2007-11-23 02:22:46

by thHog

Subject: [Bluez-devel] python / dbus issue

Hi,

I tried my first python script for accessing bluez through dbus. The bluez
setup is complete and I can scan and connect bluetooth devices using hcitool
and rfcomm tools. The dbus setup is working as well, the "dbus-monitor
--system" shows bluez messages when starting bluez.

But, I tried to run the following python script (and several other examples
from the internet):

import dbus
bus = dbus.SystemBus();
obj = bus.get_object('org.bluez', '/org/bluez')
manager = dbus.Interface(obj, 'org.bluez.Manager')
print manager.ListAdapters()

The output from this script is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./mydbus.py", line 27, in ?
print manager.ListAdapters()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 85, in
__call__
return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 169, in
__call__
reply_message =
self._connection.send_message_with_reply_and_block(message, timeout)
dbus.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method
"ListAdapters" with signature "" on interface "org.bluez.Manager" doesn't
exist

On starting /etc/init.d/bluetooth, dbus-monitor --system shows:

$ dbus-monitor --system
signal sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> dest=:1.5 path=/org/freedesktop/DBus;
interface=org.freedesktop.DBus; member=NameAcquired
string ":1.5"
signal sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> dest=(null destination)
path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus;
member=NameOwnerChanged
string ":1.6"
string ""
string ":1.6"
signal sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> dest=(null destination)
path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus;
member=NameOwnerChanged
string "org.bluez"
string ""
string ":1.6"
signal sender=:1.6 -> dest=(null destination) path=/org/bluez/Manager;
interface=org.bluez.Manager; member=DeviceAdded
string "/org/bluez/Device/hci0"
signal sender=:1.6 -> dest=(null destination) path=/org/bluez/Device/hci0;
interface=org.bluez.Device; member=Up
signal sender=:1.6 -> dest=(null destination) path=/org/bluez/Device/hci0;
interface=org.bluez.Device; member=PropertyChanged
string "name"
string ""

What is wrong here?

Thanks,
--theHog

by Manuel Naranjo

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] python / dbus issue

Hi,
> I tried my first python script for accessing bluez through dbus. The bluez
> setup is complete and I can scan and connect bluetooth devices using hcitool
> and rfcomm tools. The dbus setup is working as well, the "dbus-monitor
> --system" shows bluez messages when starting bluez.

I think it wasn't well installed.
> But, I tried to run the following python script (and several other examples
> from the internet):

I checked your script and it works for me. Make sure you have the latest
version, and that's installed as it's supposed to be.

If you don't want to mess up with scripts you can check with: dbus-send
--system --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=org.bluez /org/bluez
org.bluez.Manager.ListAdapters

> self._connection.send_message_with_reply_and_block(message, timeout)
> dbus.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method
> "ListAdapters" with signature "" on interface "org.bluez.Manager" doesn't
> exist

How strange you are missing the method ListAdapters which actually exists.

> On starting /etc/init.d/bluetooth, dbus-monitor --system shows:
>
> $ dbus-monitor --system
> signal sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> dest=:1.5 path=/org/freedesktop/DBus;

What does it show when running the script?

> What is wrong here?

Maybe you missed something when passing the arguments to configure and
built.

Cheers,
Manuel