2005-12-19 12:27:30

by stefan

Subject: [Bluez-devel] (no subject)

hello

I have a problem getting my a2dp connection onto my headset to work on my linux
machine.
But the sco connection works (I didn't test the mic sofar).

I searched the internet for a hint how to solve this matter, but didn't find
anything.
So I think this is the appropriate spot to post my problem.

Sorry if I'm wrong.

I'm running Debian Sarge with a newly compiled kernel 2.6.14.3.
I got the whole bluetooth subsystem (except debugging I think) coded into the
kernel,
along with the ALSA system.
Following packages are installed:

bluez-utils 2.15-1.1
alsa-base 1.0.8-7
alsa-utils 1.0.8-4

The bluetooth-alsa version is the 0.4 from the cvs. It compiled without any
error,
along with the kernel snd-bt-sco module.

To test the sco connection I did the following:

-load snd-bt-sco
-pair headset with computer ('hcitool cc <btaddr>' with auth and encrypt enabled
in
hcid.conf, as I think a2dp requires both)
-'btsco <btaddr>'
-play audio using xmms with appropriate alsa-device

After aborting btsco, but leaving the headset still paired I tryed to play audio
via
the command provided on the official bluetooth-alsa site:

>debian:/usr/src/btsco-0.4# hcitool con
>Connections:
> < ACL 00:13:1B:00:50:32 handle 46 state 1 lm SLAVE AUTH ENCRYPT
>debian:/usr/src/btsco-0.4# mpg123 --au - smooth.mp3 | ./a2play
00:13:1B:00:50:32
>High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layer 1, 2 and 3.
>Version 0.59r (1999/Jun/15). Written and copyrights by Michael Hipp.
...(I Cut out part of the mpg123 output)
>Playing MPEG stream from smooth.mp3 ...
>Junk at the beginning 49443303
>MPEG 1.0 layer III, 192 kbit/s, 44100 Hz joint-stereo
>out of sync (0x2e)
>couldn't read header on -

At next I tryed the seccond command provided on the site:

>debian:/usr/src/btsco-0.4# mpg123 --au - smooth.mp3 | sbc/sbcenc |
./sbc/rcplay 00:13:1B:00:50:32
>High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layer 1, 2 and 3.
>Playing MPEG stream from smooth.mp3 ...
>Junk at the beginning 49443303
>MPEG 1.0 layer III, 192 kbit/s, 44100 Hz joint-stereo
>Can't get channel number: Success

I'm focussing on the "out of sync" error message now.
The usage of a2play tells me that I'm able to define the input file directly.
So I did:

>mpg123 --au - smooth.mp3 > smooth.au
Now I got the song in sun audio format.

I tried the following next:

>debian:/usr/src/btsco-0.4# ./a2play 00:13:1B:00:50:32 smooth.au
>out of sync (0x2e)
>couldn't read header on smooth.au

Next up was a different audio format, and hey, the errorcode changed:

>debian:/usr/src/btsco-0.4# ./a2play 00:13:1B:00:50:32 smooth.mp3
>out of sync (0x49)
>couldn't read header on smooth.mp3

So there must be something wrong with the audioformat, I guess.
I seriously don't know which one works or should work.

The headset istself is called "Cyber Headphone".
At least it shows up that way when i do 'hcitool scan'
The headset itself works fine with the a2dp connection running winXP and a
Toshiba stack.

Thanks for the help.

Stefan Rabas

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] (no subject)

Hi Lan,

don't forget a subject !!!

> Could you guys add BPP ReferencePrinting service into the sdptools and
> checked in? I don't know how many perple will benefit from this, at
> least it will not hurt. And I think more people will use it later.
>
> and if you checked in, could you let me know the CVS version number?

please provide a patch against the latest CVS and take care of following
the coding style.

