2005-11-08 20:22:45

by Robert Wlaschin

Subject: RE: [Bluez-devel] textfile.c find_key

Marcel,

Normally I would agree with you but I tried it and there came a NULL -- to
my great surprise. I could have a bug in the kernel I'm using or something
else. If you aren't sure you can always try it out yourself and if I'm
wrong there you go. If you could let me know the results you get I would
appreciate it.

I ran textfile_get on a file that is size 0. This should replicate the bug
for you. I used test_textfile to test both the problem and the 'fix' --
sadly, being that the mmap documentation says that 0 cannot be returned, I
would say that the fix is a farce and mmap should be fixed instead.

Thanks,
Robert

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcel Holtmann [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 11:55 AM
To: [email protected]

Hi Robert,

> Not sure if you are interested in this but in the file textfile.c,
> function find_key. If map is ever NULL the strstr will segment fault.
> An instance of this happening would be when the key file was empty.
> This might happen if a Linux Op was removing keys that were
> invalidated by a lost pairing. I feel that in general checking for a
> NULL is better than not.

how can map be NULL? Check "man mmap" about the return value of mmap().

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Robert,

> Normally I would agree with you but I tried it and there came a NULL
> -- to my great surprise. I could have a bug in the kernel I'm using
> or something else. If you aren't sure you can always try it out
> yourself and if I'm wrong there you go. If you could let me know the
> results you get I would appreciate it.
>
> I ran textfile_get on a file that is size 0. This should replicate
> the bug for you. I used test_textfile to test both the problem and
> the 'fix' -- sadly, being that the mmap documentation says that 0
> cannot be returned, I would say that the fix is a farce and mmap
> should be fixed instead.

I can't reproduce this problem. On a file with size 0 the textfile_get()
returns NULL as it should be. No segmentation fault or any other problem
so far. Maybe the kernel or your glibc is broken. What do you use?

Regards

Marcel