2007-08-06 15:02:00

by Pierre-Yves Paulus

Subject: [Bluez-devel] What does error 110 actually mean? What is it caused by?

Hello,

I keep getting this error in hcid output now and then, and for various
calls:

(hcid stderr) hcid[32196]: connect(): Connection timed out (110)

From my limited understanding, this error happens when a hci call to
the dongle times out. Is it right?

I observed that on some computers, this error happens very often when
kernel module ehci_hcd is loaded. It is generally coming up less often
when it is not loaded.

Also, I failed to find any way to have any influence on those errors. I
start getting them suddenly, and also suddenly, I stop getting them. I
can have none for hours, and then suddenly lots of them for 5 minutes,
and afterwards everything works properly again. I can also get one or
two every few minutes. Really, I can't find a pattern for their appearence.

So what's happening there? Any feedback on this issue would be really
appreciated.

Best Reagrds,
Pierre-Yves

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Pierre-Yves,

> I keep getting this error in hcid output now and then, and for various
> calls:
>
> (hcid stderr) hcid[32196]: connect(): Connection timed out (110)
>
> From my limited understanding, this error happens when a hci call to
> the dongle times out. Is it right?
>
> I observed that on some computers, this error happens very often when
> kernel module ehci_hcd is loaded. It is generally coming up less often
> when it is not loaded.
>
> Also, I failed to find any way to have any influence on those errors. I
> start getting them suddenly, and also suddenly, I stop getting them. I
> can have none for hours, and then suddenly lots of them for 5 minutes,
> and afterwards everything works properly again. I can also get one or
> two every few minutes. Really, I can't find a pattern for their appearence.
>
> So what's happening there? Any feedback on this issue would be really
> appreciated.

no idea. Are you running a 2.6.22 kernel and bluez-utils-3.14? If not,
please re-test and try to figure out which part of the code is causing
them. Look through the code for "connect()".

Regards

Marcel