2005-10-04 16:32:23

by Robert Wlaschin

Subject: RE: [Bluez-devel] Cannot send through serial device rfcomm

I appreciate the heads up.

In regards to the type of communication, I'm trying to create a BT serial
connection. The device I'm attempting to connect to is actually a weight
scale (medical device). It doesn't support any other services. I probably
need to add that I changed rfcomm.conf to listen, bind, and connect for
rfcomm0. Note: The last time I used linux was in college and it was only to
compile my assignments, so I'm not savvy.

If you are at all familiar with Windows XP, I can use Hyperterminal to
communicate with the meter simply by typing commands in the terminal area
but for this to work I have to assign a port to the BT adapter.

Thanks,
Robert

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcel Holtmann
To: [email protected]
Sent: 10/4/05 04:16

Hi Robert,

please stop using HTML emails and especially don't use colors. The good
old plain ASCII is enough.

> I'm cross-compiling for an Arm processor using a Debian 2.6.10 kernel
> with bluez-utils/lib 2.21, and bluez-hcidump 2.25 w/ a brainbox usb
> adapter for rs-232 replacement (CSR chipset)
>
> I'm having a problem communicating through the /dev/rfcomm0 device. I
> thought that once the device was connected it would be have like a
> serial device and I could do this ...
>
> cat /dev/rfcomm0 > myfile.dat
> echo AT > /dev/rfcomm0
>
> Am I assuming correctly? If not what am I missing? Do I need to use
> the pppd or the dund to communicate? Am I in the wrong mode (master
> vs slave).
>
> If this should work please look at my log files, I'm executing
> these commands ...
>
> hcid
> sdpd
> sdptool add SP
> rfcomm bind 0 XX:XX ...

I think you made a big mistake in understanding how Bluetooth and Linux
are working. Describe what kind of communication you try to achieve and
then we might be able to help you.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Robert,

> In regards to the type of communication, I'm trying to create a BT
> serial connection. The device I'm attempting to connect to is
> actually a weight scale (medical device). It doesn't support any
> other services. I probably need to add that I changed rfcomm.conf to
> listen, bind, and connect for rfcomm0. Note: The last time I used
> linux was in college and it was only to compile my assignments, so I'm
> not savvy.

you need to do a "rfcomm bind 0 <bdaddr> <channel>" and you will get a
new /dev/rfcomm0 TTY device. Now use a terminal program like minicom or
cu for the communication.

Regards

Marcel