2006-07-26 15:12:33

by Jeff Wilson

Subject: [Bluez-devel] DBus and BlueZ 3.x

I've been following the list for a while, but I never picked up on
what exactly DBus does for BlueZ. It is my understanding that in
BlueZ before 3.0, the socket() interface for userland API is
implemented by an ioctl() interface to the kernel. In BlueZ 3.x, is
all the HCI is handled by passing messages via DBus instead of
ioctl()?

If this conversation is already laid to rest in the archives, please
send me a URL.

Thanks for your time,
Jeff

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] DBus and BlueZ 3.x

Hi Jeff,

> I've been following the list for a while, but I never picked up on
> what exactly DBus does for BlueZ. It is my understanding that in
> BlueZ before 3.0, the socket() interface for userland API is
> implemented by an ioctl() interface to the kernel. In BlueZ 3.x, is
> all the HCI is handled by passing messages via DBus instead of
> ioctl()?

with our D-Bus API for BlueZ we provide a really nice an easy
configuration interface that can be used without linking the Bluetooth
library or be bound the C/C++ language.

Regards

Marcel