2004-12-09 20:23:33

by Jeff Wilson

Subject: [Bluez-devel] setting inquiry and inquiry_scan parameters

Browsing through the gmane archives, I found this nugget of wisdom:

<quote url=http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.bluez.devel/1696>
From: Steven Singer <steven.singer <at> csr.com>
Subject: Re: Parameters of the Bluetooth standard in BlueZ...
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:58:04 +0000

... <snip> ...

BlueZ does have control over the total inquiry length and, on the
scanning side, the time between entering inquiry scans and the amount
of time spend in a scan each time.

</quote>

I realize this post is over 9 months old, but I'm trying to write an
application that does these very kinds of things. Can someone tell me
more about the specifics of how to tweak these numbers? I'm guessing
it's related to HCI ... ?

Thanks,
jw

by Peter Wippich

Hi Marcel, Hi Jeff,

Inquiry duration is a parameter of the Inquiry command.

Inquiry scan Interval and Inquiry Scan Window can be set by the HCI
command Write_Inquiry_Scan_Activity. However, I've not checked if this is
implemented by every baseband chip. It shall be possible with BlueZ to
issue those HCI commands directly (see HCITOOL for arbitrary commands).

Ciao,

Peter

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> > I realize this post is over 9 months old, but I'm trying to write an
> > application that does these very kinds of things. Can someone tell me
> > more about the specifics of how to tweak these numbers? I'm guessing
> > it's related to HCI ... ?
>
> nothing has changed since then. You can only tweak things you find an
> HCI command for.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

| Peter Wippich Voice: +49 30 46776411 |
| G&W Instruments GmbH fax: +49 30 46776419 |
| Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25, Geb. 12 Email: [email protected] |
| D-13355 Berlin / Germany |

by James Cameron

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 02:23:33PM -0600, Jeff Wilson wrote:
> I realize this post is over 9 months old, but I'm trying to write an
> application that does these very kinds of things. Can someone tell me
> more about the specifics of how to tweak these numbers? I'm guessing
> it's related to HCI ... ?

It's in the man page for hciconfig, the inqparams keyword. It took me a
while to figure out experimentally what paging and inquiry were; they
weren't explained in the man page. But I ended up with my application
modifying the inquiry responsiveness in expectation of a connection. My
application was two Debian add-on packages for setting up a poor-mans
wireless IP using two dongles.

http://quozl.linux.org.au/bluetooth/

e.g. my quozl-bluez-server package increases the paging and inquiry rate
in anticipation of a connection, in a per-package hotplug.sh script;

hciconfig hci0 pageparams 18:512
hciconfig hci0 inqparams 18:512

then once the connection arrives, the dev-up.sh script returns the
parameters to what I once found they were;

hciconfig hci0 pageparams 18:2048
hciconfig hci0 inqparams 18:2048

I've no idea what the side effects may be, but it made it more
responsive.

No doubt an application can do what hciconfig does if it needs to.
Check the source.

--
James Cameron http://quozl.netrek.org/
HP Open Source, Volunteer http://opensource.hp.com/