Regards

Marcel

by Fabrizio Guglielmino

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Scan and push images

Manuel Naranjo ha scritto:
> Fabrizio,
>
>> I'd like to accept Your suggests but:
>> - If I use periodic inquiry I need obligatory dbus to receive callback
>> events?
>> - How can I perform pre-filter on remote devices that support object
>> transfer if I've not discovered their servies?
>>

> Check this project: http://code.google.com/p/proximitymarketing/ the
> idea was to make an open source proximity marketing solution. Check in
> the svn there's a proximity scanner (it uses dbus to scan for devices,
> and does name resolving under requests, you need to change the functions
> callbacks). It uses dbus bindings, and it's written in C.
>
> I will make the official announcement for the project as soon as I
> finish with my examns.
>
> Cheers,
> Manuel

Many thanks...really useful.
Fabrizio

by Manuel Naranjo

Marcel Holtmann ha scritto:
> Hi Fabrizio,
>

>>> as long as you only have one adapter attached to your system, you have
>>> attempts to run inquiry and paging at the same time. This is not working
>>> out. You can only do one thing at a time.
>>>

>> Yes but I'm using two adapters so It's not a problem...
>>

> important information that you failed to mention. Two threads doesn't
> automatically mean two adatpers.

In first mail I wrote : "...I've used two bluetooth dongles ...".
>> Yes I'known but the class isn't sufficient to known if remote device
>> has
>> an obex push service, sure can I remove all classes
>> that certainly did not have this service but it's a form of
>> optimization rather than a solution to the problem.
>>

> Actually all device supporting OBEX Push should set the object transfer
> service class. So you have to see if you also wanna support broken
> devices or if profile compliant devices are enough.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

This is an important information I didn't known many thanks.

by Marcel Holtmann

Marcel Holtmann ha scritto:
> Hi Fabrizio,
>

>> Ok for the subject, excuse me.
>>

> and please inline response. Otherwise it is hard to follow.
>

>> I can't undertand "You are simply blocking the baseband with your random
>> attempts", where are the random attemps?
>> One thread is dedicated to make inquiry, it bind on a specific local
>> adapter and make an infinite loop of inquiry (with a parametric sleep on
>> every iteration).
>>
>> On the other side for every device discovered it's lauched a thread for
>> these operations:
>> 1) sdp query for OPUSH service (serialized with a mutex)
>> 2) connection to eventually discovered RFCOMM channel of the object push
>> service
>> 3) push of the content (with my own working obex implementation)
>>

> as long as you only have one adapter attached to your system, you have
> attempts to run inquiry and paging at the same time. This is not working
> out. You can only do one thing at a time.

Yes but I'm using two adapters so It's not a problem...

>> I'd like to accept Your suggests but:
>> - If I use periodic inquiry I need obligatory dbus to receive callback
>> events?
>>

> You can do it by hand on a raw socket, but why would you? D-Bus gives it
> to you nicely.

Ok, I've to look about using dbus in plain C because I don't want to use
Glib.

jm ha scritto:
> Hi Fabrizio,
>
> I think connection attempts (pscan procedure) are serialized by the dongl=
e, =

> so maybe you should do the sdp queries sequentially and create the thread
> when the connection is ready. You can also try to reduce the page timeout =

> with "hciconfig pageto" to discard soon devices not in range at connection
> time.
>
> Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Jos=E9 Miguel
>

> =

>> Hi all,
>> I made a simple software to send small pictures to all bluetooth =

>> devices in range (it's used by a museum ).
>> This software is made in C using bluez api, I've used two bluetooth =

>> dongles : one to make periodic inquiry (not with HCI periodic inquiry =

>> command by with a loop) and the other to make sdp query looking for =

>> obex push service and sending image.
>> My requirement was to use this software in some embedded linux based =

>> computer so I chose to limit external library, I made all using =

>> pthread so there is an infinite thread for inquiries and one thread =

>> to handle every sdp query and relative connection when devices are =

>> discovered. I've discarded also using python or other scripting =

>> languages for the platfom limitations.
>>
>> All works but I found it not so efficient, also with 6/7 devices it's =

>> really slow to identify and connect to devices, some times connection =

>> are unexpectedly closed and so on....
>>
>> Is it my approch to the problem wrong or bluetooth protocol is not =

>> suitable for this type of use?
>>
>> I'm using libs version 3.7-1 (on debian 4.0)
>>
>> Many thanks
>> Fabrizio
>> =

>> =

>> =

> =

Thanks for suggestions, as You can read in my response to Marcel sdp =

query are already serialized but I find useful the use
of "pageto" to discard devices out of range. I'm also avaluating using =

inquiry with RSSI for this.

