traffic through hcidump. Alsa redirect sounds about the same
> as the headphones, but the daemon gives the following errors:

I'm not following you here. What's the difference between using
pcm_a2dpd2 and the "alsa redirect"? I didn't catch what "same as the
headphones" was referring to either.

Brad