2007-01-18 06:08:53

by Choi Sonim

Subject: [Bluez-devel] /sys/devices/platform/bluetooth

hello to all,

Where is the code that does the platform registration to this device :
/sys/devices/platform/bluetooth
?

I don't find it...

thank you a lot
Choi.

by Choi Sonim

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] /sys/devices/platform/bluetooth

Thank You So Very Much.

Choi^^

2007-01-19 01:02:50

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Choi,

> > > What is the purpose of the bluetooth platform device (and bus and class..) ?
> > >
> > > I guess that bluetooth devices would prefer to register themselves as children
> > > of their true bus (like USB or PCI or even serial) so when the system goes
> > > to suspend, their suspend function will be called before their father's
> > > (the true hardware bus of our bluetooth device).
> >
> > if they do have a physical parent. Some devices like virtual HCI or
> > serial based chips don't have a physical parent.
>
> About the serial based chips -
> I'm sure they would like their suspend function to be called before the
> serial uart driver's suspend, so for them to set device parent to the
> serial device
> can be a benefit too, no ?

if you write a chip specific driver then yes. For all line discipline
based ones at the moment, you are simply out of luck.

> About the virtual HCI - I really don't know what are them, can you please
> explain this ?

You can emulate a HCI host device in userspace using hciemu.

Regards

Marcel

by Choi Sonim

Hi Marcel,

On 1/19/07, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Choi,

> > > you find it in net/bluetooth/hci_sysfs.c in the kernel source code.
> >
> > What is the purpose of the bluetooth platform device (and bus and class..) ?
> >
> > I guess that bluetooth devices would prefer to register themselves as children
> > of their true bus (like USB or PCI or even serial) so when the system goes
> > to suspend, their suspend function will be called before their father's
> > (the true hardware bus of our bluetooth device).
>
> if they do have a physical parent. Some devices like virtual HCI or
> serial based chips don't have a physical parent.

About the serial based chips -
I'm sure they would like their suspend function to be called before the
serial uart driver's suspend, so for them to set device parent to the
serial device
can be a benefit too, no ?

About the virtual HCI - I really don't know what are them, can you please
explain this ?

Thank You Very very Much !
Choi.

> Regards
>
> Marcel

2007-01-18 23:52:23

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Choi,

> > > Where is the code that does the platform registration to this device :
> > > /sys/devices/platform/bluetooth
> >
> > you find it in net/bluetooth/hci_sysfs.c in the kernel source code.
>
> What is the purpose of the bluetooth platform device (and bus and class..) ?
>
> I guess that bluetooth devices would prefer to register themselves as children
> of their true bus (like USB or PCI or even serial) so when the system goes
> to suspend, their suspend function will be called before their father's
> (the true hardware bus of our bluetooth device).

if they do have a physical parent. Some devices like virtual HCI or
serial based chips don't have a physical parent.

Regards

Marcel

by Choi Sonim

Hi Hi,

On 1/18/07, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Where is the code that does the platform registration to this device :
> > /sys/devices/platform/bluetooth
>
> you find it in net/bluetooth/hci_sysfs.c in the kernel source code.

What is the purpose of the bluetooth platform device (and bus and class..) ?

I guess that bluetooth devices would prefer to register themselves as children
of their true bus (like USB or PCI or even serial) so when the system goes
to suspend, their suspend function will be called before their father's
(the true hardware bus of our bluetooth device).

Am I right ?

thanks you,
choi.

> Regards