2007-05-10 19:21:22

by Brad Midgley

Subject: [Bluez-devel] combining libalsa & dbus

Fabien,

I hope you're having a nice break from your hobby stuff. Can I ask you
to think about it a little bit to work through something? You've worked
with the alsa plugin api well enough to maybe help with a problem...

Marcel wants a reworked alsa plugin to go into bluez utils, but it needs
to be a proper dbus client. That would mean the dbus calls would have to
be self-contained right in the alsa plugin. Do you think we could pull
that off? I'm worried that the nature of the calls into the plugin would
make it impossible to have it also listening to dbus.

On top of everything else, Marcel prefers multiprogramming to be done
via select(), nonblocking calls, etc and not threads.

Any ideas?

Brad

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] combining libalsa & dbus

Hi Brad,

> I hope you're having a nice break from your hobby stuff. Can I ask you
> to think about it a little bit to work through something? You've worked
> with the alsa plugin api well enough to maybe help with a problem...
>
> Marcel wants a reworked alsa plugin to go into bluez utils, but it needs
> to be a proper dbus client. That would mean the dbus calls would have to
> be self-contained right in the alsa plugin. Do you think we could pull
> that off? I'm worried that the nature of the calls into the plugin would
> make it impossible to have it also listening to dbus.

actually I was not planning on using D-Bus to handle the communication
of the plugin with the actual Bluetooth audio server. We will have a
small and lightweight proprietary protocol for that. It is a special
case and since we have to use native Unix socket specific calls anyway
to send the socket descriptors it makes sense.

On the other hand, I don't see how you can integrate the D-Bus mainloop
nicely into an ALSA plugin.

Regards

Marcel