2008-02-24 18:37:41

by Bastien Nocera

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Option for more-"gnomey" settings

Heya,

As you know, I have a problem with a few settings in bluez-gnome not
matching up with the philosophy/target for GNOME.

Right now it's:
- "Use HAL" settings, and associated device selection
- Sharing properties, which conflict with gnome-user-share (where we
want to have most of the sharing preferences for GNOME, including
sharing the screen using vino, etc.)

Would you accept a patch to add a --enable-gnome to configure to hide
those settings away when bluez-gnome is compiled for use in the GNOME
desktop? Or would you prefer a run-time option?

Cheers

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Option for more-"gnomey" settings

Hi Bastien,

> > > As you know, I have a problem with a few settings in bluez-gnome not
> > > matching up with the philosophy/target for GNOME.
> > >
> > > Right now it's:
> > > - "Use HAL" settings, and associated device selection
> >
> > you know that the class of device selection will disappear when
> > enabling the HAL setting. I did that a few releases ago.
>
> Which is something that the HIG says shouldn't be done. The button
> should be visible, but disabled.
>
> I'm actually asking for the "Use HAL" checkbox to not even be there.

if you wanna set a GConf value to make this go away. I am fine with it.
However with BlueZ 4.x I might seriously consider moving this into
bluez-utils anyway. Doing this within the UI is wrong. There is no need
for doing it there. Seemed like a good idea to have the class of device
configurable when we create BlueZ 3.x, but now I don't think that it
should be configured from the UI at all.

> > > - Sharing properties, which conflict with gnome-user-share (where we
> > > want to have most of the sharing preferences for GNOME, including
> > > sharing the screen using vino, etc.)
> >
> > You can easily add an option to gnome-user-share for setting the GConf
> > value that bluez-gnome is using. The whole incoming connection/accept
> > thing should be handled inside bluetooth-applet.
>
> Any particular reasons that should be the case? There's no telling that
> the bluetooth-applet will be running when that happens.

And there is no reason that gnome-user-share is running. You do need
support for pairing and that is handled within bluetooth-applet. Not
having the applet running won't allow you to successfully connect and
authenticate new devices.

> > And as I mentioned the gnome-user-share dependency chain of the
> > distros is crazy. As long as it drags Apache + WebDAV into my desktop,
> > I am against it.
>
> Why is that so bad? It's a pretty small compared to say, docbook
> stylesheets (weighs in at 2.7 megs on an x86-64), and it means that all
> the sharing UI are in one place.

Of course there are other bad dependencies, but why do have to install
Apache when you want to share files over Bluetooth. I simply don't get
it. We depend on obex-data-server and then bluez-gnome and that's it.

> > > Would you accept a patch to add a --enable-gnome to configure to hide
> > > those settings away when bluez-gnome is compiled for use in the GNOME
> > > desktop? Or would you prefer a run-time option?
> >
> > I prefer if you use the GConf values that bluez-gnome uses and move
> > all Bluetooth related interaction into bluetooth-applet instead of
> > hacking it into some other applications and bloat the dependencies.
>
> Bloat what dependencies? We're not bloating the bluez-gnome
> dependencies, and gnome-user-share is already a default installation on
> many GNOME installations.

But not on all. See my point above.

> > If you really wanna shrink the settings of bluetooth-properties, we
> > can do that at runtime with a GConf setting. I have no problem with
> > that. I am against compile time options.
>
> Ok. I'll prepare a patch for that. I guess this shouldn't have a UI
> though, right? :)

No. Simply define a GConf value and let me confirm it and then we can
disable these elements.

Regards

Marcel

by Stefan Seyfried

Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 13:08 +0100, Stefan Seyfried wrote =

>> bluez-gnome is still somewhat the "reference bt applet" IIUC correctly, =
and i
>> am happy not having to install gnome just to be able to look at it ;-)
> =

> And where does anyone say that those dependencies will be added to
> bluez-gnome?

This was probably a misconception of mine. Sorry for that.
-- =

Stefan Seyfried
R&D Team Mobile Devices | "Any ideas, John?"
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, N=FCrnberg | "Well, surrounding them's out."

This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers:
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG N=FCrnberg)

by Bastien Nocera