Thanks
Fabrizio

by Fabrizio Guglielmino

Marcel Holtmann ha scritto:
> Hi Fabrizio,
>
> if you wanna get any real attention on this mailing list, you better
> fill in a subject. I tend to quickly delete messages without a subject.
>

>> I made a simple software to send small pictures to all bluetooth
>> devices in range (it's used by a museum ).
>> This software is made in C using bluez api, I've used two bluetooth
>> dongles : one to make periodic inquiry (not with HCI periodic inquiry
>> command by with a loop) and the other to make sdp query looking for
>> obex push service and sending image.
>> My requirement was to use this software in some embedded linux based
>> computer so I chose to limit external library, I made all using
>> pthread so there is an infinite thread for inquiries and one thread
>> to handle every sdp query and relative connection when devices are
>> discovered. I've discarded also using python or other scripting
>> languages for the platfom limitations.
>>
>> All works but I found it not so efficient, also with 6/7 devices it's
>> really slow to identify and connect to devices, some times connection
>> are unexpectedly closed and so on....
>>

> A lot of people tried to make this work and there are ways to make it
> work as efficient as possible. However you need an understanding on how
> the Bluetooth radio and baseband are working and what the limits are.
> For example using one or two threads doesn't give anything useful. This
> is the wrong approach to start with. No excuses. You are simply blocking
> the baseband with your random attempts. It is also better to use
> periodic inquiry or explicitly cancel an inquiry when you wanna page the
> remote device for a SDP query. It also makes sense to use the class of
> device to a pre-filter on remote devices that actually support object
> transfer.
>
> Run a "hcidump -X -V" during your scans and connect attempts and you see
> the errors that will present themself when you try to page during an
> inquiry. The kernel taIs it my approch to the problem wrong or bluetooth protocol is not
> suitable for this type of use?
>

> Do you have any choice when it comes to communicate with mobile phones?
>

>> I'm using libs version 3.7-1 (on debian 4.0)
>>

> The latest version is 3.22 :)
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

Ok for the subject, excuse me.

[...]

About library version I known I'm a little outdated ;-) but I'm
preparing a new working environment with latest version.

Many thanks
Fabrizio

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Fabrizio,

if you wanna get any real attention on this mailing list, you better
fill in a subject. I tend to quickly delete messages without a subject.

> I made a simple software to send small pictures to all bluetooth
> devices in range (it's used by a museum ).
> This software is made in C using bluez api, I've used two bluetooth
> dongles : one to make periodic inquiry (not with HCI periodic inquiry
> command by with a loop) and the other to make sdp query looking for
> obex push service and sending image.
> My requirement was to use this software in some embedded linux based
> computer so I chose to limit external library, I made all using
> pthread so there is an infinite thread for inquiries and one thread
> to handle every sdp query and relative connection when devices are
> discovered. I've discarded also using python or other scripting
> languages for the platfom limitations.
>
> All works but I found it not so efficient, also with 6/7 devices it's
> really slow to identify and connect to devices, some times connection
> are unexpectedly closed and so on....

A lot of people tried to make this work and there are ways to make it
work as efficient as possible. However you need an understanding on how
the Bluetooth radio and baseband are working and what the limits are.
For example using one or two threads doesn't give anything useful. This
is the wrong approach to start with. No excuses. You are simply blocking
the baseband with your random attempts. It is also better to use
periodic inquiry or explicitly cancel an inquiry when you wanna page the
remote device for a SDP query. It also makes sense to use the class of
device to a pre-filter on remote devices that actually support object
transfer.

Run a "hcidump -X -V" during your scans and connect attempts and you see
the errors that will present themself when you try to page during an
inquiry. The kernel takes care of a lot of stuff, but it is not psychic.

> Is it my approch to the problem wrong or bluetooth protocol is not
> suitable for this type of use?

Do you have any choice when it comes to communicate with mobile phones?

> I'm using libs version 3.7-1 (on debian 4.0)

The latest version is 3.22 :)

Regards

Marcel

by jm