2004-01-10 10:33:33

by Ron Murray

Subject: [Bluez-devel] bt950 driver

I got an AmbiCom BT2000-CF module to use with my Zaurus. It worked
essentially out of the box, but it was a few days before I noticed
that the transfer rate on a PAN connection was abysmally slow (5K
bytes/sec or so). Neither hciconfig nor ifconfig showed any evidence
of packets being dropped, so it wasn't a bad link. Besides, it was
still bad with the modules next to each other.

After lots of attempts, I managed to compile the bt950 driver
pointed to by your website for my (i386) laptop, and get it
working. Transfer rate also turned out to be around 5K/sec, so it's
either a hardware problem (or limitation!), or a driver problem. I was
able to get a PAN connection from my laptop using a Tecom BT3030 USB
dongle (same as on the server), and here the transfer rate was closer
to what I'd expect (around 50-60K bytes/sec).

Some questions:

- I know the bt950 driver isn't in the mainstream Bluez code: what's
the current status of it? I used v0.1, which seems to be the only
one around.

- Should I expect a better transfer rate out of a UART dongle? This
rate might be appropriate for a UART baud rate of 80 Kbits or so,
but I'm sure, from looking at the oxcf950 data sheet, that we should
be able to go a lot higher than that.

- I got lots of "Permission denied" errors when trying to modprobe the
bt950_cs module, which turned out to be caused by the Card Services
version check near the end of bt950_cs.c. I use the module version
pf pcmcia_cs (recommended for 2.4 kernels, I believe), but the
driver gets its version from /usr/src/linux/include/pcmcia, which is
several versions behind. I commented out the "return -1" line and it
seems to work (at least for a test, which is all I need), but
there's got to be a better way.

- Any suggestions for improving the transfer rate?

.....Ron

--
Ron Murray ([email protected])
http://www.rjmx.net/~ron